The Student Room Group

Why do politicians never promise to increase immigration in an election campaign?

---
N-one actively wants more immigration. People either want it lowered or to stay more or less the same.
Original post by MildredMalone
N-one actively wants more immigration. People either want it lowered or to stay more or less the same.

I'm not sure. The anti immigration lobby are very loud. But at the same someone is employing our new arrivals.

It is like housing. No one wants housing on the green belt but there is akso a chronic shortage of houses. Sadly, it is the anto house building lobby that are always heard.
Reply 3
Because so many people now believe that immigration is a negative thing that pledging to increase it would essentially be political suicide.
Original post by ByEeek
I'm not sure. The anti immigration lobby are very loud. But at the same someone is employing our new arrivals.

It is like housing. No one wants housing on the green belt but there is akso a chronic shortage of houses. Sadly, it is the anto house building lobby that are always heard.

I think fewer people coming in is a fair price to pay to keep the green belt.
Original post by Onde
Mainstream politicians never advocate increasing immigration, except for skilled jobs where we are lacking the workforce. There is actually a good economic case for increasing immigration, but you are unlikely to hear the main parties talking about it.
There is also a good economic case to get rid of workers rights but the mainstream parties will never talk about. The same also applies to slavery.

There
If you promise to lower immigration to the tens of thousands and fail to deliver, the dribbling idiots will still vote for you. Why not stick to a winning formula?
Reply 7
Because immigration is the lazy short term solution to not teaching and training our kids well enough.

Immigration might be a good thing (don't need to get into that yet), but it shouldn't be a national government's priority over its own citizens.
Original post by MildredMalone
I think fewer people coming in is a fair price to pay to keep the green belt.

And for natives? Although strictly speaking we are all descended from immigrants of one type or another?
There is enough immigration as it is without encouraging more.
Politicians aim to get more voters and most people don't want more immigration - this was made abundantly clear when Brexit was proposed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending