First car - Mustang? Watch

That'sGreat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm thinking about what to get for my first car, and was wondering how much a first car would usually cost. Also, I'm looking at a Ford Mustang that's in pretty good condition, but was wondering if anyone know if this would ramp up the insurance and if mustangs are safe or not
Xopher_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by That'sGreat)
I'm thinking about what to get for my first car, and was wondering how much a first car would usually cost. Also, I'm looking at a Ford Mustang that's in pretty good condition, but was wondering if anyone know if this would ramp up the insurance and if mustangs are safe or not
Good luck getting insurance lower than 10k annually if you've just passed your test or whatever
That'sGreat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xopher_)
Good luck getting insurance lower than 10k annually if you've just passed your test or whatever
Any car or just for the mustang?
Xopher_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Any car or just for the mustang?
Mustang
That'sGreat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xopher_)
Mustang
Do you know for they're reliable cars? Like don't break down too often?
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A mustang will Ben £1000s on insurance if you've be just passed.

Look at something with a much smaller engine and you'll be fine.
That'sGreat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jack22031994)
A mustang will Ben £1000s on insurance if you've be just passed.

Look at something with a much smaller engine and you'll be fine.
Above 5000 a year?
Xopher_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Above 5000 a year?
Yes I was looking at Golf r's and if I got one now the insurance would be 15k annually. My current is 1.2 and it's £1850. Wait until you get older before you get anything fast, there is no rush and insurance will be a lot cheaper.
Jack22031994
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Above 5000 a year?
Yes id imagine so as a friends 1.0 litre Nissan Micra was £1,200 after they passed

Wait until you have several years of No Claims before even thinking of getting a car like a Mustang.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you having a laugh?
If you have a mustang as a first car- your insurance will be well over £5000, thats if you can get a quote at all (some places wont even insure you on that i bet).
Insurance is expensive for young, new drivers as it is. Have something more normal, reasonable and with a lot smaller engine for your first car. Especially for your first couple of years.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
:rofl: Mustang as a first car.

I'm sorry, but seriously...
theOrangeJuice
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It depends on where you live too, for my first year of driving a 1.2 it was just under £1,000 with a black box - now my second year is just over £700 without a black box. But a mustang as a first car! I would go cheap for the first year or two until you get more experience and are ready to handle a more powerful car.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ask your dad

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...i_400x400.jpeg
That'sGreat
Rep:
?
Funny
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
An older Mustang is a terrible car for the UK, and definitely not worth the insurance cost for a young person. They're built to be cheap, not good. IIRC, it's only very recently that they did away with the live rear axle :eek::doh:
Andi.
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sadly unless you have money to burn you are never getting that insured.

It would also be an awful first car as without driving experience, as the potential to have an accident all by yourself due to the power etc will be huge!

Generally American cars are rubbish anyway.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's gonna be ridiculously expensive so you're better off sticking with something sensible for a few years at least... even if you could afford it, it's hardly a smart move right now.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How long is a piece of string?

TPF&T or fully comprehensive?
When did you pass?
How old are you?
Where do you live?
What is your occupation?
Where will the car be kept during the day and at night?
How old is the car?
What is the engine size?
Is it left hand or right hand drive?
Auto or manual box?
Are you the only driver?
Are you a named driver on anyone else's insurance?

Seriously, this is a group 41+ car (2.3 engine rising to group 46 for the larger engines), with high running costs and even higher repair costs.

You are an inexperienced driver and depending on your age, will be in in the highest risk group.

If you can find someone to insure you at all, expect the costs to be astronomical and easily £5000+++ per annum. Don't be surprised at quotes in excess of £10,000.
That'sGreat
Rep:
?
(Original post by uberteknik)
How long is a piece of string?

TPF&T or fully comprehensive?
When did you pass?
How old are you?
Where do you live?
What is your occupation?
Where will the car be kept during the day and at night?
How old is the car?
What is the engine size?
Is it left hand or right hand drive?
Auto or manual box?
Are you the only driver?
Are you a named driver on anyone else's insurance?

Seriously, this is a group 41+ car (2.3 engine rising to group 46 for the larger engines), with high running costs and even higher repair costs.

You are an inexperienced driver and depending on your age, will be in in the highest risk group.

If you can find someone to insure you at all, expect the costs to be astronomical and easily £5000+++ per annum. Don't be surprised at quotes in excess of £10,000.

Ok thanks for the help. Do you have any suggestions for a good first car that still looks as good as a mustang (or at least close to it)? My budget is probably 20k including insurance
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ok thanks for the help. Do you have any suggestions for a good first car that still looks as good as a mustang (or at least close to it)? My budget is probably 20k including insurance
Use it for a house deposit or apartment. It makes no sense at all to waste this much money on a first car. If you still insist on burning that much cash, at least go for one with good fuel economy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (135)
54%
18-20 years old (no) (30)
12%
20-25 years old (yes) (39)
15.6%
20-25 years old (no) (4)
1.6%
25-30 years old (yes) (18)
7.2%
25-30 years old (no) (0)
0%
30-40 years old (yes) (12)
4.8%
30-40 years old (no) (1)
0.4%
40+ years old (yes) (5)
2%
40+ years old (no) (6)
2.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise