The Student Room Group

Aqa a level history help?

So AQA have 2 exams for history & in one of the papers you are told to read a few extracts & have to argue which is the most convincing extract. I just want to know how tf does one structure these questions? We are told to explain why its not convincing for evaluation too but i always struggle with this. I always tend to get like 17/30 or 18/30 but never higher than that.

If anyone has any good tips or ideas on how to structure this kind of question it would be much appreciated. Good luck with anyone doing their exams
Hiya -

For Paper 1 - your breadth study - I have been taught to go straight into the analysis of the historian's argument. Identify what they are arguing, and then use evidence to either support or question their argument. I structure my essay by writing two paragraphs per source - I start with the convincing arguments, then the unconvincing ones, and then write a mini-conclusion assessing on the whole whether or not their extract is convincing.

Paper 2 - your depth study - is an entirely different technique looking at the value of the original historical documents as opposed to a historian's interpretation. You are encouraged to question how useful it is to a historian studying that area. This is your provenance/content and argument/tone and emphasis section.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending