Sadgirl101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm really stressing about my as levels as I know I haven't worked hard enough this year most regrettably and am wondering if any students have managed to turn things around during A2 year and fix poor grades to get into competitive fields (my GCSEs were good) and I want to do medicine - all my teachers are doubting me and it makes me feel like there's no point trying

Please help
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sadgirl101)
I'm really stressing about my as levels as I know I haven't worked hard enough this year most regrettably and am wondering if any students have managed to turn things around during A2 year and fix poor grades to get into competitive fields (my GCSEs were good) and I want to do medicine - all my teachers are doubting me and it makes me feel like there's no point trying

Please help
Hi there! Sorry to hear about the doubt expressed by your teachers :hugs:. Are you in your AS year thinking you'll need to do better next year? It's definitely possible to turn things around!
Sadgirl101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
Hi there! Sorry to hear about the doubt expressed by your teachers :hugs:. Are you in your AS year thinking you'll need to do better next year? It's definitely possible to turn things around!
Yeah that's right I'm in year 12 and I know i haven't worked as hard as I should i just really hope it's not too late, a levels are now linear so AS's are a seperate qualification (everything is assessed again for A2 year) so I know it's harder next year because there's even more content...

Thank you so much for the reply
Grapple
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Please help

I`m going to guarantee you you can definitely fix your grades in A2. I`m in A2 and screwed up in yr 12 so my grades were awful, but i managed to turn things upside down during A2 and just like i did it, it`s definitely not impossible for you either

the thing is with A2 it somehow becomes easier, because you`ve picked up the pace and realised how much the standard of work matters, so you tend to get better grades (or at least the majority of sixth formers i know, including myself, think so) i have faith you can definitely do it. No matter how your teachers treat you (my teachers don`t have much faith in me either lmao) YOU are the one who knows yourself and knows that you are capable of doing this. I, for one definitely have seen massive amounts of improvement - i went from Ds in AS to now As and i`m looking for those A*`s so literally just please don`t doubt yourself ;D
Sadgirl101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mimi9335)
I`m going to guarantee you you can definitely fix your grades in A2. I`m in A2 and screwed up in yr 12 so my grades were awful, but i managed to turn things upside down during A2 and just like i did it, it`s definitely not impossible for you either

the thing is with A2 it somehow becomes easier, because you`ve picked up the pace and realised how much the standard of work matters, so you tend to get better grades (or at least the majority of sixth formers i know, including myself, think so) i have faith you can definitely do it. No matter how your teachers treat you (my teachers don`t have much faith in me either lmao) YOU are the one who knows yourself and knows that you are capable of doing this. I, for one definitely have seen massive amounts of improvement - i went from Ds in AS to now As and i`m looking for those A*`s so literally just please don`t doubt yourself ;D
Well done on the improvement and thank you so much for this reply, really makes me want to work harder good luck with your A2s!!
Chichaldo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Some AS do not even count for the next year, such as my history and physics exams, further mathematics, mathematics and law counted by I resat two maths exams and a law exams after getting Cs in them (I did not resit the year, just the exams for those). You can always turn it around, no one knows yourself better than you, even your teachers. You know how much work you can do, most AS stuff becomes a lot easier after a second year.
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't worry. The only **** you'll have to deal with is all this nonsense about predicted grades due to AS exams dictating your entry to a University. If you're on the new system, you can probably persuade your teachers to predict otherwise: I messed up my math exams due to a bunch of stuff I wont discuss, but my Math teacher last year (great gal, was splendid) predicted higher grades purely for the sake of a Uni application because she trusted me. Needless to say, just rely on your teachers and tell them genuinely how you'll improve, and then do it, and you'll be fine. You need to show your teachers that you care.

My story would be panic attacks in my final Physics A-Level. Let me tell you, my bottle of water was crammed with the nastiest stinkiest most foul painkillers you're meant to swallow, just to keep me awake and to give me a kick in the arse to get through the exam. My second exam was a 90+% exam, with the first being a sad 10/75... that's the painful reality of life. Turned it around though, and fixed the exam stress. U in Bio mocks were fixed too, same for Maths (albeit still panicky)

Either way, it's definitely possible to go from a U to an A* if you try well, and I'm sure that if you mean what you're saying you'll make it just fine. I know that there are some folks in my Phys class who went from a U last year to a B or A this year, which is pretty darned amazing. If you ever need any Bio or Maths assistance, feel free to ask... just steer the Chemistry away, I've no clue on that xD
Sadgirl101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Callicious)
Don't worry. The only **** you'll have to deal with is all this nonsense about predicted grades due to AS exams dictating your entry to a University. If you're on the new system, you can probably persuade your teachers to predict otherwise: I messed up my math exams due to a bunch of stuff I wont discuss, but my Math teacher last year (great gal, was splendid) predicted higher grades purely for the sake of a Uni application because she trusted me. Needless to say, just rely on your teachers and tell them genuinely how you'll improve, and then do it, and you'll be fine. You need to show your teachers that you care.

My story would be panic attacks in my final Physics A-Level. Let me tell you, my bottle of water was crammed with the nastiest stinkiest most foul painkillers you're meant to swallow, just to keep me awake and to give me a kick in the arse to get through the exam. My second exam was a 90+% exam, with the first being a sad 10/75... that's the painful reality of life. Turned it around though, and fixed the exam stress. U in Bio mocks were fixed too, same for Maths (albeit still panicky)

Either way, it's definitely possible to go from a U to an A* if you try well, and I'm sure that if you mean what you're saying you'll make it just fine. I know that there are some folks in my Phys class who went from a U last year to a B or A this year, which is pretty darned amazing. If you ever need any Bio or Maths assistance, feel free to ask... just steer the Chemistry away, I've no clue on that xD
Wow thank you so so much for the reply!! I really appreciate the reassurance which year are you currently in if you don't mind me asking?
Sadgirl101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chichaldo)
Some AS do not even count for the next year, such as my history and physics exams, further mathematics, mathematics and law counted by I resat two maths exams and a law exams after getting Cs in them (I did not resit the year, just the exams for those). You can always turn it around, no one knows yourself better than you, even your teachers. You know how much work you can do, most AS stuff becomes a lot easier after a second year.

Thank you so much for the reply!
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Dw just wait till results day I feel the same.as you but I have been revising a lot through the year just silly exam stress
FabStudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wouldn't even worry about it I'm in the exact same position and I really believe next year I'll turn all my grades around. Don't let teachers put doubt in your mind and predicted grades literally mean nothing to me. Get this - my predicted grade for Biology is a D, but I got an A and a B in my recent mocks. Like what the hell? They went down from a C too. Probably because my attendance is 89%
FabStudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mimi9335)

That's amazing!
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Wow thank you so so much for the reply!! I really appreciate the reassurance which year are you currently in if you don't mind me asking?
Second
username2494971
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Please help
I am in the exact same position. But i can tell that not only are others doubting you, you are doubting yourself. Stop doubting yourself, you got good grades at GCSE and if you work for it yes u can turn it around just keep trying and dont give up.

and there will be moments where you do feel like giving up but dont because you need to prove them wrong.
Chichaldo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so much for the reply!
Np, all the best
Grapple
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by FabStudent)
That's amazing!
thanks! it`s reassuring when you see improvement ;D

Well done on the improvement and thank you so much for this reply, really makes me want to work harder good luck with your A2s!!
Thank you!! I`m happy to have been of help ~~
and goodluck with your AS exams, too
THE_ROCK_WWE
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"Three choices in life: Give up, Give in or Give It Your All" --- THE ROCK

Just give it your all you little jabroni and make Rocky proud.

(It is possible with retakes or with the new A levels there is little reason to be
worrying)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
18.64%
I'm not sure (2)
1.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (35)
29.66%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.54%
I'm not a current university student (56)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed