My Policy black box top up miles cost Watch

TMath1999
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Im looking at taking out a black box insurance policy with the company 'my policy'. The only thing holding me back is I can not find out how much top up miles will cost. Insure the box told me how much top up miles will cost however it ends up costing more than my policy. I was just wondering if anyone on here has had to purchase top up miles from my policy and how much it cost them? I am aware that it varies from quote to quote but the quote i got was around 1300 so that can be used a marker point so we can compare.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TMath1999)
Im looking at taking out a black box insurance policy with the company 'my policy'. The only thing holding me back is I can not find out how much top up miles will cost. Insure the box told me how much top up miles will cost however it ends up costing more than my policy. I was just wondering if anyone on here has had to purchase top up miles from my policy and how much it cost them? I am aware that it varies from quote to quote but the quote i got was around 1300 so that can be used a marker point so we can compare.
Top up miles are one of the biggest scams in black box insurance. When getting your initial quote, overestimate your mileage rather than underestimate it, then you will pay less.

Alternatively.. don't get a black box..
TMath1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
Top up miles are one of the biggest scams in black box insurance. When getting your initial quote, overestimate your mileage rather than underestimate it, then you will pay less.

Alternatively.. don't get a black box..
i understand that, but as a 17 year old driver and not being able to pay 2k insurance for no black box i have to get a blackbox. Also if I overestimate the amount of miles i will end up doing, im getting into the realms of 2k.

Do you know what top up miles will cost of my policy?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i understand that, but as a 17 year old driver and not being able to pay 2k insurance for no black box i have to get a blackbox. Also if I overestimate the amount of miles i will end up doing, im getting into the realms of 2k.

Do you know what top up miles will cost of my policy?
You're going to have to face facts - you're going to be paying in the region of 2k either way unless you're prepared to just stop driving for the rest of the year once you hit your mileage limit. Black box insurance is designed to seem cheap, but it's all the little add-ons and fines that make them the money.

With the absolute greatest of respect, if you cannot afford the outlay for insurance, how on earth will you afford to maintain a car? I'm not trying to be rude, only realistic.

RoyalSheepy Emma:-) Reality Check (Perhaps you guys can give some input here)

[A bit of googling found several bad reviews noting that the cost of addon miles was incredibly expensive]
theOrangeJuice
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have a black box from admiral and it's been pretty good. Most people complain about it saying they've been going too fast or braking too much but my box has been gold most of the time! Either i'm a really good driver or the box is pretty fair.

On admiral after about a month or two it'll tell you if it thinks you're going to go over the mileage but mine didn't so im not sure what it says, probably "do less trips". They do top ups of miles if you're running out, but i'm pretty sure you can change your policy miles to a higher one if you think you're going to use them up - this shouldn't cost "too much". The best thing to do is to ring them up and ask them.
TMath1999
Rep:
?
You're going to have to face facts - you're going to be paying in the region of 2k either way unless you're prepared to just stop driving for the rest of the year once you hit your mileage limit. Black box insurance is designed to seem cheap, but it's all the little add-ons and fines that make them the money.

With the absolute greatest of respect, if you cannot afford the outlay for insurance, how on earth will you afford to maintain a car? I'm not trying to be rude, only realistic.

[A bit of googling found several bad reviews noting that the cost of addon miles was incredibly expensive]
That is exactly what im worried about, i can see the blackbox just taking away all the freedom a car is suppose to bring.

however I will be able to maintain a car because £30 a week on petrol and any car problems being handled by a mechanic friend of mine its is do able with the job I have however a lump sum of £2k isnt. Ive been told by insure the box that an extra 2000 miles is about £200/300 so I thought someone may be able to tell me wether my policy charges the same kind of rates.
TMath1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by theOrangeJuice)
I have a black box from admiral and it's been pretty good. Most people complain about it saying they've been going too fast or braking too much but my box has been gold most of the time! Either i'm a really good driver or the box is pretty fair.

On admiral after about a month or two it'll tell you if it thinks you're going to go over the mileage but mine didn't so im not sure what it says, probably "do less trips". They do top ups of miles if you're running out, but i'm pretty sure you can change your policy miles to a higher one if you think you're going to use them up - this shouldn't cost "too much". The best thing to do is to ring them up and ask them.
ill have a look at admrial however the cheapest boxes with a reasonable terms policy has been 'my policy'. Do you have any friends that have used 'my policy' and know the top up miles cost.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That is exactly what im worried about, i can see the blackbox just taking away all the freedom a car is suppose to bring.

however I will be able to maintain a car because £30 a week on petrol and any car problems being handled by a mechanic friend of mine its is do able with the job I have however a lump sum of £2k isnt. Ive been told by insure the box that an extra 2000 miles is about £200/300 so I thought someone may be able to tell me wether my policy charges the same kind of rates.
Bear in mind that whilst you may be getting cheap or free labour from your mate, parts can be expensive. Not to mention consumables (tyres, wiper blades, brake pads, etc).

Have you considered paying your insurance premium monthly? Granted you'll have to pay interest, but it can help you spread your payments out.

You'll find that all black box providers will offer similar pricing structures, and you can almost certainly guarantee that addon miles will cost more than getting a policy with that amount of miles in the first place.

Do a quote with the higher number of miles, and calculate the difference between quotes; this is a good indication of the price you'll be paying for addon miles +- £50 or so.
theOrangeJuice
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ill have a look at admrial however the cheapest boxes with a reasonable terms policy has been 'my policy'. Do you have any friends that have used 'my policy' and know the top up miles cost.
Nobody I know uses my policy, sorry. I forgot to say, mine was £900 for the first year and now i'm just about to start the second - I rang admiral up and asked it for without the box and it's now £700. I cannot stress enough that ringing them will solve a lot of problems usually, they'll explain everything as clear as possible - and if not, maybe that's not an insurer you'd want to be with.
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
IWMTom is completely correct; black box insurance is advertised to be a cheaper option, but in reality just really isn't. This is exactly the reason why I will never opt in for a black box policy, because at the end of the day I'll end up spending more money on "top-up miles" and is just one massive scam. And plus you're not going to be given a ridiculous score which may make them cancel your policy for harsh braking because the guy infront of you broke hard or when you're swerving away from a potential accident.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

TMath1999

I'm totally with IWMTom here. Top up miles are charged at silly prices, and, frankly, your budget of £30 for running costs and petrol seems a bit unrealistic to me. I appreciate your mate is going to do the work for you, but he's not going to give you the parts for free.

The only people who win with BlackBox policies are the insurer - that's the main reason they were created.
theOrangeJuice
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I feel like I'm the only one who didn't mind the blackbox. They're not as bad as I thought they were going to be.

Depending on where you drive and how you drive will see if £30 is enough, but it looks like you're doing a lot of miles so £30 won't be enough. Car parts are expensive, but if you look after your car you will be okay. I always kept a savings of more than the value of the car as if the repair was more than this then it was time to say goodbye to the car.

I'll keep being the positive one here 😂
TMath1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
TMath1999

I'm totally with IWMTom here. Top up miles are charged at silly prices, and, frankly, your budget of £30 for running costs and petrol seems a bit unrealistic to me. I appreciate your mate is going to do the work for you, but he's not going to give you the parts for free.

The only people who win with BlackBox policies are the insurer - that's the main reason they were created.
what I meant was £30 on petrol alone. I will have more than that to maintain the car.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree with IWMTom.
Black boxes are a load of ****. Im sorry to say that if you cant afford the insurance without one, then i would wait for a while until you can.
As has already been said, they say seem cheap for a start, but things like top up miles etc all cost extra, If they think your driving/scores not good enough etc, that all costs extra. You see where this is going.
The mileage limits arent always viable for some people (e.g. my sister needed her car to get to work- she was doing an apprenticeship at the time). Theres also the fact that quite a few companies have things like curfews at certain times of day. These may seem ok- but can be a pain in the arse. Ill use my sister as an example again- she needed her car for work, so it wasnt viable. Also what would you do in an emergency??
Theres also been several reports of people having trouble with them- the black boxes recording that you were speeding down X road, when in fact your car was sat on the drive all along. Your black box recording that you were speeding down X road when you actually driving under the limit down Y road. You get the picture.
You are better off having a normal policy. Or waiting until you can afford one. Theres all the usual stuff to try and get the price down. Just dont get a black box.
TMath1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by theOrangeJuice)
I feel like I'm the only one who didn't mind the blackbox. They're not as bad as I thought they were going to be.

Depending on where you drive and how you drive will see if £30 is enough, but it looks like you're doing a lot of miles so £30 won't be enough. Car parts are expensive, but if you look after your car you will be okay. I always kept a savings of more than the value of the car as if the repair was more than this then it was time to say goodbye to the car.

I'll keep being the positive one here 😂
I have already calculated my petrol costs so yes £30 will be enough.

glad you're able to stay positive. I live in a rural village and need to get a car to be able to get anywhere, no buses nothing ; and i only have money for a black box policy.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
glad you're able to stay positive. I live in a rural village and need to get a car to be able to get anywhere, no buses nothing ; and i only have money for a black box policy.
Hi,

I just want to note that we're not deliberately being obstructive or 'negative'. We're just trying to be realistic, to help you. I'm sorry you don't feel that way.
Sammylou40
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I and several others I've seen did not have good experiences with insure the box.
Put them to the bottom of your list is my advice
They "punish" you relentlessly with bonus miles etc
The criteria are ridiculously hard to adhere to
theOrangeJuice
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Here is how they deal with my miles:
Name:  Screenshot from 2017-05-29 13-22-30.png
Views: 717
Size:  18.8 KB They'll tell you in advance if they think you're going to go over. That way you can try and cut back on your miles.
And the scores? Some companies will be a pain in the butt, but here is mine - as you can see I don't travel very far but statistically these are more dangerous - (my average is 500 miles a month)Attachment 653966653968

Ignore the average speed and time.

I'd take a better look at comparison websites, you'll find an insurer without a blackbox should only be a few £100 more.

** I don't have a curfew or anything. My cars brakes were replaced when I first had the blackbox and therefore the garage slammed the brakes to test them - this came up as "bronze" but that's it, i didn't pay anything and they didn't tell me off for it - I could have rang them to say this is what it was but I didn't need to.
Attached files
TMath1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Hi,

I just want to note that we're not deliberately being obstructive or 'negative'. We're just trying to be realistic, to help you. I'm sorry you don't feel that way.
Hi,

I understand that you're just being realistic, however I started this thread to find out the exact price of top up miles from 'my policy', and without trying to sound rude as some of the information I have found out from the replies has been useful , nobody has really helped me with my initial query. I understand that black box's are a rip off, but so is £2k+ insurance without one. So overall it is a lose lose situation.
TMath1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sammylou40)
I and several others I've seen did not have good experiences with insure the box.
Put them to the bottom of your list is my advice
They "punish" you relentlessly with bonus miles etc
The criteria are ridiculously hard to adhere to
Thanks for the information, that has been noted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (56)
18.67%
Labour (120)
40%
Liberal Democrats (61)
20.33%
Green Party (22)
7.33%
Brexit Party (8)
2.67%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.33%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.67%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)