9-1 Edexcel Maths GCSE question

Watch this thread
geeorgie
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
can anyone do this question? it's from the mock set 1 paper 2 (calculator) and it's question 13.

Alex wants to find out how many ducks there are in a park.

One day he puts a tag on each of 30 of the ducks.
The next day he catches 40 ducks.
8 of these ducks have tags on them.

(i) Work out an estimate for the number of ducks in the park

Alex assumed the none of the tags fell off during the night.
(ii) If Alex's assumption is wrong, explain how this could affect your answer to part (i).
omegabuzz
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
So if you say he's found 30 out of X ducks, this ratio is similar to the ratio of the 8/40 ducks he found with tags on them, so 30/x=8/40. Use this to work out what X is.
For the second part if any of the tags fell off we can assume that he would have found more than 8 ducks with tags on, how does this affect x, you can use the example of 30/x=9/40 to find this out.
thekidwhogames
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I haven't learn this topic but basically:

Set up ratios and proportional equations e.g.
30/x = 8/40

30/x = 1/5
Thus x = 150. So estimated 150 around.

His assumption is that none of the tags fell therefore the proportion is correct. However, if any of the tags fell - it could affect the accuracy of his assumption and obviously in the second equation, there would >8/40 for the second equation. To explain this to you, let's assume that 2 fell therefore the actual number would be 10/40 or 1/4. Meaning 30/x = 1/4 therefore x = 120. So it would mean that there's less totan animals.

Again, these are just my logical reasoning - my board doesn't include this spec.
Ted.wardddd
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
8/40 = tagged30/x = 8/4030÷8 =3.7540 × 3.75 = 150Number of ducks =150
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
68.32%
In the post (4)
3.96%
Text (14)
13.86%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
13.86%

Watched Threads