question about writing definitions in physics exams

Watch this thread
Inker
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
1) say for example it asks you to define or state a law. like Wien's displacement law.
Can i just write the law like
or do i have to write "the black body radiation curve for different temperatures peaks at a wavelength inversely proportional to the temperature " - just got that from wikipedia.
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
A definition should definitely be written as a proper sentence. Most mark schemes will specify particular words that your definition must contain in order to get the mark.
Inker
Rep:
(Original post by Beth_H)
A definition should definitely be written as a proper sentence. Most mark schemes will specify particular words that your definition must contain in order to get the mark.
That doesn't really answer my specific example. Thank you though.
username3118454
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Inker)
1) say for example it asks you to define or state a law. like Wien's displacement law.
Can i just write the law like
or do i have to write "the black body radiation curve for different temperatures peaks at a wavelength inversely proportional to the temperature " - just got that from wikipedia.
You need to write it in words unfortunately. Not the wiki definition but the textbook one. What exam board btw? AQA?
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Inker)
That doesn't really answer my specific example. Thank you though.
Ah, sorry, I don't take physics so there's not really much I can say about the specific example, other than that the second definition you gave (the one from Wikipedia) is more like what examiners usually look for. It depends on the exam board, though.
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Just say maximum radiant energy flux is inversely proportional to temperature, then write the equation for guaranteed marks
Inker
Rep:
(Original post by angelike1)
You need to write it in words unfortunately. Not the wiki definition but the textbook one. What exam board btw? AQA?
oh pooh okay. well my physics teacher gave me a list of definitions and the definitions list just says the formula
I do OCR Physics A, y13
Inker
Rep:
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
Just say maximum radiant energy flux is inversely proportional to temperature, then write the equation for guaranteed marks
and I assume radiant energy flux = wavelength? :afraid:
okay thank you, i'll put that
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Inker)
and I assume radiant energy flux = wavelength? :afraid:
okay thank you, i'll put that
yes or peak wavelength, ive seen some questions in edexcel refer to them interchangeably
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed