The Student Room Group

A-level options

Hi, I am doing my GCSE's right now but for A- level I want to do Chemistry, Biology, English Literature and Art but people are saying this is a very bad combination. I want to study Medicine ( Hence why I am doing Chemistry and Biology but not doing maths as I don't think I am good enough to do it at A-level) but I want to keep my options open as I love English Literature and have had a sudden interest in Art even though I did not do it at A- level. Please give me an opinion of what I should do. The subjects I did at GCSE are Triple Sciences, English Lit and Lang, Maths, French, Classical Civilisation, Computing and History.
Chemistry and Biology is a must if you want to study medicine. However, you must consider if English and Art are considered 'soft subjects' by universities. Most universities that offer Medicine are Russell Group, which means most likely, they will consider Art a soft subject. I'm not too sure about English, I have an incline that that too is a soft subject for many universities.
If you want to do medicine, you need to be committed down the medicine route. You can have those a levels to keep your options open for things like Law, English degree, history, history of art etc etc

But for medicine, I know it says you only need chem and bio, but most applicants of good universities will have one of physics or maths :smile:

Do what you love.

I did English lit, maths physics chem. I did it to keep my options open and now I wish I did history because I loved it and because I love it I want to do a similair degree at univerisity!

Maths is a very flexible subject if you want to keep doors open but I dont recommend it if you are getting less than an A/A* at gcse
Reply 3
Chemistry, biology, and English lit are all facilitating (ie. 'hard' subjects) so they'll be absolutely fine for medicine. Instead of taking art as an a level, you should look at doing the Gold Art Award instead as it will still carry UCAS points and gives you more control over what your projects will be compared to the AS/A level course which would eat into the time you need to spend on the UK CAT/BMAT etc..

Quick Reply

Latest