U of Edinburgh or Manchester- which is better for undergrad Psych?

Watch
chris3312
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've been accepted at both but can't decide which option is better. Edinb is a 4 year programme which is going to cost me 1/3 more than at Manchester. But the latter has a work placement component worked into their curriculum so I'll get to experience a life of a psychologist 1st hand before I graduate. I'll also be done a year sooner and hopefully progress to a further degree & eventually get regstered with the BPS. The savings of a year in tuition fees would come in handy for grad school!
Anyone know if the course at U of Edinb is more research based with less practical focus than at U of Manch? I can see myself on the field rather than in academia eventually. Which uni should I accept?
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by chris3312)
I've been accepted at both but can't decide which option is better. Edinb is a 4 year programme which is going to cost me 1/3 more than at Manchester. But the latter has a work placement component worked into their curriculum so I'll get to experience a life of a psychologist 1st hand before I graduate. I'll also be done a year sooner and hopefully progress to a further degree & eventually get regstered with the BPS. The savings of a year in tuition fees would come in handy for grad school!
Anyone know if the course at U of Edinb is more research based with less practical focus than at U of Manch? I can see myself on the field rather than in academia eventually. Which uni should I accept?
So what does Edinburgh do in the 4th year that Manchester doesn't offer? If Manchester has work experience included that's always a better option and of course there is the savings. In terms of what you want to do career wise I'm a bit confused as you say you want to do research but aren't interested in academia so what sorts of careers are you interested in research that don't involve your getting a PhD? Psychology is still an academic subject so there aren't direct career paths that won't involve getting a higher degree in either research or something more practical. The final thing to suggest is looking at the two unis on TSR connect and seeing if you can find people to chat with.
chris3312
Rep:
?
I'm more keen in the practical applications of psychology, as in actually dealing with people's problems and testing, rather than eg working in a university setting as a lecturer or researcher. I am aiming for at least a postgrad degree and DPsych is definitely in the consideration. Thanks for the tips to try TSR Connect. It would be great to find people to talk to who have done psych at either Manchester or Edinburgh. As it is, I don't know if I'll be missing out on the chance to gain more knowledge by going to a 3 year course where a good part of the 3rd & final year is on the field (where there aren't any more classes besides the thesis) so there are essentially 2 learning years only as opposed to 4 at Edinburgh.
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm more keen in the practical applications of psychology, as in actually dealing with people's problems and testing, rather than eg working in a university setting as a lecturer or researcher. I am aiming for at least a postgrad degree and DPsych is definitely in the consideration. Thanks for the tips to try TSR Connect. It would be great to find people to talk to who have done psych at either Manchester or Edinburgh. As it is, I don't know if I'll be missing out on the chance to gain more knowledge by going to a 3 year course where a good part of the 3rd & final year is on the field (where there aren't any more classes besides the thesis) so there are essentially 2 learning years only as opposed to 4 at Edinburgh.
Ah got it now. The thing to do is check what the difference is between the 3&4 year courses in terms of content. Is there more content or does one cover more stuff in less detail or is the same content just spread out over more time?

With the final year as part of a psychology degree you may be working with people but not in a clinical context. The dissertation is meant to give you research skills and not clinical ones. A psychology degree is an academic not a vocational degree. As you say if you want to work in a clinical context you will need to do the appropriate postgrad degree and get accreditation.
chris3312
Rep:
?
Wish someone who has done psych at Manchester could give me their views on how they found their course of study! Think it will be a massive task to read the course description of every compulsory psych course offered by both uni's (if it's actually possible to do so) to compare their content. Interestingly enough, no one is listed for psych in TSR connect for these 2 universities
alleycat393
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wish someone who has done psych at Manchester could give me their views on how they found their course of study! Think it will be a massive task to read the course description of every compulsory psych course offered by both uni's (if it's actually possible to do so) to compare their content. Interestingly enough, no one is listed for psych in TSR connect for these 2 universities
If you're not willing to put in the effort required to do the research around the courses you're interested in to help you choose you may struggle later or end up unsatisfied. And yes with enough time and effort you can go through it all. All I can say is good luck. This is your future and is expensive so think about it carefully and definitely don't rely on others to do your homework for you.
Owain53
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd suggest Edinburgh. Because my brother considered Manchester (ended up going to Warwick in the end), but apparently the Physics teacher at Manchester is more focused on media stuff than he is about the university work, he's a bad teacher apparently. Plus... huge class sizes. That's mainly why he didn't go there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (25)
16.78%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (49)
32.89%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (14)
9.4%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (15)
10.07%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.7%
I think it's an unfair expectation (36)
24.16%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
2.01%

Watched Threads