The Student Room Group

Will I get into trouble?

So I'm on a gap year this year (from September 2016 to September 2017) and so I started working in a tuition centre. When I signed their contract, they said that the contract ends on July 2017. But I don't want to do that because I have some health issues now and I told them that. But they just have me a leave for 3 weeks and told me to come back after my operation and recovery period. I really don't want to go back. I want to rest and just improve my health. I find it really stressful and I don't really enjoy doing it anymore.
I just wanted to ask... Will I get into trouble (as in get something on my DBS) if I don't go back after my leave period because I signed the contract?
Or should I inform them that I can't come -can I even do this because of the contract??
Reply 1
*just gave me
Do you have anything in your contract which states about leaving or a notice period?
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm on a gap year this year (from September 2016 to September 2017) and so I started working in a tuition centre. When I signed their contract, they said that the contract ends on July 2017. But I don't want to do that because I have some health issues now and I told them that. But they just have me a leave for 3 weeks and told me to come back after my operation and recovery period. I really don't want to go back. I want to rest and just improve my health. I find it really stressful and I don't really enjoy doing it anymore.
I just wanted to ask... Will I get into trouble (as in get something on my DBS) if I don't go back after my leave period because I signed the contract?
Or should I inform them that I can't come -can I even do this because of the contract??

Just inform them that you're finding it difficult to cope as a result of the health issues and stuff, maybe talk to your doctor and see what they recommend x
You can talk to them about it, instead of just leaving. You might come to an alternative arrangement or they might just let you leave x :smile:
They can't make you work. You can give them the notice it says in your contract. If it doesn't say in your contract, you should give them 1 week.

If they are difficult and you don't feel well enough to work, ask your doctor to sign you off sick. That way you can get paid to recover.
Reply 5
Original post by cheesecakelove
Do you have anything in your contract which states about leaving or a notice period?

This is the thing. It said if I inform them in the middle of a term, I have to work to the end of the term. That means if I tell them now... I have to still work to the end of July because that's when their term finishes
Reply 6
Original post by abc_123_
Just inform them that you're finding it difficult to cope as a result of the health issues and stuff, maybe talk to your doctor and see what they recommend x
You can talk to them about it, instead of just leaving. You might come to an alternative arrangement or they might just let you leave x :smile:

Thank you for your advice
Reply 7
Original post by Sternumator
They can't make you work. You can give them the notice it says in your contract. If it doesn't say in your contract, you should give them 1 week.

If they are difficult and you don't feel well enough to work, ask your doctor to sign you off sick. That way you can get paid to recover.

Thank you for your advice
This is the thing. It said if I inform them in the middle of a term, I have to work to the end of the term. That means if I tell them now... I have to still work to the end of July because that's when their term finishes

This is pretty normal for teaching things - they're not going to find another teacher which will cause them a lot of problems. No one can force you to go back and no it won't appear on your DBS but you will be expected to account for this year when applying to future jobs and it's likely people will want a reference from this employer. If you don't go back they will tell future employers and it may stop them offering you a job. It's also really unreliable and makes things difficult for your employer, if you're fit to work, you should work and not cause problems for them. If you're not fit to work then get signed off by your doctor for longer.

You are contractually obligated to work until the end of term, but if your health issues pose a big problem to your work, you can quit but you would evidence to show this (like a doctor's note). However, your employer might not look upon this favourably.

Like another poster suggested, talk to your boss about what to do.

Quick Reply

Latest