coconut64
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Name:  sw.png
Views: 698
Size:  30.2 KBThe student adds an excess of aqueous silver nitrate, AgNO3(aq), to the equilibrium mixture.
Predict what would be observed. Explain the observations in terms of both equilibrium 1 and equilibrium 2 and any species formed.

Hi, I know that when silver nitrate is added to 2, a yellow ppt forms (AgI) as the silver ions react with the I- ions. But I don't understand why there will be any reaction in 1. There is no I- ions in 1 but apparently the postion of equilibrium will shift to the left and soild I2 forms. Why??

Thanks
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by coconut64)
Name:  sw.png
Views: 698
Size:  30.2 KBThe student adds an excess of aqueous silver nitrate, AgNO3(aq), to the equilibrium mixture.
Predict what would be observed. Explain the observations in terms of both equilibrium 1 and equilibrium 2 and any species formed.

Hi, I know that when silver nitrate is added to 2, a yellow ppt forms (AgI) as the silver ions react with the I- ions. But I don't understand why there will be any reaction in 1. There is no I- ions in 1 but apparently the postion of equilibrium will shift to the left and soild I2 forms. Why??

Thanks
Read the question. You must explain the observation in terms of both equilibrium 1 and equilibrium 2.

OK, forget equilibrium 1 for a moment.

Addition of silver ions to equilibrium 2 removes iodide ions and pulls the equilibrim to the LHS. This also makes more iodine in solution.

Now refer to equilibrium 1 and you will see the effect of increasing the amount of iodine drives this equilibrium to the LHS making more solid iodine.
coconut64
Rep:
?
(Original post by charco)
Read the question. You must explain the observation in terms of both equilibrium 1 and equilibrium 2.

OK, forget equilibrium 1 for a moment.

Addition of silver ions to equilibrium 2 removes iodide ions and pulls the equilibrim to the LHS. This also makes more iodine in solution.

Now refer to equilibrium 1 and you will see the effect of increasing the amount of iodine drives this equilibrium to the LHS making more solid iodine.
That makes sense thank you. However I wouldn't have thought of that, how do you know that the two equilibriums link to the same experiment? How do you know I2 (aq) from experiment 2 is I2(aq) in equilibrium 1? Is this question saying that you have two different reactions going on at the same time, thus 2 equilibriums?

Thanks
coconut64
Rep:
?
??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.21%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (88)
28.57%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.99%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (40)
12.99%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise