Allocation of final university grade Watch

Animalia123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I just had my exams and they were pretty terrible. They were on 3 consecutive days and I had food poisoning in the last few days leading up to them. So while I did prepare well in advance and they are aware of the fact that I was ill I'm not sure how much they will take it into account. Anyway, enough background.

I'm at Swansea university and they have this thing called the 'Preponderance Principle' which my friend pointed out to me. I was just wondering if anyone has a second if they wouldn't mind reading over it and seeing if they get the same conclusion I do (I've chopped some irrelevant bits out about how first year isn't included). Because my understanding is that because I've got over 120 credits at 60% or above even if my bad exam results mean I get said 59% I should still get awarded a 2:1?

'The University Progression and Awards Board should raise a student’s classification if he/she falls within the ‘window of opportunity’ and satisfies the criteria of 3.3.2 (Preponderance Principle)

3.3.2 Preponderance Principle

Where a student's classification average falls within 2% of a classification boundary, the University Progression and Awards Board shall consider the proportion of marks obtained by the student in each classification band. The University Progression and Awards Board shall consider only those marks which have been used to calculate classification.In order that the student be awarded the higher classification, a student must have achieved marks in the higher classification band in modules attracting a credit weighting equal to half or more of those contributing to the degree classification*.
Borderline Requirement for Higher Classification
I – 2i = 120+ credits at 70%+
2i - 2ii = 120+ credits at 60%+
2ii - 3 = 120+ credits at 50%+
3 - Pass = 120+ credits at 40%
'

Thankyou so much for anyone who reads this and takes the time to answer. You've helped remove a little bit of stress in my life If I am mistaken at least I can start looking at masters courses which are realistic, and if I am correct I am really confident that I will still get a 2:1 and can plan to be starting in Liverpool next year for my Masters!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Animalia123)
So I just had my exams and they were pretty terrible. They were on 3 consecutive days and I had food poisoning in the last few days leading up to them. So while I did prepare well in advance and they are aware of the fact that I was ill I'm not sure how much they will take it into account. Anyway, enough background.

I'm at Swansea university and they have this thing called the 'Preponderance Principle' which my friend pointed out to me. I was just wondering if anyone has a second if they wouldn't mind reading over it and seeing if they get the same conclusion I do (I've chopped some irrelevant bits out about how first year isn't included). Because my understanding is that because I've got over 120 credits at 60% or above even if my bad exam results mean I get said 59% I should still get awarded a 2:1?

'The University Progression and Awards Board should raise a student’s classification if he/she falls within the ‘window of opportunity’ and satisfies the criteria of 3.3.2 (Preponderance Principle)

3.3.2 Preponderance Principle

Where a student's classification average falls within 2% of a classification boundary, the University Progression and Awards Board shall consider the proportion of marks obtained by the student in each classification band. The University Progression and Awards Board shall consider only those marks which have been used to calculate classification.In order that the student be awarded the higher classification, a student must have achieved marks in the higher classification band in modules attracting a credit weighting equal to half or more of those contributing to the degree classification*.
Borderline Requirement for Higher Classification
I – 2i = 120+ credits at 70%+
2i - 2ii = 120+ credits at 60%+
2ii - 3 = 120+ credits at 50%+
3 - Pass = 120+ credits at 40%
'

Thankyou so much for anyone who reads this and takes the time to answer. You've helped remove a little bit of stress in my life If I am mistaken at least I can start looking at masters courses which are realistic, and if I am correct I am really confident that I will still get a 2:1 and can plan to be starting in Liverpool next year for my Masters!
That was my quick reading of it. You get a 2i if half your grades are 60%+ seem very generous to me.
Animalia123
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
That was my quick reading of it. You get a 2i if half your grades are 60%+ seem very generous to me.
Thankyou! Yes it does seem overly generous which is why I was desperate to check- apparently they are scrapping it next year though. Which makes perfect sense to be honest. I'll be disappointed if I don't get a 2:1 through my own hard work but in this case I don't mind getting a 2:1 based on a technicality lol!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you had food poisoning over the exam period you should apply for mitigating circumstances to be considered. They will then consider these, and it may be relevant in whether the decide to apply this preponderance principle in your case.

Speak with your departments admin/student support team, they can advise you specifically how your universities policies apply, but generally you should be able to be considered for mitigating circumstances or equivalent.
Animalia123
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
If you had food poisoning over the exam period you should apply for mitigating circumstances to be considered. They will then consider these, and it may be relevant in whether the decide to apply this preponderance principle in your case.

Speak with your departments admin/student support team, they can advise you specifically how your universities policies apply, but generally you should be able to be considered for mitigating circumstances or equivalent.
The university were aware but the only option was to postpone my exams until 2018. Wouldn't have been required to pay any extra fees or anything but I don't think I'd be in a great mental state effectively feeling like I was putting my life on hold. Unfortunately despite the universities lenient preponderance principe they don't allow for lenient marking. The option is either take your chances or postpone you exams
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (134)
48.03%
No (37)
13.26%
I'm not old enough (108)
38.71%

Watched Threads