sophielulu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,I'm looking to apply for student accommodation for my second year of studies resulting from bad family circumstances. However, the one issue is I do not own a direct debit and understand this is required to pay the rent. Is there a way of getting around this as to apply for a DD would take me past the deadline as I would have to apply for a form of id to get the bank account.Thank you!
Hayyz91
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can apply now and also apply for a card you can dd too. Surely you will get it before you need to pay rent.
Isinglass
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A Direct Debit is not a 'thing' that you own - it's.the mandate the provider of the service will ask you to sign in order for them to take your rent from your bank account at the times they tell you that they are going to. If you have previously had a contract with a company and a DD has already been set up, then the company may be able to continue to take money under the same mandate, otherwise a new one is set up.

Are you sure 'direct debit' is actually what you mean?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sophielulu)
Hi all,I'm looking to apply for student accommodation for my second year of studies resulting from bad family circumstances. However, the one issue is I do not own a direct debit and understand this is required to pay the rent. Is there a way of getting around this as to apply for a DD would take me past the deadline as I would have to apply for a form of id to get the bank account.Thank you!
Yes you need to open a bank account first, if you don't already have one. A direct debit is just a method of payment from your bank account. Any bank account can have direct debits set up.

Can I ask what you currently do for money if you don't already have an account? How do you pay for food and living costs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.77%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
13.21%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
15.09%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (6)
11.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (21)
39.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (9)
16.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed