Looking to get my first tattoo? Watch

bhfn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
hey!

I'm looking to get my first tattoo, very interested in getting a small one.

I was just wondering how does the pricing work, does it depend on the design? the size?

does getting a tattoo hurt? I'm thinking of getting one at the bottom of my leg / above my ankle area or even on my inner arm / above wrist area ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
seawaif
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey - I don't have any tattoos but know people who do!

It can depend on the tattoo studio you choose. Some places charge work by hour, so if it's small it could cost £30-£60. The studio might have a minimum cost of like £50 etc however. Also, I'd imagine custom tattoos will be slightly more expensive. Or if the design was very complex and colourful.

(I should add that if you want a beautiful tattoo do NOT go to the cheapest studio you can find. It's permanent, after all. Have a look for really talented artists with good portfolios online).

As for the pain, my friend has a wrist tattoo and she didn't think it hurt much, just uncomfortable. Of course, understand every tattoo has different factors involved. Your artists might have a different technique, some tattoos and locations require different lengths of time, and then there's your personal pain threshold. It definitely shouldn't be more than you can handle. It won't feel pleasant - it's needles pushing into your skin - but you'll be able to deal with it!

Just have a good hard look online and when you're out and about. See if you can have a chat with an artist. Good luck
bhfn
Rep:
?
(Original post by seawaif)
Hey - I don't have any tattoos but know people who do!

It can depend on the tattoo studio you choose. Some places charge work by hour, so if it's small it could cost £30-£60. The studio might have a minimum cost of like £50 etc however. Also, I'd imagine custom tattoos will be slightly more expensive. Or if the design was very complex and colourful.

(I should add that if you want a beautiful tattoo do NOT go to the cheapest studio you can find. It's permanent, after all. Have a look for really talented artists with good portfolios online).

As for the pain, my friend has a wrist tattoo and she didn't think it hurt much, just uncomfortable. Of course, understand every tattoo has different factors involved. Your artists might have a different technique, some tattoos and locations require different lengths of time, and then there's your personal pain threshold. It definitely shouldn't be more than you can handle. It won't feel pleasant - it's needles pushing into your skin - but you'll be able to deal with it!

Just have a good hard look online and when you're out and about. See if you can have a chat with an artist. Good luck
I appreciate the reply!

I'm looking online in the location I'll be moving too when I start uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Report 2 years ago
What are you thinking of having done, and where do you plan on having it?

Edit: Should've read that last part before starting my post, still, what did you have in mind for the design?
bhfn
Rep:
?
(Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
What are you thinking of having done, and where do you plan on having it?

Edit: Should've read that last part before starting my post, still, what did you have in mind for the design?
In terms of designs, it would be something very small, maybe outlined love heart/arrows/a specific date along them lines not sure exactly what yet, just looking on Pinterest at the moment.

Just to emphasise it would be a very small one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bhfn)
In terms of designs, it would be something very small, maybe outlined love heart/arrows/a specific date along them lines not sure exactly what yet, just looking on Pinterest at the moment.

Just to emphasise it would be a very small one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would advise that before getting a tattoo you ask yourself if you'll still think it's cool in say 10 years?

I know several people who got tattoos when they were younger and thought what they were having done was the coolest thing to ever exist, just to grow to hate it a few years later.
bhfn
Rep:
?
(Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
I would advise that before getting a tattoo you ask yourself if you'll still think it's cool in say 10 years?

I know several people who got tattoos when they were younger and thought what they were having done was the coolest thing to ever exist, just to grow to hate it a few years later.
It would be something with deep meaning that I don't believe I would ever hate due to the reasonings and what it would represent for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Persipan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My advice (and I say this as someone who used to work in a tattoo studio, though not as an artist) would be:

• Don't go for anything too small. Over time, tattoos will become slightly less crisp and sharp; in a sensible-sized design that's fine, but if it's minute then it basically won't look good in the long term. Small is fine but tiny is probably not worth it.
  • Check out the work of artists you're thinking of using, and see what you like the look of.
  • Expect good artists to be booked up some time in advance.
  • Take the opportunity to work with the artist to get something that you really love.
  • Consider experimenting with temporary options to check you like the size, placement etc. You can order custom temporary tattoos online; or even just draw them on with a pen!
  • Getting a tattoo isn't painless, but it's completely bearable. Think like a sharp, hot scratching feeling. Some locations are a bit worse than others, but the tattoo is going to be there permanently so that should be your priority; not the temporary discomfort of getting it done.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (114)
17.73%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.53%
Not great so far... (229)
35.61%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.13%

Watched Threads