The Student Room Group

Is this true

According to some people, S2 is easier than S1 for Edexcel, and also easier than M1. I'm currently dong S1 - have my exam next week - and I absolutely hate it. I am considering self-teaching M1 next year since my school does S2 but I am interested in what other people think, those who have studied both S2 and M1. For those who have done S2 and S1, is S2 REALLY easier than S1?
If so, easer in what respects?
Thank you in advance.
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
According to some people, S2 is easier than S1 for Edexcel, and also easier than M1. I'm currently dong S1 - have my exam next week - and I absolutely hate it. I am considering self-teaching M1 next year since my school does S2 but I am interested in what other people think, those who have studied both S2 and M1. For those who have done S2 and S1, is S2 REALLY easier than S1?
If so, easer in what respects?
Thank you in advance.

I think it's completely subjective.
Most of S1 is an extension of GCSE maths and I've personally never understood why anyone thinks it's hard. There's not a lot of content in S2 and it's not particularly difficult. Although it's all new if you understood random variables and normal distribution for S1 it won't be hard. M1 is in my opinion the toughest of the AS applications units, not so much because of the content but often due to the trickiness of exam questions done in algebra. If you have done physics AS it won't be too hard, if you haven't then I'd think twice. Try using the examsolutions web site to self study over the summer and see how you get on with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
I think it's completely subjective.
Most of S1 is an extension of GCSE maths and I've personally never understood why anyone thinks it's hard. There's not a lot of content in S2 and it's not particularly difficult. Although it's all new if you understood random variables and normal distribution for S1 it won't be hard. M1 is in my opinion the toughest of the AS applications units, not so much because of the content but often due to the trickiness of exam questions done in algebra. If you have done physics AS it won't be too hard, if you haven't then I'd think twice. Try using the examsolutions web site to self study over the summer and see how you get on with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your comment. I do indeed do AS physics and I plan to continue physics on to year thirteen, however, the area I struggle most in in physics is mechanics. I was thinking that if I did M1 not only would I avoid S2 but it would greatly help with my physics...
I will probably just do what you suggested and see how it goes!
I’m doing S1 and S2 and I, along with most people in my class, really do think S2 is a lot easier than S1. S1 is just really wordy and sneaky, but S2 is so straight forward you just learn the formulas and that’s it. People who have done S1, M1 and S2 in my school think that M1 is the hardest out of them and, not that S1 is ‘difficult’ but just a bit weird, whilst S2 makes a lot more sense. I don’t really know how to explain it lol but I average 90 UMS in S1 and near 100 in S2 and this could all be subjective.

Quick Reply