gcse edexcel How am i meant to EXPLAIN the importance of an event and not just state?

Watch
anonomon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
In my GCSE Edexcel History Cold War Exam, Q5 is to choose 3 out of 4 events and explain their importance.
Each explined event is worth 5 marks.
Everytime i do this my teacher marks it and gives me 3 out of 5 marks for each event and says i only state the importance...
But i dont really know how to make sure that i EXPLAIN the importance and not just state.

An example Question:
"Explain the importance of 3 of the following:
- The Truman Doctrine
- The Berlin Airlift
- NATO
- The Hungarian Uprising (15 marks - 5 for each event)

So how would i explain the importance instead of just state it....????
s_tuden_t
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You have to post the full question otherwise I can't answer it but you would have to say:

The truman doctrine is important in ______ (whatever the question is asking you) because ____ then put in key facts and explain again why linking back to the question. Then add in more specific detail and explain linking back to the question at all time hope it helps but I can't do much because you haven't given the full question.
anonomon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by s_tuden_t)
You have to post the full question otherwise I can't answer it but you would have to say:

The truman doctrine is important in ______ (whatever the question is asking you) because ____ then put in key facts and explain again why linking back to the question. Then add in more specific detail and explain linking back to the question at all time hope it helps but I can't do much because you haven't given the full question.
Ok thank you, one of my questions is:
Explain the importance of Soviet Expansion in international relations. (5 marks)
s_tuden_t
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anonomon)
Ok thank you, one of my questions is:
Explain the importance of Soviet Expansion in international relations. (5 marks)
Soviet expansion was a factor in worsening relations between the superpowers because the USA feared that the USSR were expanding their sphere of influence and communism would take over Europe which the USA thought was evil and bad. Khrushchev expanded the Soviet Union by making Cuba an ally as it was a communist country just 90 miles off the border of the USA which posed a threat to them. This increased tensions as Khrushchev threatened to place missiles in Cuba which could attack the USA. This worsened relations as the two superpowers posed massive threats to each other as both owned nuclear weapons, and by the USSR increasing their sphere of influence it meant that other countries could also become communist making communism seem more powerful and better than capitalism which the USA were fighting against.

I think this may gain 5 marks because you can see here I am explaining EACH evidence and point I'm making good luck x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (86)
31.62%
Less motivated (186)
68.38%

Watched Threads