Uncodified vs Codified Constitution (AS level , AQA) Watch

Abby Thomas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
If an essay question sounds something like 'Do you agree that the UK should adopt a codified Constitution?' then should it be a balanced argument between the advantages/disadvantages of an uncodified Constitution and the advantages/disadvantages of a codified constitution. I worry that it might be irrelevant to talk too much about a codified constitution since we only study British politics at AS level.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks
greghayes
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Abby Thomas)
If an essay question sounds something like 'Do you agree that the UK should adopt a codified Constitution?' then should it be a balanced argument between the advantages/disadvantages of an uncodified Constitution and the advantages/disadvantages of a codified constitution. I worry that it might be irrelevant to talk too much about a codified constitution since we only study British politics at AS level.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks
My teacher says that, unless you have a very strong argument against it, you should aim to agree with the question (although to what extent depends on you). For this question, I would make many 2-3 paragraphs explaining the benefits of the UK adopting a codified constitution and then a paragraph at the end saying a benefit it keeping it as it is. You could counter-argue your points at the end of each paragraph though. My structure for that question would be something like:

1. entrenched rights (e.g. US Bill of Rights vs potential repeal of the HRA)
2. supreme law (often difficult to amend and holds higher power than statute)
3. the UK has many sources which can lead to contradictions and confusion (e.g. Brexit happened because the country didn't like the EU being a constitutional source)
BUT
4. US is very hard to amend (2/3 of both houses of Congress plus 3/4 of states BUT it doesn't have to be rigid just because it's codified)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads