username3311262
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Okay, basically I've just gone and done 8 of my GCSE exams with a frixion pen, for anyone who doesn't know what these are, they're pens which you can rub out. Convinient right? Well I've just found out that when exposed to heat (e.g. being left in a hot car) the ink from them COMPLETELY disappears. Now as far as I'm aware exams are transported to the exam board in vans, and it's the middle of summer, meaning that I'm basically sh**ing myself at what's gonna happen to my work.

I'm also aware (now) that the rules state don't use erasable pens. But our school and invigilators failed to mention this to us and just told us that "any black ink or black ball point pen is fine" (it also states this on the exam paper) and these pens are just ball point pens. So I was under the impression that it would be okay.

Has anyone ever had trouble with these pens? Has anyone ever completed their exams and got their grades back with these pens? I just need some peace of mind / advice on what to do :/.
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Samuelslade)
Okay, basically I've just gone and done 8 of my GCSE exams with a frixion pen, for anyone who doesn't know what these are, they're pens which you can rub out. Convinient right? Well I've just found out that when exposed to heat (e.g. being left in a hot car) the ink from them COMPLETELY disappears. Now as far as I'm aware exams are transported to the exam board in vans, and it's the middle of summer, meaning that I'm basically sh**ing myself at what's gonna happen to my work.

I'm also aware (now) that the rules state don't use erasable pens. But our school and invigilators failed to mention this to us and just told us that "any black ink or black ball point pen is fine" (it also states this on the exam paper) and these pens are just ball point pens. So I was under the impression that it would be okay.

Has anyone ever had trouble with these pens? Has anyone ever completed their exams and got their grades back with these pens? I just need some peace of mind / advice on what to do :/.
Oh god, eraseable pens are not allowed because the ink doesn't scan properly.

I am sorry. Most people know that erasable pens are not allowed so I doubt you are going to find many people on this forum who used them.

Additionally I don't think it is the invigilator's resposibility to tell you that they are not allowed so don't put the blame on them.
rickH123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
problem with being fancy. Just buy 10 bic black pens for like a pound from tesco. Not hard.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Really bad idea - as the papers rub together, part of your answers could be erased rendering the script useless.

What in earth possessed you to use erasable pens in an examination?!
username3071756
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I think you messed up this time. If it's not heat that causes them to be erased , it could also be the scan . Even if not all is erased , half of it would be unreadable .
rickH123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
anyway don't worry about it now. what's done is done. You might even actually get grades from the readable scripts. Try to do well in ur rest.
Sam_C_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It should be ok, the papers are stored in bundles inside bags inside boxes which may be in a bigger locked box inside a van. I very much doubt and especially with British weather that the ink would be erased during transit. The ink didn't erase when you were writing it so why would it erase then. You can speak to your exams officer if you are worried. I wouldn't be though, the scanning machines are basically glorified scanners like the ones in your school. It should pick it up decently. If the examiners do not see anything written, it would probably have to be moderated and looked at the physical copy. If worst comes to worst, they may have to analyse the indentations on the paper. If not, it's only 8 exams out of like 24 right? Hopefully it shouldn't affect you that much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.3%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.95%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.54%
I'm really nervous (58)
20.21%

Watched Threads