Vietnam war dissertation question

Watch this thread
maria.puz
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have a broad idea regarding my dissertation which explores the autobiographical literature context about the experiences of authors during the Vietnam war. I'm struggling to narrow it down to a question. Any help? Thanks
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by maria.puz)
I have a broad idea regarding my dissertation which explores the autobiographical literature context about the experiences of authors during the Vietnam war. I'm struggling to narrow it down to a question. Any help? Thanks
Surely you know the books you are going to cover, so you are just looking for an angle or connecting theme which you can focus on. If you read the books then they must raise or enable you to explore themes or experience.
The Empire Odyssey
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Surely you know the books you are going to cover, so you are just looking for an angle or connecting theme which you can focus on. If you read the books then they must raise or enable you to explore themes or experience.
Not necessarily.

I created my dissertation title/question first, then created my chapters and then I researched the books that fit into the chapters.

There's no one way to research a dissertation.
The Empire Odyssey
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by maria.puz)
What things are you interesting in writing about?

Will your dissertation be an exploratory or question-led or will it be a comparative approach?

Your topic or the way you've described it doesn't really make sense. What context are you referring to? Are you referring to the historical and social context surrounding the Vietnam War, or are you referring to the context surrounding the autobiographical genre?

If it's genre, you need to research autobiography as a narrative piece of communicative information. Perhaps narrative theory, and if you want to relate author's experience, then you could look at literary theory in terms of psychoanalysis.

If you want themes, just break them down per chapter. Maybe fear, rejection, masculinity, PTSD, etc.

Are you looking at author-to-reader relationship (I forget the literary term) and how author conveys meaning within their experiences to the author? Are you questioning the overall meaning of autobiography when it comes to war stories?

You need to narrow down what you want to focus on; genre, reader, theme, historical context and so forth.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
Not necessarily.

I created my dissertation title/question first, then created my chapters and then I researched the books that fit into the chapters.

There's no one way to research a dissertation.
Disagree and the healthier method is to scout around the area just to make sure the potential you think it has exists. It also puts them in a better position to fine tune the angle they wish to approach the topic and will give them new ideas as well.

If theres no way to research a dissertation then what do people spend the first 50% of their time doing?

Bonkers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
27.78%
As I expected (73)
31.2%
Harder (88)
37.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.42%

Watched Threads