Corbyn and May tonight on SKY Watch

username1738683
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
And Channel 4 too for Labour supporters at 8.30, Paxo is in charge but they will be grilled separately. There seems to be a bit more interest on May's survival skills on this one among the political anoraks, for some reason. Who will win it?

Jeremy Corbyn and Theresa May will today face their first grilling by a live TV studio audience this election campaign - with the Labour leader opting to go first.
http://news.sky.com/story/may-and-co...er-10-10896898
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zhog)
And Channel 4 too for Labour supporters at 8.30, Paxo is in charge but they will be grilled separately. There seems to be a bit more interest on May's survival skills on this one among the political anoraks, for some reason. Who will win it?

http://news.sky.com/story/may-and-co...er-10-10896898
I'm finding it tricky to call so far
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Corbyn smashed it. He gave solid responses, whether you agree with him or not you know exactly what he wants! Most importantly he doesn't dodge the question. Theresa is giving a blurred image of what she stands for, And shes dodging the questions again!!!!!

I seriously Can't believe I was going to solidly vote Conservative… I'm actually gonna need to think it through really deep. Theresa is a let down, even against Corbyn but he might just be the best of the worst. I expect him to climb sharply in the polls after this, Theresa is gonna regret it, not just the show but calling the election. I've leaning towards Corbyn, after tonight I'm feeling confident about it
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
is it a University Challenge format ?

JP: "here is your starter for 10:

please listen to this wartime speech... you just have to say who is speaking:

"The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength..."

bzzzzt

*Labour Corbyn*

Is it Oswald Mosley ?

JP: "Wrong... i can pass it over to the other team*

bzzzzt

*Conservatives May*

Is it Sir Winston Churchill our wartime saviour ?

JP: "Exactly, now here are your bonuses...."
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Corbyn performed incredibly well and Paxman .. I mean... that's genuinely one of the worst interviews I've ever seen from him. He came off like a child throwing a tantrum, genuinely.

Theresa did 'okay' on the Q&A - first half was definitely better so now we wait for the grilling

Will not be happy if Paxman lets his conservative bias come through.
NotNotBatman
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Corbyn has performed very well.
MildredMalone
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Corbyn has learned the politicians' art of rattling off platitudes instead of answering questions.
username1738683
Rep:
?
If anyone learned something new that will be because they didn't know them well enough before, nothing original about either the questions or answers, there was no advancement to anything. The expectation was all about their handling of the audience and Paxo, neither crumbled and I'd call it a draw.

So what about Paxo? Hasn't mellowed a bit, has he?
Betelgeuse-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Corbyn > May on that performance

Time to recall Admiral Farage to save us
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Watch this, then decide.

username1738683
Rep:
?
There is one thing we can only wonder about, how did Paxo prioritise his questions? In May's case, it was useful to have Brexit as the final topic because that was her most comfortable area and had she been made to conclude on the more controversial social care front that would have been the final impression. In Jezza's case, he landed on the social side instead of his sympathy for the IRA and that didn't do any harm either.

It does make a difference, how you prioritise the questions. How to rank and place them is always susceptible to shape the overall impression somehow and inevitably, surely there is a pile of research into that area in the US political circus and their televised debates. Not suggesting anything about Paxo, bless him...
YuroStar
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For anyone of voting age on the student room be sure to use your vote and use it wisely!
It's worth mentioning that ONLY LABOUR are taking into consideration our future and our education.
Labour will reintroduce maintenance grants (as opposed to maintenance loans under the Tory government) for university students, and they will abolish university tuition fees.

On the other hand, the Conservatives want to maintain the tuition fees at £9000+ per year per student. It's worth noting that the average student now graduates from university, and starts their working life, with debts of £44,000. Would you want to be in that situation? Owing £40,000+ before you've even started earning £40,000 per annum, just so that you can get a degree or other qualification in the field that you want to pursue?
USE YOUR VOTE WISELY!
username1738683
Rep:
?
(Original post by zayn008)
Corbyn smashed it. He gave solid responses, whether you agree with him or not you know exactly what he wants! Most importantly he doesn't dodge the question. Theresa is giving a blurred image of what she stands for, And shes dodging the questions again!!!!!
Just to make sure we were watching the same thing, any chance of a practical example of Jezza's solid answers and May's dodginess?
username1738683
Rep:
?
Politicians do face a serious problem in these public airings, too many questions are just of the unanswerable type and they have to say something regardless. Nobody can say how much we are prepared to pay 'to leave the EU', to work out liabilities and a settlement is what the next government will have to negotiate, does Paxo really expect a prospective PM to put a cap on it? He asked them both.

We would pay 50 but not 60 billion quid, that is the type of answer he is pushing for perhaps because he is looking precisely for the type of question they cannot answer to make them dance. What would you say, that all you can do is work for the best deal for Britain to the risk of being accused of dodging the 'question'?

What politicians don't seem to realise is that it would be easier to just bat it back on those grounds, you've just asked me an unanswerable question and do you have any more.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zhog)
Just to make sure we were watching the same thing, any chance of a practical example of Jezza's solid answers and May's dodginess?
Jezza was solid against that guy who asked about cooperation tax.

Mays dodginess? Where do I begin, when she spoke about pupil funding, she dodged it, she couldn't guarantee anything and just kept taking cheap jabs which the public are sick of and have come to expect. She just skimmed questions, painted no vision, had no comebacks, showed no appetite for change which this country is desperate for and had no enthusiasm/desire to win. She was bland, she stood for nothing, people were laughing at her because she doesn't even know what she stands for, it's a bigger disaster than John Major.

Have you seen her relaunch? It's been a disaster.

Also this is coming from someone who supported Theresa in 2016 and thought she would get a solid landslide. I had huge respect for her, I go to school in her constituency and have met her several times, I did work experience with her during the weak she ran for leadership which I helped with, so I strongly believed in her, I've lost my optimism for her against a person I strongly hated (Jeremy), I've definitely come to like the Labour Party again but I'm still sceptical over the leadership/shadow ministers.

Had she been standing against a moderate labour leader she wouldn't stand a chance and would be getting ANNIHILATED! I think even Gordon Brown & Ed would've obliterated her.
username1738683
Rep:
?
(Original post by zayn008)
Jezza was solid against that guy who asked about cooperation tax.
Is that it? Solid about what, it is no secret Labour will raise corporation tax and all Corbyn said to the businessman who doesn't find it a good idea was that he just will have to get used to it because his money is needed to fund Labour's social agenda. I'm not knocking him for it, it is this constant mention of how 'well' he answers questions that I dispute. I don't think it is a good idea to make it more expensive to do business in the UK with Brexit looming, anyway. We all see and hear what we want, that must be it.

Mays dodginess?
I can't be bothered with defending anything about her, point conceded.

Have you seen her relaunch? It's been a disaster.
I haven't but I believe you, what I saw on 4News was Jezza on Woman's Hour this morning.

Jeremy Corbyn stumbled over the cost of his party's plan to offer free childcare to two-year-olds during an interview for BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour.

"It will cost... it will obviously cost a lot to do so we accept that," he said, when quizzed by Emma Barnett about plans to give free childcare to 1.3m youngsters.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/electio...n-woman-s-hour

Not sure there is much between them when it comes to business.
LetMeLive
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ewwww i expect that on Babestation or studio 66
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zhog)
Is that it? Solid about what, it is no secret Labour will raise corporation tax and all Corbyn said to the businessman who doesn't find it a good idea was that he just will have to get used to it because his money is needed to fund Labour's social agenda. I'm not knocking him for it, it is this constant mention of how 'well' he answers questions that I dispute. I don't think it is a good idea to make it more expensive to do business in the UK with Brexit looming, anyway. We all see and hear what we want, that must be it.

I can't be bothered with defending anything about her, point conceded.

I haven't but I believe you, what I saw on 4News was Jezza on Woman's Hour this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/electio...n-woman-s-hour

Not sure there is much between them when it comes to business.
He proposes raising cooperation tax below previous levels, in line with most European countries and Canada. It's nothing extreme, we've just been under an extremely conservative government. I agree with your point about brexit though, I personally would've cut it by 1% as a further incentive then after brexit slowly increased it to previous levels of 24-28%. Everyone comaplains about the deficit, the only way you can eliminate it and have a better future is if you raise taxes to fair levels, some of his tax programs I hate, im not pro Corbyn when it comes to labour politics, I'm still sceptical when it comes to the GE too. But look, at this rate the future is looking dark for the next generation, we're not investing in a changing world, we're letting it change without taking action and we will suffer the consequences.

People might complain about the last labour government but it did an amazing job at keeping us ahead of future changes in terms of technology and globalisation.

Corbyn messed up on that big time, but will relieving such numbers make a difference? It's poor presentation but he has done the calculations. He should've just said "I have a number in mind which I'm pretty sure is correct but I need to confirm it so I don't mislead people". It's not a giant hiccup, it's being overplayed. Again this is coming from someone who probably as early as last week would be shouting about how incompetent Corbyn is, my views are split and I guess it makes sense as I'm a centrist so I like a mix of conservative and social democratic policies and we have 2 extremes in this election.

It's a tough election and I'm struggling to take sides but I've recently developed a liking to Corbyns policies but I hate his politics, a few weeks I had zero liking to anything about him. I've always been fond of what he's tried to achieve with his policies but I'm critical of the ways he's gone about them since it can be seen as inflationary, anti-business and inefficient in many respects. E.g railways nationalisation, I'm not a fan of nationalisation but I would like to see state-private ownership, I'd like to see corporation tax go up but it's too soon, I'm not a fan of international intervention such as in Syria we need to disarm rebels that being said I'd like someone ready to call a war when necessary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (107)
17.34%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (65)
10.53%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (108)
17.5%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.91%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (62)
10.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (183)
29.66%

Watched Threads