The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Medicine A100 2018 Entry Hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by medicine108
Hi, I am a Scottish student. Would you able to also tell me my chances of getting into Edinburgh? National 5- 6 A's (bio, chem, physics, maths, English, business)Highers- 5 A's (bio, chem, English, maths, physics) Advanced highers- predicted A's in bio, chem, maths I know that for Scottish results aren't look at in terms of but I got 5 A1's in nat 5 and 4 in higher. UKCAT- 2580 which puts me in 5th decile What do you think?

2580 has been in Edinburgh's 5th octile in 2015 and 2016 entry, which would lose you 4 marks. I think you make full academic marks. You do not mention your SJT band? A Home/EU applicant has typically needed to score around 35/36 for an offer, so assuming Band 1 on SJT, you would need full marks, or to drop only 1 mark on your PS (they advise only 10% of applicants should receive full marks)
Original post by GANFYD
2580 has been in Edinburgh's 5th octile in 2015 and 2016 entry, which would lose you 4 marks. I think you make full academic marks. You do not mention your SJT band? A Home/EU applicant has typically needed to score around 35/36 for an offer, so assuming Band 1 on SJT, you would need full marks, or to drop only 1 mark on your PS (they advise only 10% of applicants should receive full marks)

Hi, thank you for your reply. I luckily got a band 1 in SJT so I still have a slim chance.
Original post by GANFYD
I would imagine Edinburgh will ask for the proof they require, rather than you deciding what you are prepared to give, otherwise applicants could make up 80% of their PS and only offer confirmation of a small proportion. However, I do not know this to be the case, but cannot believe they will not stipulate for themselves what evidence they require (if any)

it seems you only need t provide one reference from one of your activities which i have so seems fine
Hi I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me what my chances are like for Edinburgh:

GCSE: 9 A* 3A
AS Levels: AAAB
A level predictions: A*A*A (bio, maths, chem)
UKCAT: 745 average with Band 1 SJT

I have put sports and music as well as relevant work experience on my personal statement.
Thanks in advance!
goddamnit i have a band 3. seems like nothing can make up for it. they put a **** lot of weight on SJT. lol, just realised they weigh SJT section 3 times any other section in UKCAT. this is nuts. SJT basically makes or breaks you

Spoiler

Reply 66
Original post by GANFYD
Edinburgh haven't realeased this year's selector's handbook yet, but assuming they use the same criteria to score A levels now that they have dropped the 4th AS requirement as they have previously for those who did not have a 4th AS, you would score 18/20 for academics. Your UKCAT sat in the 4th octile in 2016 and 2015, so you would possibly score 5 points here, 6 for SJT means 29/34 with another 6 available for PS, meaning a maximum available of 35/40. If you are a RUK applicant, this would make Edinburgh very risky for you, as typically RUK applicants have needed at least 37 to obtain a place.
However, as I say, it has not yet been released how they will score A levels this year, I am just guessing they will use the same system as previously (A*A*A for 5 marks, A*AA for 4 marks, AAA for 3 marks x2 assessors)

Thank you. I feel I have played my other choices quite safe so I took the risk and applied to Edinburgh :smile: I was in the 6th decile for this year and was predicted A*AA. All I can do now is wait and hope:colondollar: Thanks again!
Hi everyone!
I'm an Edinburgh Medical school hopefull for 2018 entry.
My application is:
-9A* , 1A GCSE and a B in an advanced FSMQ
-4A* predicted A level in Chamistry, biology, maths and philosophy
-UKCAT total 2890 (top ten percent this year) but SJT only band 2 (thinking this pm destroys my chances?)
-pretty good personal staement i think (i hope anyway!!)
-I live in the UK but i am EU fee rate as i lived in spain for 5 years

If anyone can help me with working out my chances and if anyone knows how my fee rate will affect my application pls let me know (i applied a couple of weeks ago and I am a nervous wreck!! :smile: My other choices were Oxford, St Andrews and Manchester. Thank you!!!
Original post by screamer18
Hi everyone!
I'm an Edinburgh Medical school hopefull for 2018 entry.
My application is:
-9A* , 1A GCSE and a B in an advanced FSMQ
-4A* predicted A level in Chamistry, biology, maths and philosophy
-UKCAT total 2890 (top ten percent this year) but SJT only band 2 (thinking this pm destroys my chances?)
-pretty good personal staement i think (i hope anyway!!)
-I live in the UK but i am EU fee rate as i lived in spain for 5 years

If anyone can help me with working out my chances and if anyone knows how my fee rate will affect my application pls let me know (i applied a couple of weeks ago and I am a nervous wreck!! :smile: My other choices were Oxford, St Andrews and Manchester. Thank you!!!

Last year, the offer rate for Scottish/EU applicants was 14% (it was 27% for rUK and 10% for International applicants)
Original post by Capricancer
Last year, the offer rate for Scottish/EU applicants was 14% (it was 27% for rUK and 10% for International applicants)

Wow, 27% for rUK is abnormally high, it'll probably decrease again this year
Reply 70
Has anyone here applied to Edinburgh but not got an acknowledgement email? Did a bit of TSR stalking and seems that most people got one the day they applied...I submitted mine at 1am yesterday and still haven't heard anything.
Original post by jazz_xox_
Sorry if there is already a thread for this, if so link me to it please!:smile:

Thought I'd make a thread for everyone planning to apply to Edinburgh University this October, I've just seen that they've removed the requirement for a 4th subject at A-Level to study medicine, and I'm so excited as this now means I am eligible to apply :smile:
They also have study abroad plans which are exciting as not many unis do these for medicine anymore!
What grades are you aiming for/working at?
Have you done work experience, if so what?
What other universities are you looking at?
Do you have any plans for accommodation (e.g. catered, self-catered, flat, uni acc)?

Where would the year abroad take place?I looked at their website but it said a European country which is very vague.
Reply 72
Original post by Anonymous1502
Where would the year abroad take place?I looked at their website but it said a European country which is very vague.

I am really not sure sorry, I am presuming it may vary from year to year. This is rare for a medicine course though! Have you applied there for 2018 entry? :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by msewell12
Has anyone here applied to Edinburgh but not got an acknowledgement email? Did a bit of TSR stalking and seems that most people got one the day they applied...I submitted mine at 1am yesterday and still haven't heard anything.

Wait till Monday, they may not send them over the weekend.
Reply 74

Thank you-you were right, I got one this morning!
Hi,

I have applied for Edinburgh this year, really hoping I get in!! - do you when they start giving offers? I know for medicine it is usually right up to the deadline next year, but as there is no interview do you think it will be any sooner?
Original post by 82Lala82
Hi,

I have applied for Edinburgh this year, really hoping I get in!! - do you when they start giving offers? I know for medicine it is usually right up to the deadline next year, but as there is no interview do you think it will be any sooner?

I don’t think so, I looked at the threads from previous years and offers/rejections are usually given out in March, even without interview

I am in year 12 but I am considering edinburgh.
Original post by khookie
I don’t think so, I looked at the threads from previous years and offers/rejections are usually given out in March, even without interview

Ah ok! Thank-you :smile:
Hey guys,

Im a 4th year biology undergraduate, predicted a first but a horrendous UKCAT (especially for edinburgh) of 625 band 1 - wondering if there are any other graduates here and what the deal is with interviews? I am pretty unhopeful but it'd be good to expect some emails good or bad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending