The Student Room Group

Is there a correlation between an large Islamic population and Terrorism?

France has arguably the largest Muslim population in Europe, and suffer acts of terror regularly, whereas countries like Poland, Japan and Czech Republic which have little or no form of Islamic immigration do not seem to suffer from terrorism.

We keep hearing that terrorism has no religion but we all know that's a lie.

Scroll to see replies

Yes, there is definitely an undeniable correlation between large Islamic populations and terrorism. Over the last week alone, you're looking at 1 terrorist attack in a nation with a small Muslim population (Generally around 5% Muslims) for every ~2.5 terrorist attacks in nations with large Muslim populations (Generally around 90% Muslims). In the last week there have been 25 terrorist attacks, 7 were committed in countries with small Muslim populations, 18 were committed in countries of Muslim Majorities.

I'd go through the entire month, or even the entire year if I had the time to do it, but this month alone has seen over 140 terrorist attacks.

Whether correlation is causation or not in this scenario is up for debate (not a debate I want a part of, it only ends up messy), but there's absolutely no denying that the correlation is there.
(edited 6 years ago)
(edited 6 years ago)
Lol now that you say it, its kinda true yeh.
Never terrorist attack in countries with no muslims :/
No because as soon as a Muslim does something bad they stop being anything to do with Islam duh!
Original post by LetMeLive

We keep hearing that terrorism has no religion...

Who is saying that?
Reply 6
Of course. The vast majority of terrorists are Muslim.
Original post by TheMcSame
Yes, there is definitely an undeniable correlation between large Islamic populations and terrorism.

Correlation does not imply causation. Perhaps a rich fish diet including the consumption of whale meat reduces terrorism in Japan?

By contrast, Saudi Arabia is near 100% Muslim and doesn't see terririst attacks. Or UAE for that matter.
Original post by Det.Hartigan
Who is saying that?

Teachers, media, government.
A bloke the other day though the manchester bombing had something to do with Islam and got thrown in jail.
Reply 9
Original post by Somepersonhere
Lol now that you say it, its kinda true yeh.

I mean NI and the UK is sufficient enough to disprove your claim.
It is true, terrorism has no religion.

Like someone else said, Saudi is nearly 100% Muslim but has few terrorist attacks.
And countries like UAE, Qatar, Bahrain. Muslims have nothing to do with it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rael1
Of course. The vast majority of terrorists are Muslim.

Define terrorist. If it is someone in instills fear or terror in a population I would count most Western armies in active deployment around the world, including our own.

Either way, you made a sweeping statement.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
No because as soon as a Muslim does something bad they stop being anything to do with Islam duh!

I'll never understand this sort of comment - you know you're mocking Muslims for refusing to associate with terrorists, right? Or would you rather that they not reject the terrorists?
If you're going to note a correlation between the Muslim population of a country and the number of terrorist attacks, please take into consideration who, in Muslim majority countries, the goddamn victims of terrorism are.
Can you name me one major terrorist attack in the past 20 years that are linked to christianity?QUOTE=Somepersonhere;71773300]Lol now that you say it, its kinda true yeh.
Reply 15
Morocco has a huge Muslim population, not many terrorist attacks. It's all about the nature of politics if I'm honest.
Wow, you quite clearly know nothing about these countries.

Saudi Arabia and the Gulf States, is the main secondary source of funding for terrorism. They don't do it themselves simply because it is easier to fund. Without saudi Arabia and the Gulf states, ISIS would have nowhere near the size it has now.
Original post by ClearSky

Like someone else said, Saudi is nearly 100% Muslim but has no terrorist attacks.
Ummm.. do you know which country has the highest funding to ISIS? Oh right, the middle east, which is mostly muslim!
Original post by ByEeek
Correlation does not imply causation. Perhaps a rich fish diet including the consumption of whale meat reduces terrorism in Japan?

By contrast, Saudi Arabia is near 100% Muslim and doesn't see terririst attacks. Or UAE for that matter.
Original post by ClearSky

Like someone else said, Saudi is nearly 100% Muslim but has no terrorist attacks.

I wouldn't say it has no terrorist attacks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatif_and_Dammam_mosque_bombings
Original post by jameswright1563
Ummm.. do you know which country has the highest funding to ISIS? Oh right, the middle east, which is mostly muslim!

The OP was trying to link Muslim population with terrorist attacks. I am suggesting it is ballony. Saudi Arabia has no terrorist attacks. Iraq has loads. Both are majority Muslim countries. I would suggest security has more impact on terrorist attacks than population make up.

France by contrast has relatively few attacks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending