Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Aberdare Hall, Cardiff watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Going to Cardiff I found this quite interesting. I found it on everything2.com, when I found a link for "Virgin Megastore":

The nickname of Aberdare Hall student residence at Cardiff University. So called due to the fact it was a women only hall, and had hugely strict rules regarding curfews (11pm whilst your at University!), and were even more restrictive about anything to do with men.

I had a friend from school unfortunate enough to end up in Aberdare (not of her own choice). The story that I remember her telling me was of the time when her long term boyfriend visited her, she had to tell the wardens that he was her brother before they would let him in, and then the door to her room had to stay open for the duration of her visit. Overnight stays were right out of the question.
    Nice. Glad I'm not going there then....

ReputationRep:
    do those rules stil apply now?

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 100% sure the rules are still that strict, it is an all girls hall still however. It's an absolutely lush building and is literally over the road from my building but I think I would have gone mad there, I think you need lads to balance things out and stop it getting so *****y. So it was good old (well actually it's relatively new) Talybont for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    I'm not 100% sure the rules are still that strict, it is an all girls hall still however. It's an absolutely lush building and is literally over the road from my building but I think I would have gone mad there, I think you need lads to balance things out and stop it getting so *****y. So it was good old (well actually it's relatively new) Talybont for me
    I looked round Talybont on the open day, it looked good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I found the rooms at Talybont were a little too small though...
    Aberdare Hall looked nice, but the rules seem a little too strict for my liking. I got into Colum Hall instead!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Talybont South is the best aaaaaaah I wanna go back and live there this year! I have so many good memories of it I shall miss the social with its curly fries, pepsi music chart game and massive connect 4 *LoL*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix_down)
    I found the rooms at Talybont were a little too small though...
    Aberdare Hall looked nice, but the rules seem a little too strict for my liking. I got into Colum Hall instead!
    You know already! I'm waiting for conformation from the uni. Want Uni hall tho!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm still waiting, too... Didn't exactly get my UCAS reply sent too quickly though. Maybe that's cost me a place at Talybont North...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    You know already! I'm waiting for conformation from the uni. Want Uni hall tho!
    Yup! Since the beginning of August
    I'm happy with what i've got so i'm just waiting to move in a few weeks from now!

ReputationRep:
    I take it you've had a year out then. I've only just got my A levlel results. Arrrgh I wish the whole process was faster!

ReputationRep:
    Ack!! If my mum reads that then not only will she be demanding I go to Cardiff but want be in that hall too!

ReputationRep:
    Leaby and phoenix_down what are you gonna be studying? (carldaman I can already see what you're doing from your sig )

Did none of you fancy Victoria hall? I know it's expensive but it's seriously so lush!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    I take it you've had a year out then. I've only just got my A levlel results. Arrrgh I wish the whole process was faster!
    Yes I have! No stress about exams for me this year...
    I'm sure you'll get your info on accommodation very soon. What were your top choices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    Ack!! If my mum reads that then not only will she be demanding I go to Cardiff but want be in that hall too!
    Strange... that's exactly what my mom did when i visited Cardiff!

emmz i'll be studying City & Regional Planning come september. Which department are you in?

Can't say I ever seriously considered Victoria Hall... it was probably my 20th choice (did I have that many? Can't remember! ). How far away is it from the main academic buildings?

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying pharmacy. Victoria Hall is about 10/15 minutes walk from the academic buildings, it's in between Colum Hall and Talybont

My Mum wanted me to consider Aberdare Hall too cause I could have literally rolled out of bed, across the road and into lectures cause she knows how lazy I am *LoL* fortunately she also knows I'd go mad living in a hall full of girls!

ReputationRep:
    Strange... that's exactly what my mom did when i visited Cardiff!
    Yeah but my mum is having a major freak over university. I've mentioned it before but basically it is I have one choice about where I go - Cardiff.

Nothing againist Cardiff (it is a lovely a uni!) but it is 20 mins on a stinky train and I have done all my piano exams at the Uni's Music Dept and despite the gorgeous grand pianos, it doesn't really scream come to me.

ReputationRep:
    So which uni does scream 'come to me' for a_musical_gal?

ReputationRep:
    So which uni does scream 'come to me' for a_musical_gal?
    oh god, I didn't mean it as in a snobby "I'm too good for this place sort of way". Cardiff Uni is really nice, I was around that area today because I'm on a get healthy kick so I got off one station early and walked to Queen Street.

I am applying there but when I am there doing stuff with either my school or piano, I don't know it doesn't feel like I'm in the right place.

I'm thinking about applying (at time of writing) for Cardiff Bangor Bristol Lancaster Sussex and York. I know I don't have a chance get it to York or Bristol but I was recommend to apply for some Unis higher than predicted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    Leaby and phoenix_down what are you gonna be studying? (carldaman I can already see what you're doing from your sig )

Did none of you fancy Victoria hall? I know it's expensive but it's seriously so lush!
    Oh yeah, did fancy it aside from the expense... Though it was actually quite good value!

Anyways got my accommodation offer this morning... I got Talybont North room 6 *Waits for a current student to now tell her that it's awful.* It was my first choice and I'm really pleased... And it's en-suite too, just slightly smaller and thus a little cheaper.

I'm going to be studying psychology What about everyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Hey leaby, i think you were one of the ppl who replied to my frantic posts when choosing btwn york and cardiff. I eventually chose cardiff and will be on the psych course this year!

Anyway, i'm going to talybont south (anyone here in house 24 flat 2?!) where the rooms are nice but a little small.
    My sister informs me there's v little difference btwn north and south talybont, and having visited south i can say its nice enough for me!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.