Aberdare Hall, Cardiff Watch

This discussion is closed.
Random.Girl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Leaby)
Oh yeah, did fancy it aside from the expense... Though it was actually quite good value!

Anyways got my accommodation offer this morning... I got Talybont North room 6 *Waits for a current student to now tell her that it's awful.* It was my first choice and I'm really pleased...
Yeah I guess it is good value when you compare it to other uni's but it's like a grand extra or something compared to like Talybont isn't it? And Talybont is good

What house are you in? The newer Taly North houses look really nice from the outside, the older ones look less nice (one friend lived in one and he used to refer to it as the ghetto of Taly B *LoL*) I think they're all relatively nice inside though (obviously I can't say for definite cause I haven't been in all of them!)

(Original post by Fishcat)

Anyway, i'm going to talybont south (anyone here in house 24 flat 2?!) where the rooms are nice but a little small.
My sister informs me there's v little difference btwn north and south talybont, and having visited south i can say its nice enough for me!
Aaaah what floor are you? I was in house 24 this year, was so the best house *LoL* not that I'm biased or anything. Taly South rooms are quite a bit bigger than Taly North I think, especially in the bathroom! Oh yeah ... get used to flooding your entire bathroom when you take a shower!
Leaby
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hey leaby, i think you were one of the ppl who replied to my frantic posts when choosing btwn york and cardiff. I eventually chose cardiff and will be on the psych course this year!

Anyway, i'm going to talybont south (anyone here in house 24 flat 2?!) where the rooms are nice but a little small.
My sister informs me there's v little difference btwn north and south talybont, and having visited south i can say its nice enough for me!
Yes! I remember you! At the time, I was waiting for a reply from York. They eventually DID make me an offer and I was placed with the same dilemma...! Still, went for Cardiff in the end as well! Seeya on the psych course

Yeah I guess it is good value when you compare it to other uni's but it's like a grand extra or something compared to like Talybont isn't it? And Talybont is good

What house are you in? The newer Taly North houses look really nice from the outside, the older ones look less nice (one friend lived in one and he used to refer to it as the ghetto of Taly B *LoL*) I think they're all relatively nice inside though (obviously I can't say for definite cause I haven't been in all of them!)
You're going to tell me that's a ghetto aren't you?
Random.Girl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Leaby)
I'm in flat 3... is that what you mean? You're going to tell me that's a ghetto aren't you?
What letter house are you in?
Fishcat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Anyone got any idea how far the walk is from taly S to the psych dept?
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Not that far I think. I'm not sure though if I'm thinking about the right hall so don't kill me if it isn't.
Fishcat
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_gal)
Not that far I think. I'm not sure though if I'm thinking about the right hall so don't kill me if it isn't.
lol, cheers.
So long as it's within monday morning stumbling distance i'll be ok!
Carl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I also got my accom form this morning, and got my first choice accom. I'm in Ground Floor Flat 1, Coachmans building, University Hall. Its ensuite and everything. YAY! I'm so happy to be where I am. Anyone else got Universty Hall? My residences photo is ace, I'm half minded to go and scan it in.
Phoenix_down
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_gal)
oh god, I didn't mean it as in a snobby "I'm too good for this place sort of way".
I didn't think you were being snobby ; I just wanted to know which university you picked as your top choice.
Phoenix_down
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by carldaman)
I also got my accom form this morning, and got my first choice accom. I'm in Ground Floor Flat 1, Coachmans building, University Hall. Its ensuite and everything. YAY! I'm so happy to be where I am. Anyone else got Universty Hall? My residences photo is ace, I'm half minded to go and scan it in.
Congrats! I'm guessing you have a car? The reason why I didn't really consider University Hall is because it seemed so far away from everything but the photos of it in the residences brochure look nice. Seems as though everyone here will be at Talybont though! (except you and me)
:rolleyes:
Random.Girl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I reckon you can do it in 10 minutes if need be, probably about 15 walking normally though
Alexchelt
Report 14 years ago
Hey guys ... got my accom confirmation last week and i got into Talybont north - anyone else staying there?!
Fishcat
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by -Emmz-)
I reckon you can do it in 10 minutes if need be, probably about 15 walking normally though
More questions! Do you know how far/what is the nearest supermarket?

Also, how far appart are Taly N and S?
Random.Girl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
More questions! Do you know how far/what is the nearest supermarket?

Also, how far appart are Taly N and S?
There is a MASSIVE 24 hour Tesco right by Talybont, from house 24 I'd say it takes about 10 mins to walk up to it. Then it depends how much food you've bought to how long it takes for you to get back *LoL* ... you used to be able to get the trolleys out if you were lucky and didn't get one that locks. Then they put bollards up to stop you, yet strangely enough you could still get the trolley through however it sometimes then locked halfway across the road :eek: ... then they put more bollards up so you coudn't get the trolleys through ... people still get them out though ... I think they carry them out and across the road.

Taly N and S are basically all on the same site with the sports centre, the social, reception etc separating them ... I reckon it takes up to 10 minutes to walk from one end to the other.
Leaby
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Alexchelt)
Hey guys ... got my accom confirmation last week and i got into Talybont north - anyone else staying there?!
Yup
Fishcat
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There is a MASSIVE 24 hour Tesco right by Talybont, from house 24 I'd say it takes about 10 mins to walk up to it. Then it depends how much food you've bought to how long it takes for you to get back *LoL* ... you used to be able to get the trolleys out if you were lucky and didn't get one that locks. Then they put bollards up to stop you, yet strangely enough you could still get the trolley through however it sometimes then locked halfway across the road :eek: ... then they put more bollards up so you coudn't get the trolleys through ... people still get them out though ... I think they carry them out and across the road.

Taly N and S are basically all on the same site with the sports centre, the social, reception etc separating them ... I reckon it takes up to 10 minutes to walk from one end to the other.
Lol, erm, maybe i'll just carry my shopping!
You seem to know a lot about the place (probably as a result of living there for a year!), so is there anything else i should know?

Oh, and does the sports centre have a gym?
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Phoenix_down)
I didn't think you were being snobby ; I just wanted to know which university you picked as your top choice.
I haven't decided my top choice yet. I know the Universities which I like and can put them in ABC order which is okay for the UCAS form... lol.

I guess I'm more prepared than some of my friends who have no idea what course or unis they are applying. I figured for the best shot at the universities I'm considering are getting early interviews and auditions so I started preparing early. Good or Bad thing???
Random.Girl
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Lol, erm, maybe i'll just carry my shopping!
You seem to know a lot about the place (probably as a result of living there for a year!), so is there anything else i should know?

Oh, and does the sports centre have a gym?
Yeah the sports centre has a gym ... uuuuh other things ...

Remember to close the bathroom door properly everytime you have a shower otherwise you'll set the fire alarm off.

The washing machines like to add strange fluff onto your clothes, but as long as you don't put too much in then it's not that bad.

When you're a bit worse for wear and can't remember where your house, just look for the phone box and 24 is the one opposite that (although this didn't stop my friend trying to get into house 23 when she was completely sober! *LoL*)
Carl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Phoenix_down)
Congrats! I'm guessing you have a car? The reason why I didn't really consider University Hall is because it seemed so far away from everything but the photos of it in the residences brochure look nice. Seems as though everyone here will be at Talybont though! (except you and me)
:rolleyes:
I don't have a car actually. I'm taking my bike however, to cycle in to uni everyday and get some exercise. I like it because its apparently very lively, and also very insular (in a good way). There's a real sense of community and lots of parties. Plus it's own bar and games room. I didn't fancy Talybont because it didn't seem to have as many as many facililities on site. Uni Hall is only seven minutes cycle away. I can cope with that.
Fishcat
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah the sports centre has a gym ... uuuuh other things ...

Remember to close the bathroom door properly everytime you have a shower otherwise you'll set the fire alarm off.

The washing machines like to add strange fluff onto your clothes, but as long as you don't put too much in then it's not that bad.

When you're a bit worse for wear and can't remember where your house, just look for the phone box and 24 is the one opposite that (although this didn't stop my friend trying to get into house 23 when she was completely sober! *LoL*)
Thanks!

But just in the spirit of being annoying, I've got a few more questions! :rolleyes:

Are there washing machines in the flats, or are they in a laundromat type place?!
Also, is it a long walk from Talybont S to the student union building?

-Sorry to be a pest!
Carl
Rep:
?
Thanks!

But just in the spirit of being annoying, I've got a few more questions! :rolleyes:

Are there washing machines in the flats, or are they in a laundromat type place?!
Also, is it a long walk from Talybont S to the student union building?

-Sorry to be a pest!
Taly South is less than ten minutes walk from the Union building.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (66)
19.94%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (134)
40.48%
Nope, not that interesting (131)
39.58%

Watched Threads