Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Aberdare Hall, Cardiff watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix_down)
    I'm hoping to take the Welse lessons. I have absolutely no idea where I can speak it outside of Wales, but it's still cool to learn another language. Plus the classes are supposed to be free!
    Nos Da! Sut Wyt Ti? --- That is about it for welsh for me and I am welsh. Welsh is the second hardest lingo in the world and I'm not bothering to learn any more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    Nos Da! Sut Wyt Ti? --- That is about it for welsh for me and I am welsh. Welsh is the second hardest lingo in the world and I'm not bothering to learn any more.
    Noswaith dda!

2nd hardest!? Whats the hardest?

What course are u on Emmz?
    Is getting the NUS card etc a lot of hassle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    Nos da, bendigedig, a ti? (I don't think the last bit is right *LoL*)

(Original post by Fishcat)

What course are u on Emmz?
    Is getting the NUS card etc a lot of hassle?
    Pharmacy. It's just generally a lot of queuing as every first year is going to get their NUS and loan cheque.

ReputationRep:
    Welsh lessons eh? That would be cool.

Do you think we'll get our timetable at enrolement?
    Yeah I was thinking I might go for it... my timetable hopefully won't be too packed and at the end of the course you should hopefully have knowledge of Welsh up to A level standard. It's also good to enhance job prospects in Wales.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I can't wait. Still waiting for my enrolment papers, hopefully they'll arrive tommorrow. Does it depend on when you return your confirmation of accommodation? I sent mine off on Saturday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    Wow, I can't wait. Still waiting for my enrolment papers, hopefully they'll arrive tommorrow. Does it depend on when you return your confirmation of accommodation? I sent mine off on Saturday.
    No it doesn't - they sent mine through before I sent off my accommodation form.

ReputationRep:
    Ninian Park is right next to the millenium stadium, easily missed coz the millenium stadium towers over it hehe.
    Noooo! That's Cardiff Arms Park where the Cardiff Blues (rugby play), Cardiff City play in Ninian Park which I would say isn't walkable from Talybont although there are plenty of buses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feedtheflamingo)
    Noooo! That's Cardiff Arms Park where the Cardiff Blues (rugby play), Cardiff City play in Ninian Park which I would say isn't walkable from Talybont although there are plenty of buses.
    I did think it was odd that their ground was right next to the rugby ground!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feedtheflamingo)
    Aaaah thank god for you! I knew the rugby ground was there but I was really confuzzled when someone said Ninian Park was there too cause I've never seen it *LoL*

ReputationRep:
    Arrrgghh what a load of crap. I recieved my letter of confirmation of reciept of my accommodation choice, all of which is good, BUT, they say the latter didn't contain the two passport photos that were required. Thats all well and good, but I definitely put in two passport photos. Before I post off two more I think I'll phone them to check up on whether its a mistake. Either way it's frustrating and shows how incompetent they can be. Still waiting for my enrolment papers.

ReputationRep:
    Argh! just got back from hols to find the biggest pile of paper EVER for me to make sense of. :eek:
    Much too tired to do it now tho!

I'm sure it says somewhere in the muchos muchos paper, but when does freshers week start?

ReputationRep:
    i have been looking on the cardiff student union website and there are events planned for the freshers on the 25th and 26th, i was planning to go up on the 27th tho.
    if loadsa ppl are gonna go up for the 25th i will go (dont wanna miss out) if not i will go on the sun as planned.
    what are everyone elses plans?

ba

ReputationRep:
    Argh! just got back from hols to find the biggest pile of paper EVER for me to make sense of. :eek:
    I was in the same situation as you - piles of paper and forms to fill out! Making a checklist helps though. I made one and now i've finished with just about all the things I'm supposed to do before I reach Cardiff.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it says somewhere in the muchos muchos paper, but when does freshers week start?
    I believe it's supposed to start on Friday 24th September

http://www.cardiffstudents.com/main/whatson

ReputationRep:
    yeah thats the site i was looking at. it says buy your tickets - i hope freshers dont have to do that, i found this website by chance so i assume we get in free.
    is everyone planning to go up on the 24th then?

ba

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackapache)
    yeah thats the site i was looking at. it says buy your tickets - i hope freshers dont have to do that, i found this website by chance so i assume we get in free.
    is everyone planning to go up on the 24th then?

ba
    You have to pay to get into Solus (apart from Factory on Mondays, which is usually free). You can buy tickets from the box office at anytime. Sometimes you're okay just going up and paying on the night (but you'll usually have to queue down the steps). Saturday nights (come play) are usually particularly popular and tickets usually sell out during in the week ... also sometimes Wednesdays (Rubber Duck) sell out, especially at the beginning of the term.

I'm going down on the 25th but I'm not a fresher

ReputationRep:
    Actually just looked at the SU site and the first Saturday is Who The F**K Are You ... I went to that last year and we were okay getting tickets on the door ...

Oh and the first Fun Factory isn't free either cause it's a special one ... I think it's usually free on normal Mondays though :confused:

Traffic Light Party on the Tuesday, that was so much fun last year

Last year as well Liquid (a club in town) did their own fresher's party - if you wanna go I'd advise you to get your tickets as soon as you can. We waited until everyone in our flat was there and by that time they'd all gone. Tried to get in on the door but it was like the whole of Cardiff was trying to get in *LoL* ended up in Flares - which is wicked, but embarassing when it's your first time on with all your flatmates and loads of old men try and come onto to you :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    Oh and the first Fun Factory isn't free either cause it's a special one ... I think it's usually free on normal Mondays though :confused:
    Fleece the new kids huh? Very kind.
    :rolleyes:

What clubs/pubs/grubs can u reccommend other than in the SU?

ReputationRep:
    what kinda music are you into? I live in cardiff I go to warwick uni though so my knowledge of the union isn't too hot

Personally for pubs i go to the rummer tavern(near the castle), the claude (on albany rd), the gatekeeper(near the millennium stadium) and the woodville (near the SU).

Club wise, theres clwb ifor bach which is sort of indie, then metros which is a dive but has cheap drinks on wednesdays (metros plays cheese through to death metal...). Then clubs such as creation (pretty much everything i think...), liquid, evolution(down the bay, popular with townies), barfly too is good for gigs. Town gets very busy on fri and sat nights (especially sat I find as all the people from the valleys come down...)

Eating wise- china kitchen takeaway across the road from the claude (my local chinese- I live 5 mins up the road from uni hall) is excellent, theres loads of good restaurants downtown too...including some in the brewery quarter (nandos, chiquitos, some tapas bar...).

ReputationRep:
    Fleece the new kids huh? Very kind.
    :rolleyes:

What clubs/pubs/grubs can u reccommend other than in the SU?
    *LoL* it's cause it's an all building event so the great hall will be open as well as Solus.

There are literally sooooooo many clubs and pubs in Cardiff. I like Creation, student night (Saucy Monkey ) last year was Monday (don't know if they'll change it this year) ... it's good but it does get completely rammed in there so I prefer Tuesdays in there, which it vodka republic or something like that ... drinks are basically as cheap as they are on Monday but you can actually move in there/get to the bar/dance with out banging into everyone. Tip - if you wanna get in free (although you can in free on Mondays with your snap-a-fax thingy) then get to The Bar @ just before 10 and then you get in free to there and then you can go downstairs into Creation for free

Uuuh Liquid was alright when we first got down there. They do all you can drink for £10 on Saturday nights ... although it's better to pay the extra money to go VIP cause then you get access to somewhere to sit down and another bar. I think we over did it though and got bored of it. The last time I went there was on a Wednesday (£1.50 drinks) and we literally stayed in there for 15 minutes before going back up to the union for Rubber Duck. I'm sure during freshers it'll be packed though.

I loooove Jumpin' Jacks cause I love a bit of cheese last year with youe snap-a-fax you could get in free Tuesday - Friday and your first drink was free. Thursday nights are the best cause it's school disco night.

Bar Risa isn't bad either - Wednesday nights are best in there.

Then there's loads of bars - the Wetherspoons are obviously wicked for warm up drinks ... then there's a Varsity (which I like a lot cause they've got a dance floor in there), a Lloyds bar ... and loads more.

As you're living at Talybont you'll probably go to the social a lot ... they do really good food for cheap (although the Sunday lunches are sometimes a bit dodgy if you get there late) but like you can get steak and chips for £3, or my personal fave was chicken wraps with curly fries ... they do cheap cocktail pitchers too, sex on the sofa is lush!

Then there's the Blackweir Tavern which does nice food and also lethal but lush cocktail pitchers! I love Wetherspoons for food too cause it's quite cheap but nice.

I haven't even covered half of what Cardiff has to offer, but it's amazing and I'm sure you'll love it

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.