Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Aberdare Hall, Cardiff watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Have spent the morning trying to sort through all that paper, and have done most of it apart from the medical forms, cos i cant remember what vaccinations/ hospital admissions i've had when!

Thanks for all your good information, but i'm not much of a socialite and (or is that 'because'?) i dont drink, so are ppl usually hammered in all these places?

Also, what good pubs are there to watch sport? Plus what cinemas are there in Cardiff, and is there student discount?

-cheers for putting up with the spanish inquisition!

ReputationRep:
    theres 3 cinemas in cardiff. Well, 4 but one is up in the valleys.

UGC and Ster Century are downtown. UGC does £2.50 entry with an NUS card.

As for watching sport, theres LOADS of pubs downtown which have good atmosphere (I like dempseys...).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fishcat)
    Have spent the morning trying to sort through all that paper, and have done most of it apart from the medical forms, cos i cant remember what vaccinations/ hospital admissions i've had when!

Thanks for all your good information, but i'm not much of a socialite and (or is that 'because'?) i dont drink, so are ppl usually hammered in all these places?

Also, what good pubs are there to watch sport? Plus what cinemas are there in Cardiff, and is there student discount?

-cheers for putting up with the spanish inquisition!
    Yeah it's kind've worrying me, too, as I've never been to a club in my life! Was also in the "no drinking" club until the beginning of the summer.

Edit: Also, am I the only one going up on the 22nd?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    Yeah it's kind've worrying me, too, as I've never been to a club in my life! Was also in the "no drinking" club until the beginning of the summer.

ARGH! These "server is to busy" error messages are driving me crazy! :mad:

Anyhoo, I'm definately going up on the 22nd. I'll probably stay there 'til friday, then go home for the weekend. Apparently going on the weekday avoids muchos queing, plus it'll be quieter in Cardiff if you go to look around.

Btw, do we have to get a TV licence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynox)
    UGC does £2.50 entry with an NUS card.
    :eek: Have the lowered the price? It was £3 the last time I went there (probably in May) ... it used to be £2 for students on Wednesdays but they stopped that

ReputationRep:
    ARGH! These "server is to busy" error messages are driving me crazy! :mad:

Anyhoo, I'm definately going up on the 22nd. I'll probably stay there 'til friday, then go home for the weekend. Apparently going on the weekday avoids muchos queing, plus it'll be quieter in Cardiff if you go to look around.

Btw, do we have to get a TV licence?
    Lol, you like the word "muchos" don't you?

Yeah apparently they prefer you to go down on one of the 3 weekdays. As for the TV licence I don't know but presumably it'll be the same as most universities in that if you have a TV you'll need a licence if you don't want to be fined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    Lol, you like the word "muchos" don't you?

Yeah apparently they prefer you to go down on one of the 3 weekdays. As for the TV licence I don't know but presumably it'll be the same as most universities in that if you have a TV you'll need a licence if you don't want to be fined.
    Sorry, i imagine its muchos annoying!

I can't find anything about tv licences in the accommodation pack thing. (That doesn't mean its not there tho!). Of course i have to get a TV before i worry too much about that! :rolleyes:

Is it true that our 1st year doesn't count for jack, or did my imagination conjure that up? it wouldn't be the first time

ReputationRep:
    If you have a TV in your room then you should in theory get a TV licence.

Your first year doesn't count towards your final degree classification but obviously you do have to pass it to carry on to your second year. I think this is a good thing though cause I hardly did any work last year cause everything is so new and exciting and you don't wanna miss anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    If you have a TV in your room then you should in theory get a TV licence.

Your first year doesn't count towards your final degree classification but obviously you do have to pass it to carry on to your second year. I think this is a good thing though cause I hardly did any work last year cause everything is so new and exciting and you don't wanna miss anything
    i'm also moving in on the 22nd. not long to go now!

EDIT: did anyone else get their SU pack today? Gair Rhydd is an excellent read; the funniest newspaper ever. Read the letters and the problem page.

ReputationRep:
    might have upped the price. Not been there since april

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ynox)
    might have upped the price. Not been there since april
    Huh? I think you're on the wrong thread mate. Unless you mean the UGC cinema prices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)

I leave home on the 22nd but since it's a long trip, i'll actually be at cardiff on the 23rd. Not much time now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix_down)
    I leave home on the 22nd but since it's a long trip, i'll actually be at cardiff on the 23rd. Not much time now...
    !!!
    Where you coming from, and what course are you on?!

ReputationRep:
    Btw, i just heard from a friend that joinging a sports team at cardiff involves an initiation, usually involving drinking copious amounts of (or "muchos") alcohol and public acts of foolishness. Is this true? Because i'm not very well qualified for either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    EDIT: did anyone else get their SU pack today? Gair Rhydd is an excellent read; the funniest newspaper ever. Read the letters and the problem page.
    I love the problem page, it's soooo funny! Do you know who you've got at your Freshers Ball yet?

Btw, i just heard from a friend that joinging a sports team at cardiff involves an initiation, usually involving drinking copious amounts of (or "muchos") alcohol and public acts of foolishness. Is this true? Because i'm not very well qualified for either!
    I think it does for some; although I'm sure they wouldn't force you to take part. My friend is on the hockey team and on the first practise he came back to the flat VERY drunk ... there were also drunk male members of the team walking around Talybont with not much on *LoL* I'm sure they wouldn't make you do anything you didn't wanna do though cause obviously some people choose not to drink or can't for various reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Just got the student packy thingy today, and yes we do need a tv licence. pah.

There's a fair ammount of clubs etc in the 'Ultimate Guide'. Anyone got any first hand experience in any of the clubs/societies? Any good?
    Also, with the sports team, how good do you have to be to join even the 4th team. I've played hockey for about 5 years on and off, but i'm pretty dire at it!

Edit: Just noticed there's a psychology social which involves much heavy drinking

ReputationRep:
    Just got the student packy thingy today, and yes we do need a tv licence. pah.

There's a fair ammount of clubs etc in the 'Ultimate Guide'. Anyone got any first hand experience in any of the clubs/societies? Any good?
    Also, with the sports team, how good do you have to be to join even the 4th team. I've played hockey for about 5 years on and off, but i'm pretty dire at it!

Edit: Just noticed there's a psychology social whinch involves much heavy drinking
    Ah I'm sure there are plenty of people who won't want to! The holiday and the trip to Alton Towers sounds smashing though!

As for societies the ActOne and the Film Society sound pretty cool... I'm dire at sport!

"Muchos" is funny not annoying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    Ah I'm sure there are plenty of people who won't want to! The holiday and the trip to Alton Towers sounds smashing though!

As for societies the ActOne and the Film Society sound pretty cool... I'm dire at sport!

I agree with the film society, but the very idea of going on stage makes me feel queasy these days, so act one might be out of the question.

Inside Out sounds cool, but i'm not really sure what it's for! Or maybe the jazz society, though i have the musical ability of a crisp packet....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)

I agree with the film society, but the very idea of going on stage makes me feel (muchos) queasy these days, so act one might be out of the question.

Inside Out sounds cool, but i'm not really sure what it's for! Or maybe the jazz society, though i have the musical ability of a crisp packet....

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the film society, but the very idea of going on stage makes me feel (muchos) queasy these days, so act one might be out of the question.

Yeah I remember the Inside Out one, sounds pretty good.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.