Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Aberdare Hall, Cardiff watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Erm, just thought of it, but do we have a reading list for psych? Cos if we have, i havent read anything on it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fishcat)
    Erm, just thought of it, but do we have a reading list for psych? Cos if we have, i havent read anything on it!
    I think they did send one but as with all reading lists they don't expect you to pick up these books until you get there... Many students sell their old ones off second hand, and the library has a copy of all the books you need in any case.

ReputationRep:
    I fancy the French and motorsport societies-I love motorsport and would love to get involved. Only one week now! Yay!

ReputationRep:
    No chance i'm gonna go to Aberdare Hall. Way too strict

Cardiffs the best City Ever :cool: Great Night Life, Culture and Shops

ReputationRep:
    A question...

Do we have to pay for our insurance separately or is insurance for various items included in the accommodation? It seemed to suggest the latter in the "offer of accommodation" pack but in that pack the students' union sent recently there were forms to send off for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    A question...

Do we have to pay for our insurance separately or is insurance for various items included in the accommodation? It seemed to suggest the latter in the "offer of accommodation" pack but in that pack the students' union sent recently there were forms to send off for it.
    I don't know, it could depend on what hall you're in. I'm in Uni Hall, and with my accomodation pack there was an Endsleigh booklet with several documents enclosed; one of which was a "Certificate of Insurance". It covers all possesions in my room (minus excess but including portable computer equipment (which I presume means my laptop)). However, it doesn't cover bicycles or mobile phones, so I'm going to have to insure them separately.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    I don't know, it could depend on what hall you're in. I'm in Uni Hall, and with my accomodation pack there was an Endsleigh booklet with several documents enclosed; one of which was a "Certificate of Insurance". It covers all possesions in my room (minus excess but including portable computer equipment (which I presume means my laptop)). However, it doesn't cover bicycles or mobile phones, so I'm going to have to insure them separately.

Hope that helps.
    Ditto.

Its worth checking your parent's home insurance, apparently mine's covers mobile phones and laptops even if they aren't in the house.

Getting nervous yet?

ReputationRep:
    !!!
    Where you coming from, and what course are you on?!
    Comin from Trinidad and I'll be on the City & Regional Planning course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix_down)
    Comin from Trinidad and I'll be on the City & Regional Planning course.
    Ah, Cardiff Uni's best course!

Though why you'd want to leave sunny Trinidad for rainy Wales i don't know!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, Cardiff Uni's best course!

Though why you'd want to leave sunny Trinidad for rainy Wales i don't know!
    Cardiff isn't that bad really... maybe I just visited on a good day? I'll surely miss the weather in Trinidad but I'm sure there are lots of other things to look forward to in Cardiff!

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff isn't that bad really... maybe I just visited on a good day? I'll surely miss the weather in Trinidad but I'm sure there are lots of other things to look forward to in Cardiff!
    Um it really does rain a fair bit in Cardiff. Its a Welsh thing, but you'll soon get used to it! It is a lovely city though. Unbeatable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)

Hope that helps.
    Yeah thanks, I did get that certificate thingy but the fact that they sent a separate form confused me a bit! I seem to remember that mine covered laptops... worth checking again really!

Has everyone finished packing? I have nearly! It's getting me all emotional

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    Has everyone finished packing? I have nearly! It's getting me all emotional
    Yeah, I finished last night with mom's help (actually... she basically repacked everything herself with me throwing in a sock or shirt in between ). Started crying as I put the last few things in... I'm really going to miss my family but hopefully I'll really enjoy my experience at cardiff. I'm leaving home the day after tomorrow!!

ReputationRep:
    Hope this doesn't sound patronising but I think international students are so brave

Aaaaah I can't wait till Saturday now

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I finished last night with mom's help (actually... she basically repacked everything herself with me throwing in a sock or shirt in between ). Started crying as I put the last few things in... I'm really going to miss my family but hopefully I'll really enjoy my experience at cardiff. I'm leaving home the day after tomorrow!!
    Lol my mum did exactly the same thing... Am not complaining but it forces me to question whether I'm actually ready to be independent!

Am leaving... tomorrow. Crap.

Am I right in thinking there's nowhere I have to be until Friday for freshers' events?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    Hope this doesn't sound patronising but I think international students are so brave
    Thanks for the compliment.
    In my case it might be bravery or just me being a little naive about how difficult moving to another country can be!
    Most of my friends who have gone abroad to study seem to be enjoying it anyway so that gives me some confidence.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.