So IGCSEs are not recognised qualifications?

Watch
username3016746
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Long story short, I maybe doing Maths GCSE but English IGCSE. Someone kn here told me IGCSE are not recognised and I shouldnt go this route, however due to circumstance its looking likely that I will do IGCSE English and worst case scenario possibly IGCSE Maths which I am hoping isnt the case. Are IGCSEs really that worthless? Surely they hold the exact sane weight as normal GCSEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
rickH123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Got Milk)
Long story short, I maybe doing Maths GCSE but English IGCSE. Someone kn here told me IGCSE are not recognised and I shouldnt go this route, however due to circumstance its looking likely that I will do IGCSE English and worst case scenario possibly IGCSE Maths which I am hoping isnt the case. Are IGCSEs really that worthless? Surely they hold the exact sane weight as normal GCSEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'm doing further maths so i need to know this too. bumping
WilliamGates
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think you are trolling but ofc they are recognised, they are more rigorous too.

should count for more, ocr gcse science so easy compared to igcse edexcel sciences
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
More rigorous in sciences and maths and recognised, yes
aintnobody
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They're recognised as GCSE's however aren't recognised by league tables so you're school may not rank well if they do IGCSE's however this shouldn't effect you
username3016746
Rep:
?
(Original post by aintnobody)
They're recognised as GCSE's however aren't recognised by league tables so you're school may not rank well if they do IGCSE's however this shouldn't effect you
Ah ok this is where my confusion was!

Posted from TSR Mobile
username3016746
Rep:
?
(Original post by glad-he-ate-her)
More rigorous in sciences and maths and recognised, yes
So its harder than normal GCSEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
thekidwhogames
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So its harder than normal GCSEs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say that the previous IGCSE Maths > old GCSE Maths due to its implementation of problem solving. However, with the new 9-1 - problem solving is improved so for new specs, I'd say they're the same. IGCSE covers basic calculus which 9-1 doesn't however 9-1 stretches the easy topics i.e. ratios where IGCSE doesn't.

IGCSE takes new topics i.e. Calculus 1 mile down
GCSE Maths 9-1 takes old topics like ratios and coordinate geometry 1000 miles away basically.

I'd say go for GCSE if you can as they're more known but they're equally as good
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No. They are recognised and have the same weight as GCSEs.
Pastelx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
IGCSEs are "International General Certificates of Secondry Education" which means (I think) they are the GCSE equivalent taken by international English schools around the world, as well as non-state schools in Britain if they opt to do them.

Generally they are harder but the grade boundaries balance that to an extent. Usually a higher percentage of people get A*s in IGCSEs (or at least AQA ones from what I know), for example, around 40% get them in sciences. That's partially because schools opt to do the harder courses if they have higher performing students, although that's not always the case.

To answer your question, GCSEs and IGCSEs are worth the same in terms of qualifications, and one isn't really seen as better than the other. My school opts to do Modern Language, Maths and Science IGCSEs and it's just their choice at the end of the day. Doesn't make a difference to the students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (195)
14.4%
I'm not sure (61)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.03%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.73%
I'm not a current university student (668)
49.34%

Watched Threads