The Student Room Group

Job interview during work hours, what to do?

I don't like my current job so I've been secretly applying for new jobs and I'm invited for an interview next week but the problem is I will be working on that day. I work in a retail store so it's hard to get holidays. My only option is to swap my shift with somebody else but they all do part time whilst I do full time so there is no one to swap my shift with. Also I'm required to book holiday 2 weeks in advance so I can't book a holiday either. I don't want to call in sick as they are very strict with that. My only choice is to arrange the interview for a later date which I do not want to do as it may sound rude to the employer but what if they refuse to arrange a later date, I'll have no choice but to miss my interview.
I'd say your only option is to call in sick as they're unlikely to allow you time off to attend a job interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you say you have to attend a doctors appointment? Then you don't have to miss the whole shift, also hospital appointments often come through at late notice and you have to wait months for them so you have a good reason not to rearrange. It's unlikely this other job will reschedule the interview.
Original post by doodle_333
Can you say you have to attend a doctors appointment? Then you don't have to miss the whole shift, also hospital appointments often come through at late notice and you have to wait months for them so you have a good reason not to rearrange. It's unlikely this other job will reschedule the interview.

Might be asked for proof of appointment
Original post by fxlloutboyy

could just say the hospital rang yesterday to offer a cancellation

I've never been asked for proof of appointment although I guess it could happen somewhere dysfunctional
Reply 5
Original post by fxlloutboyy

Unlikely.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's always tough, and it shouldn't be really. I think it can act as such a blocker for changing job. However, I wouldn't recommend calling in sick if you can really help it.

I'm usually an 'honesty is the best policy' but employers can be so funny with things like this. Only you know if you think your boss would treat you fairly or not.

I wouldn't say make a hospital appointment because you may be asked for proof and your employer has every right to ask for it (as you tend to get a letter anyway). However a doctors/ dentist/ opticians appointment they do not as you don't get proof for them. Just talk to your boss, explain you have an appointment next week and you need to swap shifts, hopefully it should only be half a day. Really they shouldn't ask for too many details unless you think it will be a reoccurring issue, which you would explain that it's not. It's not like you're asking for too much. You're still saying you'll work the hours, just at a different time.

I hope you find a way around it and good luck with the interview.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't like my current job so I've been secretly applying for new jobs and I'm invited for an interview next week but the problem is I will be working on that day. I work in a retail store so it's hard to get holidays. My only option is to swap my shift with somebody else but they all do part time whilst I do full time so there is no one to swap my shift with. Also I'm required to book holiday 2 weeks in advance so I can't book a holiday either. I don't want to call in sick as they are very strict with that. My only choice is to arrange the interview for a later date which I do not want to do as it may sound rude to the employer but what if they refuse to arrange a later date, I'll have no choice but to miss my interview.

As for excuses, it’s best to be as vague as possible. “I need to take care of some personal business” or, even better, “I have an appointment” works 90% of the time. Often there is no need to go into more detail and, quite literally, you aren’t fibbing.
Just say you are ill. You are allowed to be ill for up to 5 days without a sick note. If you don't get paid leave you will just have to take the hit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending