Chemistry Paper 2: subject content Watch

A5719
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have a few questions about chemistry unit 2:
1 - For the process of electrolysis is hydrogen always formed? at the cathode?
2 - How many factors affect rate of reaction ?
3 - How do you work out the empirical formula ?
Yorrick
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by A5719)
I have a few questions about chemistry unit 2:
1 - For the process of electrolysis is hydrogen always formed? at the cathode?
2 - How many factors affect rate of reaction ?
3 - How do you work out the empirical formula ?
1- Hydrogen is only formed if:

a) The ionic compound is in solution (i.e. dissolved in water) instead of being molten.
b) The positive ion in the ionic compound is HIGHER on the reactivity series than hydrogen (you get given the reactivity series, so you won't need to remember this)

If both of these are true, then hydrogen forms at teh cathode. It never forms at the anode because hydrogen ions are positive and are attracted to the negative electrode, which is the cathode.

In case it comes up, the half equation for hydrogen (higher only) is

2H+ + 2e- --> H2

This is the only positive ion half equation where the product is a diatomic molecule.

2- Factors that affect rate:

Concentration: More particles dissolved in a volume of water mean more collisions.

Pressure: More gas particles in a space mean more collisions.

Temperature: The particles have more kinetic energy so they move faster, meaning there is more chance of collisions. Also, more particles have energy equal to or above the activation energy, so there are more successful collisions.

Surface area of a solid: More of the solid is exposed to the liquid, so there are more collisions.

Catalyst: The catalyst reduces the activation energy for a reaction, so more particles have the activation energy, so there are more successful collisions.

Here is a great video to help you remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OttRV5ykP7A

3) For an empirical formula clculation, you will be given the mass of the elements in athe compound. The mass may be given in % or in grams. It doesn't matter what the unit is, you follow the following steps.

1) For each element, use the periodic table to get the relative atomic mass (the top number).
2) For each element calculate the mass divided by the relative atomic mass (this gives the moles of each element).
3) Find the smallest value for the moles.
4) Divide the moles of each element by the smallest value for the moles. This means that the element with the smallest number of moles will have 1 mole.
5) If a value to 4 is almost a whole number, round it to the nearest whole number. If a value has a half, multiply all the numbers by 2 to make them whole.
6) Express as an equation.

I have attached a load of empirical formulae questions for you and there is an exaample here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...gherrev2.shtml
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (57)
15.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (33)
9.04%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (72)
19.73%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (54)
14.79%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (40)
10.96%
How can I be the best version of myself? (109)
29.86%

Watched Threads