The Student Room Group

Do companies prefer someone with a degree or achievments?

In terms of applying for jobs with companies, are university degrees outdated for this? Do companies now prefer someone with a degree or someone who has built successful companies?

For example, if a company were looking for someone to fill a management or marketing role. would they prefer someone who had no degree but had built 6 figure companies, or would they prefer someone with a business degree but little business experience?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Hayo6
Do companies prefer someone with a degree or someone who has built successful companies?

For example, if a company were looking for someone to fill a management or marketing role. would they prefer someone who had no degree but had built 6 figure companies, or would they prefer someone with a degree but little business experience?

You can tell from the job description. They usually prefer someone with both experience and qualifications. They both have their uses.
Companies like degrees. They are useful sign posts for filtering applications. But if someone who had built several of their own companies were applying for one of my jobs, I would be asking why? Why not pursue that option or they are making chronic mistakes.
Original post by 999tigger
You can tell from the job description. They usually prefer someone with both experience and qualifications. They both have their uses.

I agree.
Original post by ByEeek
Companies like degrees. They are useful sign posts for filtering applications. But if someone who had built several of their own companies were applying for one of my jobs, I would be asking why? Why not pursue that option or they are making chronic mistakes.

Degrees arent the be all and end all. You dont need a degree for everything, and they are overrated in some cases/career areas.
I agree with your second statement though about the people with companies applying for one of your jobs.
Degrees are the minimum requirements, achievements are what you need for a promotion or a raise.

You need truly exceptional experience to get to the same level without a degree, you don't need any achievements to reach certain levels as long as you have a degree.

So I'd say to most people, a degree is much more useful than any achievements, as it gives you a foot at the door. If you are incredibly talented and really made major achievements, then maybe you can do without one.
Reply 6
There is a theory that individuals who have worked for themself for too long may make poor employees within a larger, more formal, organisation, I am pretty sure I fall into this category these days, I have not worked within any formal hierarchy for too many years, a transition back to one would be really difficult- smaller business entities are often far less structured.

The entrepreneurial spirit they bring to your organisisation is only good if you can harness it and they are not rogue, if they have got to the stage of being incapable of listening and constantly fighting your or others' decisions they just become too high maintenance.

What I want to see is intelligence, initiative ,ability to self learn but coupled with a good natured and non confrontational attitude and a willingness to stand their ground in a civilised manner (stay calm); this latter can often be the most difficult to marry with the first three.

The degree gives indications (no more- there are a fair number of pretty dense individuals with degrees) re the intelligence and ability to self learn skills , it may also indicate initiative, especially if achieved under adverse/difficult circumstances ( parents pushing you into university because that is what is done may be a negative re scoring initiative, be prepared to explain why you did the degree)
Original post by Hayo6
In terms of applying for jobs with companies, are university degrees outdated for this? Do companies now prefer someone with a degree or someone who has built successful companies?

For example, if a company were looking for someone to fill a management or marketing role. would they prefer someone who had no degree but had built 6 figure companies, or would they prefer someone with a business degree but little business experience?

It depends on what sort of company it is. To be on the safe side, try to both have good educational achievements and build up your experience. In addition to that, try to improve your soft skills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending