The Student Room Group

A-levels for Medicine

I'm in Year 11 and I've already chosen my a levels which are maths, biology, chemistry, and psychology. I was just wondering, if I wanted to do Medicine in the future would I need to do biology at a-level? I was going to change my option to physics but I just wanted some advice first. ((I've heard biology has a lot of content))
Original post by ZainahS
I'm in Year 11 and I've already chosen my a levels which are maths, biology, chemistry, and psychology. I was just wondering, if I wanted to do Medicine in the future would I need to do biology at a-level? I was going to change my option to physics but I just wanted some advice first. ((I've heard biology has a lot of content))

You don't require it for some universities. Some require it at AS at a minimum some require it as a full A-Level and some require ether physics of biology. Short answer it will only benefit you as a whole if you take biology over physics. Or scrap psychology and do physics as that would be a better A-level. To give you the most choices of universities to choose from then do biology at A2 and worse case drop it after AS if you decide to do 4 a-levels.
Original post by Konanabanana
You don't require it for some universities. Some require it at AS at a minimum some require it as a full A-Level and some require ether physics of biology. Short answer it will only benefit you as a whole if you take biology over physics. Or scrap psychology and do physics as that would be a better A-level. To give you the most choices of universities to choose from then do biology at A2 and worse case drop it after AS if you decide to do 4 a-levels.

Ok thanks, I'll just stick with biology then. Also I don't think we do AS anymore?
Original post by ZainahS
Ok thanks, I'll just stick with biology then. Also I don't think we do AS anymore?

You still do AS exams they just don't mean anything towards your final grade. They are just used to give universities and insight onto your current situation as well as your predicted grades. So do well in your AS because it is apart of the application process despite it not adding towards your final grade.
As noted, it's not required for all unis, but most will want it to at least AS level. Additionally, you'll be at a disadvantage if you're still picking up basic elements of cell and molecular biology going into first year medicine courses. Furthermore, they may be a bit...suspicious? That you didn't take it when you had the option; they may think it indicates a reluctance to commit to the course/profession.

If you're interested in keeping your options open and enjoy physics, I'd second @Konanabanana's suggestion to swap Psychology for Physics. Psychology courses at uni rarely, if ever require psychology (and at least a couple previously indicated that they prefer students not to do psych at A-level as it's taught differently and not to their liking, compared to the degree), and physics/maths/chemistry with AS bio (or all 4 at A-level) gives you a huge leeway in selecting courses to apply for, both within and outside the sciences, if you decide against pursuing medicine for whatever reason.
I think it would be sensible to do biology if you want to do medicine.
Original post by Konanabanana
You still do AS exams they just don't mean anything towards your final grade. They are just used to give universities and insight onto your current situation as well as your predicted grades. So do well in your AS because it is apart of the application process despite it not adding towards your final grade.

Oh I didn't realise that 😬 Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest