The Student Room Group

[Muslims] do you find this offensive?

Poll

do you find the vid offensive?

So the Youtuber Harry aka Wroetoshaw posted a vid which shows a Quranic verse being played, with the back drop of a grime beat.

(I'm a Muslim btw)

https://twitter.com/wroetoshaw/status/869267040623841280

Some might consider this as mocking the Quran because the Quran is sacred and cherish by us Muslims.

But I lean towards the camp of it's not offensive. I mean he's shown an interest at least. Plus I'm sure there is an Islamic song out there which includes Qur'anic verses being played over an hip hop beat - don't quote me on this. There is nothing malicious about it IMO.

How can we expect to bridge the gap between communities if we literally find everything offensive. Harry expressed an interest, he pretty much got slaughtered on Twitter, which likely means his interest is subdued. He certainly won't explore the verse further.

I lied I'm offended...by the choice of beat.

Please be nice to one another.
(edited 6 years ago)
First of all it doesnt really go well together lmao

Secondly, "dont mean to be offensive" - you probably are being offensive (to a small minority), not to me personally, i just see this as some guy trying to get attention and has clearly succeeded lmao
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah, it's a lil bit off-beat but heeeyy that's pretty good.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Fermion.

Secondly, "dont mean to be offensive" - you probably are being offensive (to a small minority), not to me personally, i just see this as some guy trying to get attention and has clearly succeeded lmao

I'm pretty sure he's a decently popular youtuber. Don't think he needed more attention, but alas, that's what he got.
Reply 4
Original post by Fermion.

I don't watch his vids often. But I know he ain't the type of to seek attention for views or clicks. He does however have opinions which goes against the grains of convention. Like one time, he said something like 'I can see why Trump is appealing to some people' - got a ton of hate.
(edited 6 years ago)
People put religious text to music all the time
It's not offensive
Reply 6
Bump
Original post by Ua3142
So the Youtuber Harry aka Wroetoshaw posted a vid which shows a Quranic verse being played, with the back drop of a grime beat.

(I'm a Muslim btw)

https://twitter.com/wroetoshaw/status/869267040623841280

Some might consider this as mocking the Quran because the Quran is sacred and cherish by us Muslims.

But I lean towards the camp of it's not offensive. I mean he's shown an interest at least. Plus I'm sure there is an Islamic song out there which includes Qur'anic verses being played over an hip hop beat - don't quote me on this. There is nothing malicious about it IMO.

How can we expect to bridge the gap between communities if we literally find everything offensive. Harry expressed an interest, he pretty much got slaughtered on Twitter, which likely means his interest is subdued. He certainly won't explore the verse further.

I lied I'm offended...by the choice of beat.

Please be nice to one another.

It's not offensive but it is incredibly disrespectful. **** knows how many other people are gonna try the same.****.
The verses of the Qur'an are not to be used as a form of music.
It's very very disrespectful

Latest