Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samuel Page)
    Hi There,

RE: Learning Disorder (ld)

The best thing to do would be to contact the student support officer at the university you are interested in. They will advise you on the Universities policies.

Do you have an educational psycologists report or anything to show exactly what your ld is? If not I would advise having a proper test carried out, then you can apply to Uni and say "my grades may of slipped, this is why, and heres the proof" - Then they are not allowed, by law, to discriminate re your ld.

Hope thats helpful, look for more info on my site www.beingdyslexic.co.uk - I will soon be adding big areas specifically about applying to uni while have a ld.
    Yep, i do have a educational psychologists report. Thanks for the advice, i will contact the uni's asap.

ReputationRep:
    I thught you may fnd this page helpful, it tells you want you would be entitled to if you needed extra support

http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk/documents/dsa.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samuel Page)
    I thught you may fnd this page helpful, it tells you want you would be entitled to if you needed extra support

http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk/documents/dsa.php
    Thanks, that page was really useful. I know for sure that i cannot cope without a lap top or word processor at uni, so i will be thinking of applying for funding that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    Hi,

I've just come back from V festival and now that results have sunk in I have a few questions on what I should do. I am at the start of a gap year, I am taking a year out to work and finding a job is looking good at the moment.
    I was a third year A level student, my 1st year of A level was a bit of a mess. Basically my parents forced me to go to 6th form instead of the college I wanted to go to. I got some AS's from it though, Geog C, Gen Stud E and ICT D. I then went to the college I wanted to go to, it was well worth it but I felt like I wasn’t learning properly; I did psychology (B) and human bio (E).
    One of my teachers suggested that I may have dyslexia at the start of my 3rd year, so I decided to go and have a test. This was confirmed by the psychologist. I started trying different techniques of working and they paid off. I got my results back and they were as follows: GGA4 87(90), GGA5 90(90), PYA4 76 (90) PYA5 118 (120), BUS2 81 (90) and BUS3 120 (120). This means that overall I have A level Geog (B) and Psychology (A) and AS Business (A).
    I did far better in my A2 year then in my AS years, I feel that it's kind of unfair that no one found out about my learning disorder before then, but hey that's life. I am just wondering how and if I explain this to uni's? I want to do Human geog at uni, I’ve looked at all the uni's and I meet all of their requirements with my A levels but still don't have my Maths GCSE (retaking this year). Is there any point in me applying to uni's like Reading and LSE with my A level past? I think that they may frown on how things went for me, taking three years and so on. I am going to be 20 by the time I even start uni lol, don't think they are gonna be lovin that. Should i apply to uni's with a slightly lower entry requirement? I don't wanna end up being rejected from all of them. Your opinions on what to do next would be appreciated.

Thanks
    The age you start uni honestly has no effect on the admissions tutors - in fact being 20 will almost certainly act in your favour! Definitely DEFINITELY apply - and ring up and speak to the admissions tutors. They will probably be so impressed that you overcame your disadvantage so impressively (well done, by the way!)

They won't "frown" on you taking 3 years - it shows you are conscientious and are committed to what you want to do, even in adverse conditions. Get on the phone and go for it! good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    The age you start uni honestly has no effect on the admissions tutors - in fact being 20 will almost certainly act in your favour! Definitely DEFINITELY apply - and ring up and speak to the admissions tutors. They will probably be so impressed that you overcame your disadvantage so impressively (well done, by the way!)

They won't "frown" on you taking 3 years - it shows you are conscientious and are committed to what you want to do, even in adverse conditions. Get on the phone and go for it! good luck!
    awwwww thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Just an update I have picked my uni's that I am applying to. I would like your views on weather it’s a good idea or if I am setting the bar too high with the unis. I have emailed admissions tutors at all the uni’s and got replies, they have all been supportive of my application and said that my circumstances will be taken into account.

I have 310 points =ABB at A level. All my GCSE were at C or above with the exception of Maths which I am retaking (which i should get, fingers crossed)

Reading 300 points
    Leicester BBC (back up)
    Lancaster BBC (back up)
    Sheffield BBB (Fav)
    Portsmouth CCC (back up)
    Bristol AAB

Thanks

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.