Catfishing has ruined my life Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I started catfishing when I was 16 (I'm 22 now) because girls on Tagged would judge me by looking at my photos not how I come across as person.
They'd often ignore my friend request and messages so I decided to use one of my former mates photos (who's a year below me at the school) he was quite tall, toned body, mousy brown long hair, light brown eyes, long jawline, chiselled cheeks, exoctic features. What we both had in common is that we both got special needs, he has ADHD and I'm autistic.

At first I was enjoying the catfishing because I had so many friend requests, likes on my post, photo comments and messages flooded every single day for 3 years on/off that I was on there. I was also loved by my personality as well as my looks. There are a good number of girls I've had deep in depth conversations with and we caught feelings for each other but the problem was they didn't realise I was catfish so the more I was pretending to be someone else it got harder especially when the years go by.

Bach in 2011 catfishing was easier to get away with since I've confidently told them I have no webcam but when 2012 arrived there was iMessages, FaceTime, in 2013 there's show about catfishing, Instagram, WhatsApp, Snapchat so I had to keep myself more low key like setting my profile private, block anyone who'd could potentially expose me etc.

In 2014 I decided to stop for good since it keeps stressful each year, the people I knew on the site were getting older as well. I realise being a catfish which I was very good at all these made a horrible impact on my mental health. Back in 2011 I really enjoyed it and the attention I got from people every single day but at the end there was price to pay for it. I stared using my own photos again on other sites but unfortunately I still get my friend requests declined, messages ignored. No matter how down to earth my personality is they wouldn't want to know you if don't find you physically attracted. That's the reason why I catfished, I was getting bullied at school, found it hard to talk to people in person so I had no choice.
Empirical
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I started catfishing when I was 16 (I'm 22 now) because girls on Tagged would judge me by looking at my photos not how I come across as person.
They'd often ignore my friend request and messages so I decided to use one of my former mates photos (who's a year below me at the school) he was quite tall, toned body, mousy brown long hair, light brown eyes, long jawline, chiselled cheeks, exoctic features. What we both had in common is that we both got special needs, he has ADHD and I'm autistic.

At first I was enjoying the catfishing because I had so many friend requests, likes on my post, photo comments and messages flooded every single day for 3 years on/off that I was on there. I was also loved by my personality as well as my looks. There are a good number of girls I've had deep in depth conversations with and we caught feelings for each other but the problem was they didn't realise I was catfish so the more I was pretending to be someone else it got harder especially when the years go by.

Bach in 2011 catfishing was easier to get away with since I've confidently told them I have no webcam but when 2012 arrived there was iMessages, FaceTime, in 2013 there's show about catfishing, Instagram, WhatsApp, Snapchat so I had to keep myself more low key like setting my profile private, block anyone who'd could potentially expose me etc.

In 2014 I decided to stop for good since it keeps stressful each year, the people I knew on the site were getting older as well. I realise being a catfish which I was very good at all these made a horrible impact on my mental health like self-loathing, suicide thoughts etc. Back in 2011 I really enjoyed it and the attention I got from people every single day but at the end there was price to pay for it. I stared using my own photos again on other sites but unfortunately I still get my friend requests declined, messages ignored. No matter how down to earth my personality is they wouldn't want to know you if don't find you physically attracted. That's the reason why I catfished, I was getting bullied at school, found it hard to talk to people in person so I had no choice.
Many people these days live in this very strange reality which is a mix between the cyber and electronic world and other people's perceptions of them like Facebook. Forget it, it's not real.

Posted from TSR Mobile
x_716
Badges: 9
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

In 2014 I decided to stop for good since it keeps stressful each year, the people I knew on the site were getting older as well. I realise being a catfish which I was very good at all these made a horrible impact on my mental health. Back in 2011 I really enjoyed it and the attention I got from people every single day but at the end there was price to pay for it. I stared using my own photos again on other sites but unfortunately I still get my friend requests declined, messages ignored. No matter how down to earth my personality is they wouldn't want to know you if don't find you physically attracted. That's the reason why I catfished, I was getting bullied at school, found it hard to talk to people in person so I had no choice.
I know this thread is old, but where are you now? Were you able to stop catfishing, or did you eventually go back to it?

I can understand the reasons behind why someone would choose to use another person's picture to speak to others. We live in a society where only looks matter. Having an amazing personality and a good heart doesn't hold much weight if you are not aesthetically appealing to others. The funny thing is, people will say they are not superficial/do not care much for looks, but doubt the people you catfished would have befriended you had it not been for the photos.

Either way, not everybody out there is bad. I think you will find someone who genuinely appreciates and accepts you, when it is meant to happen. We all make mistakes. Learn to love yourself and become the person that makes you happy to be. Looks fade anyway.
IH8Studying
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
well honestly i’m really proud of you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed