The Student Room Group

Oxford Cambridge Cost Difference :(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by gavinlowe
Oxford fee rises are capped at the maximum of 4% or the rise in retail price index <http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/changes-fees-and-charges>. Taking the figure as 4% (RPI has been less than 4% for ages), and OP's calculation of £30K fees for the first year, the subsequent years' fees would be £31,200 and £32,448 -- so still a lot less than OP's estimate for Cambridge fees.

Gavin

Although OP was using Oct 2018 for Cambridge - but yes Oxford looks to be in the bargain basement of the two choices :tongue:

Also accomodation is 1) not guaranteed for all years, and 2) I have a feeling it is generally a bit pricier at Oxford versus Cambridge?
Original post by Doonesbury
According to the pdf posted earlier it does vary by college... although most seem to be fixed for the duration of the course.

Can't be bothered to check all colleges but hope 'many' (with fixed charges) means 'most'.
............ though it might depend on how those with fixed charges factor in possible inflation changes over 3/4 years to calculate the fixed charges.
Although OP was using Oct 2018 for Cambridge - but yes Oxford looks to be in the bargain basement of the two choices :tongue:

Also accomodation is 1) not guaranteed for all years, and 2) I have a feeling it is generally a bit pricier at Oxford versus Cambridge?

I know a few students at Oxford who were privately renting in recent years, and I was quite surprised how not-that-expensive private accommodation for students are in Oxford. Surely it's a bit more expensive than living in colllge accommodation at Cambridge, partly because you're on a yearly contract. But I have an impression private accommodation in general is more expensive in Cambridge than Oxford (at least for the type of accommodation for students) perhaps because Oxford has a far bigger market (with more choices/availability) for it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hmm, I thought I saw something recently that said college fees are now fixed, hence the big rises by some colleges recently. Could have been mistaken though....

Original post by vincrows
I remember that, too. Perhaps ex-CAT/current-MEAT?
I know many internationals used to get a shock every year with annual increase of college charges , so I remember clearly I thought it's a really good idea. Probably I posted the comment, too.

Edit
or could it be international tuition fees that's newly fixed?
Or was it always fixed but not college charges??? Can't remember now......:tongue:

I'm not sure whether international tuition fees have always been capped but they are now. Read the small print!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending