Trying and sell before MOT or scrap it?

Watch
mcgreevy1993
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've had my Nissan micra 2000 for just over 2 years. It's got 123,000 miles on the clock and sadly, it's failing it's MOT at the end of September.

The rust has taken over the car, and the garage warned me I'd need a welding job or it'll fail, I got a quote on it - but then found more rust issues. It's an old car and I battered it during my first year of driving and shot up the mileage whilst taking it on a road trip through Europe. The repairs would cost more than the car would to sell.

So I'm looking at getting a new car in the next month or so, as I need one to get to work. But how do I go about selling mine? Do I have to state the condition of the car to a buyer? Or put it as spares and repairs on auto trader? Ect.

I think scraping value is only about £30 but if it still has an MOT during time of sale is it classed as scrap?
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think webuyanycar will buy it with a month's MOT left. You won't get much, but it's probably the easiest way to get rid of it (especially if they don't spot the rust!)
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mcgreevy1993)
I've had my Nissan micra 2000 for just over 2 years. It's got 123,000 miles on the clock and sadly, it's failing it's MOT at the end of September.

The rust has taken over the car, and the garage warned me I'd need a welding job or it'll fail, I got a quote on it - but then found more rust issues. It's an old car and I battered it during my first year of driving and shot up the mileage whilst taking it on a road trip through Europe. The repairs would cost more than the car would to sell.

So I'm looking at getting a new car in the next month or so, as I need one to get to work. But how do I go about selling mine? Do I have to state the condition of the car to a buyer? Or put it as spares and repairs on auto trader? Ect.

I think scraping value is only about £30 but if it still has an MOT during time of sale is it classed as scrap?
Just scrap it. Your local scrapyard will probably give you £50 or so for it, particularly if you can get it to them rather than have to have it recovered. Best to get it where it needs to go before the MOT expires.
mcgreevy1993
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Just scrap it. Your local scrapyard will probably give you £50 or so for it, particularly if you can get it to them rather than have to have it recovered. Best to get it where it needs to go before the MOT expires.
Is there no use in selling it privately as spares as no some people like to buy them to rally them?

It's such a shame! I've had it serviced 3 times in past 2 years so bar the exterior damage and rust it's in good shape mechanically. Got some nice alloys on I think too.

Also got fresh new tyres, break pads, fan belt which I changed for my road trip which was only 2 months ago. They've only do around 6,000 miles

I know I need to get it off road before MOT but I'm assuming because of the age of the car none of the mechanics really matter but this point do they?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mcgreevy1993)
Is there no use in selling it privately as spares as no some people like to buy them to rally them?

It's such a shame! I've had it serviced 3 times in past 2 years so bar the exterior damage and rust it's in good shape mechanically. Got some nice alloys on I think too.

Also got fresh new tyres, break pads, fan belt which I changed for my road trip which was only 2 months ago. They've only do around 6,000 miles

I know I need to get it off road before MOT but I'm assuming because of the age of the car none of the mechanics really matter but this point do they?
Oh I know - god I know this feeling. We had a Peugeot 206 a long time ago which turned out to be an absolute money pit. Every time it needed 'about £250' of work doing to it to keep it running - not expensive enough to scrap it, but expensive enough to add up over time. We had to have a new clutch less than 2 months before its MOT, when we were told it would be £1400 to get it through - we just had to bit the bullet and scrap it - essentially cut our losses (we estimate we spent about £3,500 overall to keep the car on the road over a period of 4 years). This is how old cars work, I'm afraid.

The mechanics of the car have no bearing on the scrap value, which is essentially the metal value of the car. It can, like our old 206, have essentially a rebuilt engine and still be worthless. I don't recommend you attempt to keep it off-road and strip it for parts. You'll get very little for them (even though they've done very little mileage, they're still essentially 'second-hand' and are worth little on the secondary market because new after-market parts for common cars are quite cheap) and you're then stuck with a car in bits that won't drive and which you have to pay to be scrapped (because you'd have to pay for the collection, and breakers don't usually give you money for a non-complete car).

You could try selling it on eBay 'for parts', or 'breaking', but again don't expect a huge success. As I say, I'd be inclined to just cut my losses, see if I can get £50 or so for scrap and quietly fume about it.
h4mza
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Flog it on eBay or gumtree for £2-300, some Asian chap might buy it as a delivery car.
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by h4mza)
Flog it on eBay or gumtree for £2-300, some Asian chap might buy it as a delivery car.
If the car is unroadworthy then it's not very viable to sell it, as the repairs will cost more than the book price of the car.

P.s. Was there any need for the racial discrimination?...
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Oh I know - god I know this feeling. We had a Peugeot 206 a long time ago which turned out to be an absolute money pit. Every time it needed 'about £250' of work doing to it to keep it running - not expensive enough to scrap it, but expensive enough to add up over time. We had to have a new clutch less than 2 months before its MOT, when we were told it would be £1400 to get it through - we just had to bit the bullet and scrap it - essentially cut our losses (we estimate we spent about £3,500 overall to keep the car on the road over a period of 4 years). This is how old cars work, I'm afraid.

The mechanics of the car have no bearing on the scrap value, which is essentially the metal value of the car. It can, like our old 206, have essentially a rebuilt engine and still be worthless. I don't recommend you attempt to keep it off-road and strip it for parts. You'll get very little for them (even though they've done very little mileage, they're still essentially 'second-hand' and are worth little on the secondary market because new after-market parts for common cars are quite cheap) and you're then stuck with a car in bits that won't drive and which you have to pay to be scrapped (because you'd have to pay for the collection, and breakers don't usually give you money for a non-complete car).

You could try selling it on eBay 'for parts', or 'breaking', but again don't expect a huge success. As I say, I'd be inclined to just cut my losses, see if I can get £50 or so for scrap and quietly fume about it.
I agree.
Id either scrap it or sell it to we buy any car if they will have it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (10)
20.83%
I'm not sure (2)
4.17%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (13)
27.08%
I have already dropped out (2)
4.17%
I'm not a current university student (21)
43.75%

Watched Threads