Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Fate watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Are you as fatalist, or do you believe we control our own lives? Feeling random, sorry

ReputationRep:
    I just put down a book that was discussing this. Freaky...

ReputationRep:
    Fate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)

Stop reading books :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I'm watching you Sounds interesting. Which book?

ReputationRep:
    I am the master of my own destiny, is my firm belief. Things beyond our control can get in the way but I always think of them as pointing the way to the path I should make myself take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 411?)
    Stop reading books :mad:
    I want to get into uni though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    I'm watching you Sounds interesting. Which book?
    A Brief History of Time. I'm surprised that the idea came up... it's quite depressing, actually

ReputationRep:
    i believe in fate- i wasn't sposed to go to uni this year, for some reason or other

ReputationRep:
    I want to get into uni though

Alright, but once you get to uni you are no longer allowed to read books

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in fate.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 411?)
    Alright, but once you get to uni you are no longer allowed to read books
    Fine by me

ReputationRep:
    A Brief History of Time. I'm surprised that the idea came up... it's quite depressing, actually
    I fancy reading that, but I think it might go over my head, me knowing nothing about physics!

ReputationRep:
    lol...both a friend and i were disucssing this over msn, earlier!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    lol...both a friend and i were disucssing this over msn, earlier!
    I really am watching you all. Mwahahaha.

ReputationRep:
    Hate to be the only indecisive one, but I really think both fate and personal control have some part to play in the outcomes of certain events. We're in control of the actions we take, but not the consequences of those actions, If we want to change the consequences, we have to change our actions.

But then again, you can't just blindly leave things to fate. An argument like 'I'm destined to pass my driving test so i'm not even going to try' or 'Fate has ensured I'm going to get A's at A-Level, so why bother revising?' are obviously ridiculous.

Oh well. That was my little philosophical pondering for today.

ReputationRep:
    bit of both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    I fancy reading that, but I think it might go over my head, me knowing nothing about physics!
    You don't need to apparently, but I've only read the first chapter so far so I can't really tell. I'm sure that Stephen Hawking wouldn't lie in his acknowledgments, though .

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to apparently, but I've only read the first chapter so far so I can't really tell. I'm sure that Stephen Hawking wouldn't line in his acknowledgments, though .
    Ah ok, I might give it a look then! If I don't get it, I'll ask physic bods to explain

ReputationRep:
    Fate exists whether religion exists or not as you can get run over, you die at a certain age or you'll meet that certain person and none of these will be in your control. Whether things like these are "planned" is debatable.

We all make choices which I'd like to think these were our own, however again these could be part of our "plan". If relgion doesn't exist, then life really is what we make it.

Although of course religon may not indicate the existance of fate.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.