Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    everything happens for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    Hate to be the only indecisive one, but I really think both fate and personal control have some part to play in the outcomes fo certain events. We're in control of the actions we take, but not the consequences of those actions, If we want to change the consequences, we have to change our actions.

But then again, you can't just blindly leave things to fate. An argument like 'I'm destined to pass my driving test so i'm not evenn going to try' or 'Fate has ensured I'm going to get A's at A-Levle, so why bother revising?' are obviously ridiculous.

Oh well. That was my little philosophical pondering for today.
    Can't argue with that. If you read The Alchmeist, it all becomes quite clear..if you believe, that is. At the end of the day, we're all given choices and we can actively decide which way to go..but not what comes of it. It's a do and take action.

In the book, there's a shepherd in search of a treasure he's been predicted. All throughout, he faces obstacles and challenges and questions himself as to whether he should continue his quest and see what happens or give up and go back to his comfortable lifestyle. What results is part what he decides and part fate/destiny.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe we are slaves to our own personality...or at least for the short-term. People we meet can have long lasting effects on us and our personalities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    Hate to be the only indecisive one, but I really think both fate and personal control have some part to play in the outcomes fo certain events. We're in control of the actions we take, but not the consequences of those actions, If we want to change the consequences, we have to change our actions.

But then again, you can't just blindly leave things to fate. An argument like 'I'm destined to pass my driving test so i'm not evenn going to try' or 'Fate has ensured I'm going to get A's at A-Levle, so why bother revising?' are obviously ridiculous.

Oh well. That was my little philosophical pondering for today.
    Couldn't even say it better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IHavePMS)
    Can't argue with that. If you read The Alchmeist, it all becomes quite clear..if you believe, that is. At the end of the day, we're all given choices and we can actively decide which way to go..but not what comes of it. It's a do and take action.

In the book, there's a shepherd in search of a treasure he's been predicted. All throughout, he faces obstacles and challenges and questions himself as to whether he should continue his quest and see what happens or give up and go back to his comfortable lifestyle. What results is part what he decides and part fate/destiny.
    Surely any action you take will always be as a consequence of something else though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Surely any action you take will always be as a consequence of something else though?
    It's a vicious circle, because that, again, would have been influenced by a decision you made. Chicken v egg.

ReputationRep:
    It's a vicious circle, because that, again, would have been influenced by a decision you made. Chicken v egg.
    Wow, what a head f*ck. My brain hurts!!

ReputationRep:
    That's my point, so surely he's only making an argument for fate rather than some weird fate/free choice hybrid.

ReputationRep:
    but the egg came first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    but the egg came first.
    Actually...

ReputationRep:
    Actually...
    lol dont even think about it

ReputationRep:
    That's my point, so surely you're only making an argument for fate rather than some weird fate/free choice hybrid.
    When it's not practical, or possible in this case, to decide which to go for...fate or free will...the middle ground is always the safe way to perceive it. Look at it from a particular point in time instead of eternity...today, you have an offer to go to uni or to take a year out and reapply to a BETTER uni...what you go for is your decision but who knows, you may not be accepted after your year out or you may have had better job prospects had you achieved a degree from the better uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Are you as fatalist, or do you believe we control our own lives? Feeling random, sorry
    Sometimes i believe i control my future. However i often have deja vu, almost as if the events of my future have been pre-decided. There also seems to be a large number of strong coincedences in my life, as if my life is always leading to one determined outcome. Recently i have had less cases of my deja vu. Maybe I am straying from fate's "plan". Though if fate is anything like death in "Final Destination", my running is futile. I came into this post believing there was no such thing as fate, that i held the key to my future. But now i am in a state of confusion. Do we control the outcome of our future, or are we all part of a higher plan? I am not sure anymore.

ReputationRep:
    When it's not practical, or possible in this case, to decide which to go for...fate or free will...the middle ground is always the safe way to perceive it. Look at it from a particular point in time instead of eternity...today, you have an offer to go to uni or to take a year out and reapply to a BETTER uni...what you go for is your decision but who knows, you may not be accepted after your year out or you may have had better job prospects had you achieved a degree from the better uni.
    yeah but what if there's no such thing as free will? And we're doing what was planned for us, even if we think we can change our minds?

ReputationRep:
    But this particular middle ground argument is in fact a fate argument. In the situation you've just given, you have the decision of course, but what decision you make will be as a consequence of many other things, so along the lines of that argument, there's only one choice you can possibly make, because the argument is that consequences are predetermined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    yeah but what if there's no such thing as free will? And we're doing what was planned for us, even if we think we can change our minds?
    That accuses our minds of being controlled too then; powerless. It's a matter of belief I guess.

ReputationRep:
    but what decision you make will be as a consequence of many other things
    And those are results of other choices you made; it's circular. We could go on forever :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Ah...this got debate was the main thing that counted against me in the Oxford interview last year.It's a really good argument,just probably not best suited for an English interview.

Anyway,I don't believe in fate in terms of providence or some divine/transcendental figure.I don't believe in free will either.I am a massive determinist.(Huge in fact.*This big*).So,the belief that every action you make is dependent on information or experience interpreted from an external source in a past time is kinda my thing.

I think I've only ever really tried to argue against it a few times.It gets caught up in pretentious definitions of the term free-will and what you're actually referring to.Because saying you don't have free will because the actions you make are dependent on past external stimuli is kinda pointless if you define the self as the composition of external stimuli.Or something.

ReputationRep:
    Totally belive in fate, i wasnt meant to go to durham, was meant to go to exeter.

the choices we make are the choices that lead us to our destiny, and were never actually faced with a desision that can go wrong. what ever you decide is what is meant to be.

leekey, if your reading this, if you feel that you cant go to edingberg, your not meant to. take which ever option feels most right for you and you will have the time of your life.

love Katy***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    Totally belive in fate, i wasnt meant to go to durham, was meant to go to exeter.

the choices we make are the choices that lead us to our destiny, and were never actually faced with a desision that can go wrong. what ever you decide is what is meant to be.

leekey, if your reading this, if you feel that you cant go to edingberg, your not meant to. take which ever option feels most right for you and you will have the time of your life.

love Katy***
    Assuming you missed you offers due to insuffiently high grades, what if you'd revised harder? Or if you didnt get an offer at all what if you had perforemd better at interview

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.