Turn on thread page Beta

Fate watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    They're just idle 'what ifs'.If you went back to the same situation without any knowledge of the outcome then you'd make the exact same decision as before.It's pointless saying 'if I had revised a bit harder' because,whilst it may be true, there was only ever one thing you were going to do at that time and that's what you did.'What ifs' are just the regrets you have looking back on things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    Assuming you missed you offers due to insuffiently high grades, what if you'd revised harder? Or if you didnt get an offer at all what if you had perforemd better at interview
    i couldnt have revised any harder. i couldnt have worked any harder.
    and i didnt get an interview, dont know anyone who did.
    and the most important thing is since the day i passed my alevels i have never ever looked back and though "what if" or "i wish" or "if only" i am happy with my life, and its the way its meant to be.

i think all our descisions have already been made. at the end of the day, by the time i try a new top on, ive already unconsciously decided whether im going to buy it or not, im just trying to justify it to myself.

love Katy***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    the choices we make are the choices that lead us to our destiny, and were never actually faced with a desision that can go wrong. what ever you decide is what is meant to be.
    hmm...as true as that is, i think that attitude isn't healthy. it's always easy to take the alternative way out, e.g. not feeling like doing an exam and failing it would lead you to 'where you are meant to be'.

as the saying goes, [corny]those who achieve success are those who take a dream and make it come true[/corny]

ReputationRep:
    I'm a determinist. Not a fatalist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    hmm...as true as that is, i think that attitude isn't healthy. it's always easy to take the alternative way out, e.g. not feeling like doing an exam and failing it would lead you to 'where you are meant to be'.
    yeah, it'll lead you straight to the dole, which is where a lazy arsed git is meant to be.

as the saying goes, [corny]those who achieve success are those who take a dream and make it come true[/corny]
    but it depends on what your dream is, failure is something you can overcome on the way to getting your dream.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    but it depends on what your dream is, failure is something you can overcome on the way to getting your dream.

love Katy ***
    that's flawed if your dream is never to experience failure.

ReputationRep:
    that's flawed if your dream is never to experience failure.

but if thats your dream, you better kill yourself now and just make sod damn sure you dont fail on that one!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Surely knowing of something is enough to have an experience of it?

ReputationRep:
    but if thats your dream, you better kill yourself now and just make sod damn sure you dont fail on that one!

love Katy ***
    i hope your 'dream' is not to become a psychiatric counsellor *tops himself*. you can have an 'aim/dream' to pass every single exam you take (which is feasible), but would be void if you fail one exam so can not be overcome by further choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loki)
    Surely knowing of something is enough to have an experience of it?
    like 'life experience', for example? if you know of it, you must be alive, therefore be experiencing it.

ReputationRep:
    You know of life through living and thus have life experience?
    This is getting far too wordy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loki)
    You know of life through living and thus have life experience?
    This is getting far too wordy.
    if that's wordy, then don't read philosophy

ReputationRep:
    On holiday when I was little we lost our camera, and had to disrupt our plans for the rest of the day while we went to the police station to report it and retrace our steps to look for it etc. The next day we discovered that there had been a big fire at the place we had been planning to go to that afternoon! Probably just coincidence and not really fate but still sticks in my mind whenever the topic comes up for discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    On holiday when I was little we lost our camera, and had to disrupt our plans for the rest of the day while we went to the police station to report it and retrace our steps to look for it etc. The next day we discovered that there had been a big fire at the place we had been planning to go to that afternoon! Probably just coincidence and not really fate but still sticks in my mind whenever the topic comes up for discussion.
    i think the laws of probability cater for that, especially when you consider all the times the final outcome hasn't changed when you've had to adjust something.

ReputationRep:
    if that's wordy, then don't read philosophy
    Oh god yes.I've been put off being taught philosophy formally by a night-class in a local college.One of those subjects that you don't think someone can make boring but somehow they do.

ReputationRep:
    i think the laws of probability cater for that, especially when you consider all the times the final outcome hasn't changed when you've had to adjust something.
    Can't you just say "oh wow, you must have a guardian angel" or something instead? It seemed pretty cool to me at the time, although I was only 8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    Can't you just say "oh wow, you must have a guardian angel" or something instead?
    nah
    *remembers trap he set up to catch the "tooth-fairy" when 8 years old*

ReputationRep:
    yeah i agree ellie4 is the hottest girl on ukl, speaking as the hottest guy i suppose we should hook up... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yeah)
    yeah i agree ellie4 is the hottest girl on ukl, speaking as the hottest guy i suppose we should hook up... :cool:
    A rather random comment for the fate thread!!!

ReputationRep:
    hehe thats not a no ;D

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.