Mental health hospital

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My friend has been placed in a mental health hospital as a voluntary patient. I'm just wondering what will happen to her and what it is like being in one and what happens in there from your experience if you have any?
username2835262
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi there, sorry to hear that your friend is currently unwell.

From my experience, when in the hospital I was essentially left to my own devices on the ward for the day, though you are offered a number of sessions that you can attend throughout your stay which are focused on recovery and such, it's advised that you attend if they are suitable for you.

I personally didn't enjoy my stay, and I imagine that many people feel the same way. It is very helpful though, and was a positive experience for me, despite not enjoying it at all.

Since she is a voluntary patient, she is of course free to leave at any time, but if she has been admitted then it's obviously n her best interests to stay there for her own safety. There may be a ward review within the next week to examine her and assess her needs, where if she is no longer unsafe she will be able to return home.

Don't be too worried about her though, she is in safe hands and is definitely in the right place!

PM me or reply if you have any more questions.
Neopol
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hiya!

Being a voluntary patient is often a lot better than being a formal patient, since when you're a formal patient your rights are quite restricted (medication, leave, et cetera). Depending on the reason she's there and the staffing of the hospital, she may be checked up on every hour (the basic check that everyone gets), every 15 minutes, or have a staff member with her at all times (either within sight or arm's length). One-to-one observation isn't very common but if they're worried enough (and they have enough staff), they will.

Generally, it's a bit like a dorm with more rooms and locks. Most/all doors can be locked and unlocked from the inside and outside, and the doors tend to be double-hinged. There's family/visiting rooms, sometimes a patient kitchen, laundry facilities, dining room, leisure area, and so forth. Medication and meals are done at set times and you get your vitals checked every day, and height and weight done once a week.

Being in hospital really shows how underfunded and understaffed mental health services are at the moment. When I was admitted, every patient was meant to get at least 20 minutes of "talk time" with a staff member. Often, this didn't happen for days at a time, medication and meal times often got held up by a lack of staff, and sometimes staff had to be called from other wards in emergencies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.85%
I'm not sure (32)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.81%

Watched Threads