The Student Room Group

Columbia??

What would my chances be for Columbia law?
I'm in the UK, have just finished doing my AS levels for the second time ( I retook the year).

what do Columbia consider? Gcses? As grades? SATs?

when would I have to take SATs? How much would it be roughly? Would I get in?
Law degrees (also medical) are postgraduate degrees, not undergraduate. You need to have a bachelors degree in something else (an LLB from a British university would suffice).

Applying to be an undergraduate, Columbia would look at your grades through school and your SAT scores. They would probably weight GCSEs more heavily, but value the A-levels done (as A-level equivalents are not required to go on to university in the US, but can exempt you from certain first year courses).

You would probably need at least 1400 in the SATs and 700+ in your subject tests to be competitive, and more As than not at GCSE to apply for the undergraduate course (you do not apply to a specific degree program/major except usually engineering want an indication if you're going into that from the start, although I believe you can go into Fu from the College otherwise).

You would take need to take the SATs ASAP; I think one of the summer or early fall test dates would be the latest you could take it, to apply during your A2 year. I can't remember how much it cost, as it was ages ago I took it. There aren't many test centres in the UK so you may want to factor in travel costs. Also it begins EARLY in the morning, and is fairly long (not AS long as when I did since the writing section isn't part of the main one any more lol).
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending