your experience - boyfreind/girlfriend staying with you at your halls?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
could anyone share their experience on partner staying in your halls? how often? etc...
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
could anyone share their experience on partner staying in your halls? how often? etc...
Whilst I have no personal experience of someone staying over (ha...)

From the other point of view:

Expect to be pranked or have your door knocked on :lol:

Don't make it too frequent, certainly don't move in together into a single room..

Don't hang around eating in the kitchen... it's just really awkward.
Charlotte.e.R.
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Single rooms aren't ideal with someone staying over, but it's alright for a day or two every so often It's good to introduce your partner to your flatmates, rather than staying in your room all the time with them. If you're living somewhere with communal bathrooms/other areas just check in with everyone to make sure it's okay

I know some halls have rules regarding people staying in your room, so check that too!
Jackieox
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My boyfriend came to visit me when I was in halls and it was fine. The bed was a bit of a squeeze but we managed, we didn't really see much of my flatmates though, we all just stuck to ourselves a little bit =P
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As long as you're respectful to your flatmates then it shouldn't be a problem. By that I mean: don't have sex really loudly/constantly/late at night, make sure your boyfriend respects normal flatmate stuff like not stealing food, don't let your boyfriend take showers or cook the two of you complicated meals when it's peak time so he's not in anyone's way. Most flatmates will want you both to be friendly and get involved together so don't hide away in your room all the time (and no PDA in front of everyone).

Some unis have rules on length of visits but in reality no one cares until your flatmates complain.
SHUGURU
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
All of the above replies are very true - all you need to do is be respectful towards your flatmates if you have a smaller kitchen or thin walls or share a bathroom. Make sure your partner is respectful towards your flat by not making a mess or being too loud - just being a general decent guest - it will be fine! And ask your flatmates before to make sure they're okay with it, but there's no real reason they wouldn't be.

My partner came to stay with me quite a lot in first year, as did some of my other flatmates' partners and it was never ever a problem. As most of us were quite close, we all just made friends with each others' partners as we all introduced them to each other straight away, and we're still all friends! On more than a few occasions my flatmate's girlfriend and I have met up separately as she's just really lovely and we got on really well. However, if you do stay to yourselves the whole time, you might feel like you become more distant to your flatmates. Obviously you want your alone time, but don't worry about hiding away if you do want to be close with your flatmates.

In first year everyone is meeting so many new people there's no reason why your partner can't be one of them, if they want to be. They've just got to meet all your flatmates the same way that you did and act just as friendly and willing to meet new people! It really shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (669)
33.6%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (846)
42.49%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.57%

Watched Threads