jlozanox
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello guys, Exam is about a week away and I dont know anything about African Americans. PLEASE someone condense information such as key themes (individuals, turning points, presidential impact, federal and supreme court, unity of movement, anti-civil rights movement etc.) PLEASE
stephenlewis09
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jlozanox)
Hello guys, Exam is about a week away and I dont know anything about African Americans. PLEASE someone condense information such as key themes (individuals, turning points, presidential impact, federal and supreme court, unity of movement, anti-civil rights movement etc.) PLEASE
Hi

I have a revision guide on AA's which describes everything you're talking about, and condenses it very well. if you PM me your email I can get it to you ASAP. Without going into detail:

Individuals: Booker T Washington, Ida B. Wells, W.E.B Du Bois, MLK, Malcom X, Phillip Randolph, Marcus Garvey, Thurgood Marshall

Turning Points: The two world wars (discuss separately), 1960s, New Deal, The Reconstruction Era, creation of the NAACP

Presidential Impact: Andrew Johnson=Bad, Hoover= did nothing good FDR=Good,Eisenhower=Good JFK=Good, LBJ=Good, Nixon= Nothing good, Ford+Carter= Nothing good, Reagan=bad, Bush sr= Not enough time

Federal and Supreme Court: Bad in the 1880's (Plessy vs Fergurson and 'Black Codes'/Jim Crow Laws), improving but not great in the 1920's/1930's, good 1940's/1950's (Brown vs Board of Education) very very good in 1960's (Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act etc), tails off towards the end of the period.

Hope this helps, and I hope that the revision guide will be useful should you PM me!
pamplemousse.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Created a dates sheet for them all but I'm rubbish at why things are more important than seemingly unrelated things
stephenlewis09
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by pamplemousse.)
Created a dates sheet for them all but I'm rubbish at why things are more important than seemingly unrelated things
If you're answering a question on AA's and women, you could look at political turning points, social turning points, and economic turning points. For example, with women, the New Deal and Prohibition could be important for different reasons. The New Deal gave women economic benefits (albeit biased towards men) whilst Prohibition showed what women could achieve when united against a common goal.

Does that make sense? I hope it helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (576)
34.43%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (688)
41.12%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (334)
19.96%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.48%

Watched Threads