The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

International applicants 2017

:ciao: Hi everyone! Welcome to our thread for international applicants 2017! We're here to answer any and all questions you have about coming to study at UofG! :u:

While you're here, here are some links you may find useful...

Your journey to the UK starts here!

International Student Handbook

Living in the UK

How to apply for a student visa

Accommodation

:question: And some frequently asked questions at the moment ...:question:

When will I receive my CAS information? :curious:

CAS are only valid for six months and can only be used from three months before the start of your programme, so we will always issue your CAS in enough time for you to get your Visa. If you accept an unconditional offer more than three months before the start of your programme then you will likely receive an email detailing your CAS information around three months before the start of the programme. If you accept an unconditional offer within three months of the start of your programme, we will issue you a CAS within seven working days of your unconditional offer being accepted.

I am coming to Glasgow from overseas, can I be met at the airport? :hello:

Yes! If you are arriving for the start of your course in September, we have a Welcome Programme specifically for international students which includes airport pickup for those staying in university accommodation. Keep an eye out for our friendly staff in yellow t-shirts at Glasgow airport :banana:

How can I find a part-time job in Glasgow?

UofG has a great Careers service who can help you with writing CVs, interviews and job applications when you arrive.

Do you want to know who is coming from your country? Would you like to chat to people on your course? Please feel free to use this forum to make new friends for the first semester! :dancing2:
(edited 6 years ago)
Is the welcome programme available on a Sunday? I'm arriving on September 3rd. Already got my ticket!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by psuspark
Is the welcome programme available on a Sunday? I'm arriving on September 3rd. Already got my ticket!

Hi psuspark!

The activities kick off on 5th September, but our welcome teams will be at Glasgow airport on 3rd September to help you find your way to your accommodation. There will also be a welcome desk on campus where you can ask any questions you may have. Check out this link and sign up for the orientation programme: http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_530720_en.pdf

See you in Glasgow!
Reply 3
Hi, Im currently enrolled in a Navitas Pathway in UK and want to switch to University of Glasgow for my 2nd year. What are the possibilities of this happening? I don't mind repeating a year :/ My situation is very complex and is there anyway I can have a chat or talk with someone?
Regards
Original post by Afnan_S_K
Hi, Im currently enrolled in a Navitas Pathway in UK and want to switch to University of Glasgow for my 2nd year. What are the possibilities of this happening? I don't mind repeating a year :/ My situation is very complex and is there anyway I can have a chat or talk with someone?
Regards

Hi Afnan! We can help you with this. Please send an email to [email protected] :smile:
Hello,

**I apologize in advance for all the questions! :s-smilie:

I'll be enrolling in the Human Rights & International Politics program this fall, and I have a question about orientation. My mother plans on travelling with me the first few days to help me get settled into my accommodation (student accommodation, but not university-owned) and explore Glasgow as neither of us have ever been to Scotland. Would we still be able to utilize the airport service being offered for international students? We have no clue where anything is except that my accommodation is close to MaClay Residences. Does the service only go to the dorms or does it also offer transportation to the university? Also, how long is international orientation on the 5th, and are parents allowed to attend? Or are there sessions that parents can attend to learn about the university?

Thank you!
(edited 6 years ago)
(I've already posted this on the glasgow accommodation thread, sorry if that's considered as spamming :/)

Hello,

I am an EU student and I am planning to arrive in Glasgow on September 6th or 7th in order to open a bank account, see if I can find a car insurance, and other small things that won't get in the way afterwards. However I've read that in order to open a bank account, I need a proof of address, but when will I get it ? Is it sent by mail in August, or is it given when we arrive in the residence on the 8th (I'm in Murano) ? If so, is there a way to fetch it a day earlier (7th), even though I'm settling on the 8th, since I would really like to open the account while my father is still with me ?

Thanks a lot !
Original post by Bellamione
(I've already posted this on the glasgow accommodation thread, sorry if that's considered as spamming :/)

Hello,

I am an EU student and I am planning to arrive in Glasgow on September 6th or 7th in order to open a bank account, see if I can find a car insurance, and other small things that won't get in the way afterwards. However I've read that in order to open a bank account, I need a proof of address, but when will I get it ? Is it sent by mail in August, or is it given when we arrive in the residence on the 8th (I'm in Murano) ? If so, is there a way to fetch it a day earlier (7th), even though I'm settling on the 8th, since I would really like to open the account while my father is still with me ?

Thanks a lot !

Hi,
I'll be living in murano too. It is rather surprising that they haven't assigned rooms yet. I think it's best if you ring up the residency and ask them.
Original post by Jam Jam24
Hi,
I'll be living in murano too. It is rather surprising that they haven't assigned rooms yet. I think it's best if you ring up the residency and ask them.

Oh, so you haven't had your room assigned yet either ? Thanks for the advice, I've sent an email to the Murano staff. Hope they'll read it quite quickly :tongue:
Oh, so you haven't had your room assigned yet either ? Thanks for the advice, I've sent an email to the Murano staff. Hope they'll read it quite quickly :tongue:

They are probably waiting till after results day and then assigning them cos atm only a few of us have unconditionals! Ah hope you get it sorted quickly :smile:
Original post by Jam Jam24
They are probably waiting till after results day and then assigning them cos atm only a few of us have unconditionals! Ah hope you get it sorted quickly :smile:

I didn't get the answer I was hoping for, but it was helpful anyway (and extremely quick) ! :tongue: They told me they couldn't tell us which room we were in before the arrival date because it would take all summer to assign them, so there's no need to wait for an email that won't arrive x) The address will be on an envelope that we get when we check in. But they still gave me some tips that will be very useful when I arrive, so your advice has served me well, so once again a huge thank you !
I didn't get the answer I was hoping for, but it was helpful anyway (and extremely quick) ! :tongue: They told me they couldn't tell us which room we were in before the arrival date because it would take all summer to assign them, so there's no need to wait for an email that won't arrive x) The address will be on an envelope that we get when we check in. But they still gave me some tips that will be very useful when I arrive, so your advice has served me well, so once again a huge thank you !

Thanks for letting me know. Ah that's annoying, my previous uni sorted out the rooms in July for unconditionals. That means you'll have to get everything sorted on the 8th then 😏
Original post by Texans4Glasgow
Hello,

**I apologize in advance for all the questions! :s-smilie:

I'll be enrolling in the Human Rights & International Politics program this fall, and I have a question about orientation. My mother plans on travelling with me the first few days to help me get settled into my accommodation (student accommodation, but not university-owned) and explore Glasgow as neither of us have ever been to Scotland. Would we still be able to utilize the airport service being offered for international students? We have no clue where anything is except that my accommodation is close to MaClay Residences. Does the service only go to the dorms or does it also offer transportation to the university? Also, how long is international orientation on the 5th, and are parents allowed to attend? Or are there sessions that parents can attend to learn about the university?

Thank you!

Hi Texans4Glasgow :smile:

We hope you are excited about coming to Glasgow soon!
The airport pick up is for students staying in university accommodation only, however, the helpers in the yellow hoodies at the airport will be able to help you with transport to your private accommodation. Just look out for them and ask! :banana:
The international orientation programme is over 2 weeks and there are loads of things happening which you can get involved in! Here is the full programme. Some of the information sessions your mum could attend too!

Hope this helps :u:

Claire
UofG
Reply 13
I am an international student staying in uofg student accommodation, and I'm trying to figure out when is the best date to arrive. The Welcome Programme starts from the 3rd, but can we move into accommodation before the 8th? I applied for Murano Street in March so I'm really hoping I get it! Also any tips on trying to find a part-time job? Thank you!
Hi, I am a Sri Lankan citizen with permanent residency in Saudi Arabia, and I'm having some problems with my Visa process. I contacted a uni representative here in Saudi, and was told that I could only apply for visa on the 10th of September due to public holidays, and the earliest I would get the Visa would be by the 23rd. Would it be a problem if I were to arrive on around the 25th?
Also on the university website, it's mentioned that we can pay our annual fees in installments, but the representative is saying I need to pay all my fees before I can get my Visa. I'm trying to call the contact given in the email I got after my offer was confirmed but they aren't answering.
Original post by Kimf933
I am an international student staying in uofg student accommodation, and I'm trying to figure out when is the best date to arrive. The Welcome Programme starts from the 3rd, but can we move into accommodation before the 8th? I applied for Murano Street in March so I'm really hoping I get it! Also any tips on trying to find a part-time job? Thank you!

Hi Kimf!

We hope you are excited about coming to Glasgow :u:

Our recommendation would be to arrive for the full orientation programme - you could contact Accommodation Services to see if you could get your room early (for an additional fee) or stay in a nearby hostel/B&B for a few nights. Otherwise, you can arrive when your accommodation is available and you will still be able to enjoy most of the welcome events.

Our Careers Service can help you when you are here to find a part-time job. Check out their website and pop in to see them when you arrive!

Safe travels to Glasgow, we look forward to seeing you soon :h:

-Claire
International Recruitment Coordinator
Original post by ineedhalp17
Hi, I am a Sri Lankan citizen with permanent residency in Saudi Arabia, and I'm having some problems with my Visa process. I contacted a uni representative here in Saudi, and was told that I could only apply for visa on the 10th of September due to public holidays, and the earliest I would get the Visa would be by the 23rd. Would it be a problem if I were to arrive on around the 25th?
Also on the university website, it's mentioned that we can pay our annual fees in installments, but the representative is saying I need to pay all my fees before I can get my Visa. I'm trying to call the contact given in the email I got after my offer was confirmed but they aren't answering.

Hi :ciao:

I'm sorry you are having some trouble with your visa application - our International Student Support Team will be able to help you with this (they are experts :clap2:) so please contact them.

You will be able to pay your course in installments, however, you will have to pay your deposit and be able to demonstrate that you have enough funds in your personal bank account to cover your fees and living costs. ISS team will also be able to guide you on this.

We recommend students to come for welcome programmes, however, as long as you arrive for the start of your course that will be OK :banana:

We look forward to welcoming you to Glasgow soon!

-Claire
Hi there. My name is Shamama and i will be applying to the curatorial practice graduate program at Glasgow school of arts. I am from Pakistan and i was wondering if there is anyone here from Pakistan as well who is already enrolled in the program and i can possibly get in touch with to get further information?Thanks! :smile:
Original post by shamamahasany
Hi there. My name is Shamama and i will be applying to the curatorial practice graduate program at Glasgow school of arts. I am from Pakistan and i was wondering if there is anyone here from Pakistan as well who is already enrolled in the program and i can possibly get in touch with to get further information?Thanks! :smile:

Hi Shamama,

Thanks for getting in touch! I just had a quick check and you would actually be our first Pakistani student on this course! Yay!:congrats:
There are lots of Pakistani students at the University, and a large Pakistani community in the city, so I am sure you will feel at home here in no time.

If you have any specific questions please just let us know!

Look forward to welcoming you to Glasgow soon :smile:

- Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending