The Student Room Group

anyone have any tips for english language paper 1 and 2

aiming for a 5 i hate English just want it done with i do aqa
During the exam, come up with really basic ideas and then embellish the crap out of them using parts of the text(s) in the essay. Watch your timings. For p1q5: come up with a list of extended metaphors/themes you would like to fit into your creative description of the photo and then fit your picture around tht. p2q5: try to keep it formal and persuasive to your line of argument(s)
Original post by dcencima
aiming for a 5 i hate English just want it done with i do aqa

Timing is crucial.
Also, check out Mr Bruff's channel on YouTube
And drop in a load of subject terminology (as long as it's relevant) in the analysis questions and link to an interpretation (even if it's vague- synonyms if you're saying the same point and can't think of anything else to say)
Remember question 2 paper 1 is SUMMARY, but that still needs specific detail (e.g. 'Source A shows 12 people died from the weather but in Source B it just makes some people ill and have a "headache and cold")

Hope this helps
Reply 3
Original post by SKRevision
Timing is crucial.
Also, check out Mr Bruff's channel on YouTube
And drop in a load of subject terminology (as long as it's relevant) in the analysis questions and link to an interpretation (even if it's vague- synonyms if you're saying the same point and can't think of anything else to say)
Remember question 2 paper 1 is SUMMARY, but that still needs specific detail (e.g. 'Source A shows 12 people died from the weather but in Source B it just makes some people ill and have a "headache and cold":wink:

Hope this helps

yeh thanks this helps i watch mr bruff sometimes how would go about dropping in lots subject terminology i give at least two in every paragraph i write so btw do u have a guide on how my papragraphs i should aim for per question
Reply 4
Original post by saharan_skies
During the exam, come up with really basic ideas and then embellish the crap out of them using parts of the text(s) in the essay. Watch your timings. For p1q5: come up with a list of extended metaphors/themes you would like to fit into your creative description of the photo and then fit your picture around tht. p2q5: try to keep it formal and persuasive to your line of argument(s)

yeh i just have a problem making my writing interesting
yeh thanks this helps i watch mr bruff sometimes how would go about dropping in lots subject terminology i give at least two in every paragraph i write so btw do u have a guide on how my papragraphs i should aim for per question

I think two should be enough as part of some decent analysis- just link it well, e.g. this simile has xyz verb which makes the reader feel uneasy, creating a mysterious atmosphere

Personally I go for:
Paper 1

Q2) 3 detailed (Usually about a side, maybe slightly more)

Q3) As above

Q4) Try 1.5 sides, but mine ends up being slightly less (Brief intro saying my opinion about the statement; 3-4 paragraphs; Brief conclusion directly addressing question)

Paper 2

Q2) 3-4 Comparative paragraphs (depends how much there is to say really)

Q3) 2-3 detailed paragraphs

Q4) 3-4 detailed paragraphs

My Section B length varies a lot
Reply 6
I think two should be enough as part of some decent analysis- just link it well, e.g. this simile has xyz verb which makes the reader feel uneasy, creating a mysterious atmosphere

Personally I go for:
Paper 1

Q2) 3 detailed (Usually about a side, maybe slightly more)

Q3) As above

Q4) Try 1.5 sides, but mine ends up being slightly less (Brief intro saying my opinion about the statement; 3-4 paragraphs; Brief conclusion directly addressing question)

Paper 2

Q2) 3-4 Comparative paragraphs (depends how much there is to say really)

Q3) 2-3 detailed paragraphs

Q4) 3-4 detailed paragraphs

My Section B length varies a lot

by sides do u mean pages
by sides do u mean pages

Yeah
Reply 8
Yeah

so 3 detailed paragraphs for q2 and 3 on paper 1
Hi all - I've tried to deconstruct AQA Paper 1 on my blog, and there are links to my Kindle book which goes through the whole paper. I hope you find them helpful as they take you through both papers and try to get inside the examiner's head. If you go to the end of the blog and work backwards you'll find the language posts! examinershead.wordpress.com
You should definitely think out a flexible story in your head for section B, that usually helps me, so that I don't sit there having to think what I'm writing my story about.
Or I you do the description, just make sure you look at every datail of the picture really, and get that in your writing.

Quick Reply

Latest