Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I dont believe it
    I did so awful in my A-levels
    i got 2 Ds and a U!!!

ofcourse i missed my offers. I will never get into university with those kind of grades.
    should i even bother going through clearing??

surely i would never get into uni with 120points

:mad:
    i feel so cheated!! i worked so much harder than everyone that got all As

ican we re-sit are a-levels???
    or can resit some of the units???

ReputationRep:
    You could try retaking but make sure that you speak to a teacher about where you think that you went wrong. Laziness is obviously not your problem, possibly poor exam technique? If you're not happy with the teachers at your school, maybe try moving elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to re-sit the units,though I was told there are certain synoptic ones you can't resit.That's probably just hearsay though so don't take my word for it.I am fairly certain that which units you want to re-sit affects when you'll be able to retake them.

ReputationRep:
    My mate got in to uni with a D and 2 U's with a D at AS and he's doing well after just graduating, go for it although thats an Engineering course, less demand so lower entry grades.

(Original post by nafan)

there's a difference between working hard and working smart

not to be nasty but if you have done a levels and you still don't know the difference between "are" and "our" (even if english isn't your first language) the odds are rather stacked against you.

not that you can't do it of course..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nafan)
    I dont believe it
    i got 2 Ds and a U!!!

ofcourse i missed my offers. I will never get into university with those kind of grades.

join the club

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nafan)
    I dont believe it
    i got 2 Ds and a U!!!

I'm sorry. You should definitely try clearing, you never know your luck. If now, why don't you take a gap year and do some re-sits? What was your first uni choice?

ReputationRep:
    What course do you want to do at uni, nafan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nafan)
    I dont believe it
    i got 2 Ds and a U!!!

there will be universitys that acept those grades. ive not done particularly well with C D E but im going to bolton institute why dont you apply there? your grades are good enough for there i promise they let ppl in with 3 AS levels and 1 A2 and they still have places (its not as dis respected as it seems its coz its only just got university status)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    there's a difference between working hard and working smart

not to be nasty but if you have done a levels and you still don't know the difference between "are" and "our" (even if english isn't your first language) the odds are rather stacked against you.

not that you can't do it of course..
    thanks for the english lesson LOL (but i already knew that!!) i knew someone would do that if i made a little mistake!!

i think one reason why i did so awful was because i had such terrible teaching for the whole of AS business studies!! she never taught me a thing
    ---
    i will give clearing a try then
    ---
    I was only 7 marks off a C for economics, i got an A on one paper and Bs and Cs on all the others except for one where i really slipped up & got a U !
    ---
    I would really like to take a gap year but just dont have the money to go to one of those foreign country gap years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    What course do you want to do at uni, nafan?
    I really want to do economics. You need pretty high grades for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nafan)
    thanks for the english lesson LOL (but i already knew that!!) i knew someone would do that if i made a little mistake!!

i think one reason why i did so awful was because i had such terrible teaching for the whole of AS business studies!! she never taught me a thing
    ---
    ---
    I was only 7 marks off a C for economics, i got an A on one paper and Bs and Cs on all the others except for one where i really slipped up & got a U !
    ---
    I would really like to take a gap year but just dont have the money to go to one of those foreign country gap years

Nor do I but I'm still considering it.The idea was to work in a 9-5 job up until December and possibly compliment it with bar work on the weekend.At only £5 an hour,a 9-5 jobs gets you around £800 a month so between September and December you can earn around £3200 which should be enough to fund a few months on a gap year project.There are some good placements if you look around and you can schedule it so you get back a month or so before the June examinations.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to seem forthright, but have you considered not going to University? Plenty of people do not go to University and do well, it is not a must. What do you want to do? Have you spoken to career advisers?

Just consider all your options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    I don't want to seem forthright, but have you considered not going to University? Plenty of people do not go to University and do well, it is not a must. What do you want to do? Have you spoken to career advisers?

Just consider all your options.
    I want be teacher, its a graduate proffession

maybe i should consider careers but i just have have no idea what else i could do. i have spoken to 2 careers advisors
    their only advice was go to uni!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nafan)
    I dont believe it
    i got 2 Ds and a U!!!

Do you think you could improve on those grades with better teaching, better luck on the day etc, or not?

If you can do better by re-sitting then you owe it to yourself to do so. You will then open up more opportunities than you have now

If you feel that is the best you can achieve, then there are plenty of courses that would take you with those grades, or as AntiMagicMan pointed out, there is no obligation to go to university.

(Original post by nafan)

---
    ---
    ---
    i'm glad to hear you did actually know that..!

fair enough to blame your teacher but you wouldn't get the other D's / D and U just because of one bad teacher if you were actually capable of much higher than that.

give clearing a try but if you rush into a course, or really being objective about it you aren't ready to study at university level, there's not much point as you are likely to drop out anyway.

espeically if you say you worked really hard it would seem to be HOW you study and answer exams etc that is your problem and it would be much better to overcome this BEFORE uni.

rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loki)
    Nor do I but I'm still considering it.The idea was to work in a 9-5 job up until December and possibly compliment it with bar work on the weekend.At only £5 an hour,a 9-5 jobs gets you around £800 a month so between September and December you can earn around £3200 which should be enough to fund a few months on a gap year project.There are some good placements if you look around and you can schedule it so you get back a month or so before the June examinations.
    this was a possible plan of mine too but i have yet to find a job- i have been looking.
    i have found lots gap years id like to go on but just no money!!

ReputationRep:
    nafan what did you get in your year 11 exams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nafan)
    this was a possible plan of mine too but i have yet to find a job- i have been looking.
    i have found lots gap years id like to go on but just no money!!
    I haven't checked office work yet but I was told that an Ikea outlet around here is looking for full-time staff because of the amount of students who are quitting to go to University after holding summer jobs.I imagine this will be the same for a lot places.Failing that,find your nearest job centre and seek advice from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    i'm glad to hear you did actually know that..!

fair enough to blame your teacher but you wouldn't get the other D's / D and U just because of one bad teacher if you were actually capable of much higher than that.

give clearing a try but if you rush into a course, or really being objective about it you aren't ready to study at university level, there's not much point as you are likely to drop out anyway.

espeically if you say you worked really hard it would seem to be HOW you study and answer exams etc that is your problem and it would be much better to overcome this BEFORE uni.

rosie
    well your right, i suppose i cant blame it all on my teacher, i know it all but im not a very fast writer so its not easy for me to get it down on paper. but i learnt and remembered it all.

I really dont know what happened with my U in biology, i knew it all, i spent months revising and i really thought i had done very well !

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.