Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nafan)

I really dont know what happened with my U in biology, i knew it all, i spent months revising and i really thought i had done very well !
    we got an edexcel marker at our school and she says that the common pitfall is that candidates answer how THEY want to answer, not how the question does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaABB)
    nafan what did you get in your year 11 exams?
    6 Cs, 1 B and 2 Ds
    but i didnt work hard until study leave, i did almost no work the whole 2 years but then in study leave i revised 12hrs a day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nafan)
    6 Cs, 1 B and 2 Ds
    but i didnt work hard until study leave, i did almost no work the whole 2 years but then in study leave i revised 12hrs a day
    ok get your exam script sent back to you to see where you have gone wrong

if you were my friend and lived here i'd get you up to a good result.......... in a subject that i was doing

working with friends helps

ReputationRep:
    think about maybe doing a different degree course. economics is rather hard core and does require mathematical aptitude. maybe doing something along the lines of business studies/management studies with a modular degree would suit you better. economics at degree level is vastly different to economics at a level (so i've been told!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaABB)
    ok get your exam script sent back to you to see where you have gone wrong

if you were my friend and lived here i'd get you up to a good result.......... in a subject that i was doing

working with friends helps
    well noene really cares about GCSE results for university so theres really no point,
    i know where i went wrong- i didnt work hard all year so all my teachers entered me for the foundation papers!- gcses are easy if you just do the work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by achieb)
    think about maybe doing a different degree course. economics is rather hard core and does require mathematical aptitude. maybe doing something along the lines of business studies/management studies with a modular degree would suit you better. economics at degree level is vastly different to economics at a level (so i've been told!)
    I hate business studies!!! i really dont think i would find it interesting
    my economics teacher said economics is pretty much the the same at uni! (though he didnt actually do it!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nafan)
    I dont believe it
    I did so awful in my A-levels
    i got 2 Ds and a U!!!

ofcourse i missed my offers. I will never get into university with those kind of grades.
    should i even bother going through clearing??

surely i would never get into uni with 120points

:mad:
    i feel so cheated!! i worked so much harder than everyone that got all As

ican we re-sit are a-levels???
    or can resit some of the units???
    quite a few places are offering EE this year, so you may as well try your luck. go see a careers advisor.

love Katy ***

(Original post by nafan)
    well your right, i suppose i cant blame it all on my teacher, i know it all but im not a very fast writer so its not easy for me to get it down on paper. but i learnt and remembered it all.

I really dont know what happened with my U in biology, i knew it all, i spent months revising and i really thought i had done very well !
    how were you doing on past papers?

(Original post by ickle_katy)
    quite a few places are offering EE this year, so you may as well try your luck. go see a careers advisor.

love Katy ***
    yeah, I think you should be really careful to pick a place / course that's right for you - don't rush into something just because it's there and it's possible for you to get onto it.

(Original post by nafan)
    well noene really cares about GCSE results for university so theres really no point,
    sorry to post again btu this is not true.

ReputationRep:
    just to say that i started my gap year with zilch in my bank account, took on several jobs, and funded several months away teaching. as long as you don't go straight for the main gap companies, (they charge a bomb for I know not what) it is doable to take a gap year and not spend it all at home. look at companies like spw, vso, pod. the most important thing you need to look for is local support whilst on the placement, none of this insurance included rubbish, cos they use the cheapest policies around, on the whole.
    some people do just do badly with exams despite being well read or knowledgeable- maybe try to improve your exam technique with past papers etc. i only got the hang of history sources papers with a lot of practice!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear about your 2 Ds and a U..

Me? I got 7 As...

Kelly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    how were you doing on past papers?
    yeah, i could do the past papers- it was the real ones i couldnt do!
    i did all the past papers, i practiced them all.
    some were so easy, im sure a-levels are getting harder - not easier!

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid that I have to agree with everyone else on this matter. Practice, practice, practice! Honestly, I used to struggle a bit with Biology and Chemistry papers, but after you've done about a bjillion of them you realise that all the questions from past years all come up over and over again and you just need to cough up the answers when asked, little effort required!

Again, as everyone else has said, give clearing ago, if not, retakes! If you only flunked one paper in Bio you could easily push that up to a C which looks far more respectable. Anyway, best of luck with whatever you choose to do.

Kelly: What subjects did you get your grades in because 7 As (if you were being serious) is pretty damn incredible! I was chuffed to bits with AAA in bio,chem,math. Let alone another 4 on top of that!

Rick.

ReputationRep:
    Go through clearing anyway. If you get something fine, if not then there is always next year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, If your thinking about doing something like teaching then maybe you could try and get some related work something like a teaching assistant or in a youth group (you could even do this abroad) or something for a little while sometimes you can do NVQ's or other qualifications whilst working that way you can get some experience and see if you actually like it then you can apply to uni in a few years time, when it comes to applying to university you'll have a bit of experience under your belt maybe a qualification and the uni will take this into account. I failed all my A'levels when I was at school I'm now going to uni as a mature student after resitting an A'Level this year it may seem like the end of the world now but you'll probably find in the long run when you get to uni you'll be more confident and when it comes to getting a job afterwards you'll have work experience under your belt.

ReputationRep:
    My tip is to resit them and next time when you come to revise (assuming you don't do this already) just do all the past papers and check the answers each time you fill a question in. First year when I didn't do the past papaers I got DDE (Electronics, Computing and Physics - not counting General Studies as my university doesn't) then next time around I did the past papers and I've just gotten BCC (same order) getting 118/120 in one Electronics modual (which I got an E on last year) and all results like that - in the end I was unlucky to not get BBB or even higher though I'm not complaining as I've got everthing that I need for Birmingham.

Just remember to stick it out like I did and you'll do fine.

(Original post by nafan)
    yeah, i could do the past papers- it was the real ones i couldnt do!
    i did all the past papers, i practiced them all.
    some were so easy, im sure a-levels are getting harder - not easier!

no, i asked HOW you were doing on them.

i.e. what grades/marks were you getting when you did them timed under exam conditions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nafan)
    I dont believe it
    I did so awful in my A-levels
    i got 2 Ds and a U!!!

ofcourse i missed my offers. I will never get into university with those kind of grades.
    should i even bother going through clearing??

surely i would never get into uni with 120points

:mad:
    i feel so cheated!! i worked so much harder than everyone that got all As

ican we re-sit are a-levels???
    or can resit some of the units???

Contact some local independant colleges. They do intensive a levels so you can retake both AS and A2 in one year. it is a bit expensive though. FOR three, i should imagine its around 7000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    no, i asked HOW you were doing on them.

i.e. what grades/marks were you getting when you did them timed under exam conditions?
    As, Bs, some Cs

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.