The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Worried about not getting into Aston

I really want to get into Aston University but i am worried that i will not meet the requirements of BBB. Does anyone have any tips or any advice on what i could do ask it is my number one choice but i am extremely worried as i am finding it hard during exam season.
Thank you.
Lots of past papers, if the subjects you're doing have them. If you're doing some of the new A Levels, find the specimen papers and do them. If there are any questions you find come up often, make a flashcard with the question on one side and the mark scheme answer on the other
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Even if you don't get your offer of BBB, Aston may still accept you. I got into Aston with BBC, all you can do is try your best and it will all fall into place.
Reply 3
There's a number of factors at play. Your personal statement will be a strong deciding factor too. Putting it down as your first choice helps as well. You may want to consider contacting whoever is in charge of the course you have applied for (or at the least the first point of contact for potential undergrads in relation to your course) by email and asking them about their usual leniency.

My personal experience is this:
I applied to Aston to study Psychology BSc (as my first choice uni) with predicted grades of BBC. The standard offer for Psychology was ABB. (Keep in mind I got CCC in year 12). When I went to the Aston Uni Psychology Open day, I asked a lecturer who was the first year course leader (something along those lines) about their typical leniency and was informed: BBB is fine. They would take a BBC (even if they only did 3 A levels, which I did), a BCC student would be accepted given that they did a fourth A level previously, but anything below, unlikely. I got a BCC in year 13 so I presume I must've had a decent personal statement or another factor such as how this was the first year (as far as I was aware) that uni's didn't have a cap on how many students they could take on.

Hope that helps, other than that, the summary advice by Horsewithnoname is pretty good. Past/specimen papers are usually the way to go.
Reply 4
I'm in the same position; Aston is the only university and Neuroscience course I've fallen in love with but with how bad my recent biology papers went I'm petrified. So frustrating as I have so much passion for biology but just really struggling with the exam itself..
Reply 5
Original post by Ayhay
There's a number of factors at play. Your personal statement will be a strong deciding factor too. Putting it down as your first choice helps as well. You may want to consider contacting whoever is in charge of the course you have applied for (or at the least the first point of contact for potential undergrads in relation to your course) by email and asking them about their usual leniency.

My personal experience is this:
I applied to Aston to study Psychology BSc (as my first choice uni) with predicted grades of BBC. The standard offer for Psychology was ABB. (Keep in mind I got CCC in year 12). When I went to the Aston Uni Psychology Open day, I asked a lecturer who was the first year course leader (something along those lines) about their typical leniency and was informed: BBB is fine. They would take a BBC (even if they only did 3 A levels, which I did), a BCC student would be accepted given that they did a fourth A level previously, but anything below, unlikely. I got a BCC in year 13 so I presume I must've had a decent personal statement or another factor such as how this was the first year (as far as I was aware) that uni's didn't have a cap on how many students they could take on.

Hope that helps, other than that, the summary advice by Horsewithnoname is pretty good. Past/specimen papers are usually the way to go.

I'm applying for Psychology and Business. My predicted grades are BB in my A levels and a Distinction in my BTEC, but they gave me an offer of AB Distinction, even when I firmed them? Would they still accept me with BB Distinction. Or could I be accepted with CB Distinction * do you reckon? Really strange they would give me a higher offer than my predicted grades.
Reply 6
Original post by TimmyR
I'm applying for Psychology and Business. My predicted grades are BB in my A levels and a Distinction in my BTEC, but they gave me an offer of AB Distinction, even when I firmed them? Would they still accept me with BB Distinction. Or could I be accepted with CB Distinction * do you reckon? Really strange they would give me a higher offer than my predicted grades.

I can't really say much about A level and BTEC mixtures as I don't know enough personally or from others. I'm fairly certain it's typical to have a set offer, e.g. for me with A-levels like I mentioned before, the standard offer was ABB.

By the sound of it, your predicted grades are just a grade off from their offer, so it could be they still accept you if you receive what you're actually predicted. Your best bet is to ask the first year leader I suppose, or contact anyone else! Possibly use the Ask Aston Uni thread?
Reply 7
Original post by Ayhay
I can't really say much about A level and BTEC mixtures as I don't know enough personally or from others. I'm fairly certain it's typical to have a set offer, e.g. for me with A-levels like I mentioned before, the standard offer was ABB.

By the sound of it, your predicted grades are just a grade off from their offer, so it could be they still accept you if you receive what you're actually predicted. Your best bet is to ask the first year leader I suppose, or contact anyone else! Possibly use the Ask Aston Uni thread?

Do you know where the Ask Aston Uni thread is?

Also my course has entered clearing at BBC, does this mean they are still looking to fill places?
Original post by TimmyR
Do you know where the Ask Aston Uni thread is?

Also my course has entered clearing at BBC, does this mean they are still looking to fill places?

Hi,

You can find the official ask Aston thread here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2779671

Like most universities we are looking to fill places this year, you can see a full current list of course entry requirements here:

http://www.aston.ac.uk/clearing/vacancies/

Good luck on results day, especially if we are your firm choice.

Hope that helps
Josh
Reply 9
Original post by Aston University
Hi,

You can find the official ask Aston thread here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2779671

Like most universities we are looking to fill places this year, you can see a full current list of course entry requirements here:

http://www.aston.ac.uk/clearing/vacancies/

Good luck on results day, especially if we are your firm choice.

Hope that helps
Josh

Hi Josh,

Thank you for your reply. I have received a Distinction in my BTEC, which is what I need. Only waiting on my A level results now.

Would you know if I'd be able to apply for the same course in clearing at Aston if I miss the grades for A levels offer?

And yes, Aston is my firm choice! :smile:

Timothy Richardson
Original post by TimmyR
Hi Josh,

Thank you for your reply. I have received a Distinction in my BTEC, which is what I need. Only waiting on my A level results now.

Would you know if I'd be able to apply for the same course in clearing at Aston if I miss the grades for A levels offer?

And yes, Aston is my firm choice! :smile:

Timothy Richardson

Hi Timothy,

You'll most likely receive word when A level results are released in that case, as you'll need all of your grades. Only in extreme circumstances would i suggest you apply again e.g. you see the entry requirements drop to the grades you are holding.

If you have some really bad luck and do fall short, it's likely you'll also be made an offer for a foundation course.

Hope that helps
Josh
Wow, I'm worried about this too, im in year 12 atm and have to write a personal statement soon ):

Quick Reply

Latest