The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A (New): Depth in biology H020/2 - 06 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Hi guys! This is the official thread for discussing the OCR Depth in Biology exam in June. How is everyone feeling about it? What topics are you most concerned about?

OCR BIOLOGY A (new) - Afternoon (PM) exam - 6th June 2017

Specification

You can find the specification paper here and the specification here.

Resources

TSR Resource Library

Good luck!

250Exams on TSR logo orange.png

Scroll to see replies

Any predictions on what will come up?

I'm thinking immunity definitely has a very good chance.
Hi what else do you think will come up
Reply 3
I feel like quite a lot of biodiversity comes up in the depth papers. Could be wrong
Reply 4
What do you guys think will come up for the 5/6 markers that usually come up? I think cell division, transport in animals and plants will defo come up, in the breadth paper their wasn't any question on microscopy apart from one which was very different so i think that will come up too.
I reckon there's going to be a lot of animal biology in this paper. The first paper didn't have the heart, or lungs, or gas exchange. The HUGE topics were missing. I think 6 marker on lungs/heart, enzymes will probably come up in a question.
Reply 6
I think everyone's trying to predict specific topics that'll come up. Truth is, as you already know, they could throw in absolutely anything (cliché statement I know) but really, in all the new spec past papers I've done, you really learn not to be worried about what topics they'll throw in because there's no pattern. What you should really worry about is the way they ask you the questions. They're so crafty with the way they word the questions they really try and catch you out. I've learnt that OCR will try and link 2 topics into one question and it's up to you to interpret whether the question wants you to answer about whichever topic. So instead of trying specifically to revise for certain topics, revise all of them well and more importantly, tomorrow, try your best to interpret the question correctly. You'll be surprised how many marks you can lose blabbering on about something that isn't in the mark scheme

Lmao I didn't drop English for OCR to give me a comprehension paper but it is what it is. Good luck
Reply 7
Original post by Oxcy
I think everyone's trying to predict specific topics that'll come up. Truth is, as you already know, they could throw in absolutely anything (cliché statement I know) but really, in all the new spec past papers I've done, you really learn not to be worried about what topics they'll throw in because there's no pattern. What you should really worry about is the way they ask you the questions. They're so crafty with the way they word the questions they really try and catch you out. I've learnt that OCR will try and link 2 topics into one question and it's up to you to interpret whether the question wants you to answer about whichever topic. So instead of trying specifically to revise for certain topics, revise all of them well and more importantly, tomorrow, try your best to interpret the question correctly. You'll be surprised how many marks you can lose blabbering on about something that isn't in the mark scheme

Lmao I didn't drop English for OCR to give me a comprehension paper but it is what it is. Good luck

Totally agree with you mate.
Reply 8
Hoping its a hard paper, i did so bad in breadth... i think i got low 40's. If depth is hard ill probably have a chance at getting an A. I think there will be a 6 markers on animal or plant transport and another one on diseases. Expecting a experiment question on biodiversity.
Reply 9
what do we need to know about tracheal fluid?
Original post by IDEKOKAY
what do we need to know about tracheal fluid?

Basically that it is where gaseous exchange takes place inside an insect. Between the tracheal fluid and the air inside the tracheole.

Also, that in certain cases the tracheal fluid can be withdrawn to increase the surface area of the tracheoles so that more oxygen can be absorbed. This is more likely when the insect is a higher demand for more oxygen is high.
Good luck every one
Just had it put interphase for cell a, first question. I said the chromosomes had unraveled, DNA and organelles had been replicated which only occurs in interphase and envelope was saying I'll intact so it hadn't progressed to metaphase. What did you guys get?
The exam turned out well
Original post by Superquan
Just had it put interphase for cell a, first question. I said the chromosomes had unraveled, DNA and organelles had been replicated which only occurs in interphase and envelope was saying I'll intact so it hadn't progressed to metaphase. What did you guys get?

It asked for a stage of meiosis 1 though didn't it? And interphase isn't a stage of meiosis 1, meiosis 1 starts with prophase doesn't it?
Well I wrote prophase cz nuclear envelope is present and chromosomes are not really condensed n most of them r not attached to spindle fibre
Reply 16
some answers
prophase
% change= 28%
alveoli 6 marker: large SA to vol, thin walls with squamous cells reduces diffusion distance, capillaries nearby creates conc gradient
communicable diseases 6 marker: poor health, overcrowding, migrating to different areas and to reduce spread- ring vaccination, wash hands, sterilise medical equipment
mean should be 19 and not 20
xylem is continuous whereas phloem has end plates, xylem has bordered pits, but both vessels have dead organelles
What did people get for the glucose test

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also how did you do percentage change? Think I got that answer but can't remember

Posted from TSR Mobile
In prophase the nuclear envelopes breaks up.. DNA coils up and chromosome becomes condensed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending